• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Bangladesh & Sri Lanka 2013

Flem274*

123/5
Gazi and Shakib to find turn, unzud to disappoint posting 280 with taylor 100, KW and Watling 50s. Bangladesh 70 run lead.

#GambhiringandIknowit

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You don't really get much more favourable Day 1 conditions as a spinner but I've been vaguely impressed by Sodhi here. Martin's still the better bowler when he's fit and at his best but we've seen a few times over the last few seasons that it's a month to month proposition, and it clearly wasn't the case in the first Test, so I think he's justified his selection. I still think Patel would've been the best selection here but he's not in the squad so it's neither here nor there really.

I've got $100 on Nasir to top score this innings; would be backing him to surpass Mominul's 47 but he's going to have to ton up now basically so it's a tough ask at #7. Moment of truth.

Flem274*

123/5
You don't really get much more favourable Day 1 conditions as a spinner but I've been vaguely impressed by Sodhi here. Martin's still the better bowler when he's fit and at his best but we've seen a few times over the last few seasons that it's a month to month proposition, and it clearly wasn't the case in the first Test, so I think he's justified his selection. I still think Patel would've been the best selection here but he's not in the squad so it's neither here nor there really.

I've got $100 on Nasir to top score this innings; would be backing him to surpass Mominul's 47 but he's going to have to ton up now basically so it's a tough ask at #7. Moment of truth.
PEWS no stahp

centurymaker

International Captain
Not sure what Bangladesh think they're doing here, and I know they still have Nasir and Gazi to come, but their approach seems pretty helter-skelter. Running the risk of being all out 320 after which NZ will then have plenty of time to "bat once and bat big".
There's likely to be a lot of rain there, so this is effectively a 4 day test now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bangladesh should be looking at 300 as a minimum.
Gazi obviously has little chance of coming even close to replicating his first test heroics but Rahim and Nasir have not-ridiculous cases to claim they're the best two batsmen in the side. They're certainly the best in terms of technique IMO. The next partnership is crucial.

Flem274*

123/5
Haha, most people who advocate Patel seem to be shameless fanboys but you know I'm no such thing. I just think he's the best of a bad bunch really.
They've got you too...

I'm not convinced at all by Jeets' recent form. He's made a habit of tearing up county cricket and he has topped the spinners div 1 tally or something, but England have Kerrigan as their number three spinner so I'm not convinced by the English domestic batsmen either.

If Jeets can rip it up in the Shield, which hates spinners until the middle of February where it suddenly decides it loves them, then I'll be convinced. Until then, Vettori > Martin on a good day > KW > may as well bowl Guptill

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Why are we counting our chickens. They still have Rahim and a century maker from the first test. they could make anything from here.

Flem274*

123/5
Gazi obviously has little chance of coming even close to replicating his first test heroics but Rahim and Nasir have not-ridiculous cases to claim they're the best two batsmen in the side. They're certainly the best in terms of technique IMO. The next partnership is crucial.
Yeah Bangladesh bat deep and they're not the sorry Shakib/Tamim reliant unit they have been on previous tours, though their top order could benefit from some more beef.

Flem274*

123/5
On a random note I think Anderson will be good test bowler if he decides in a couple of years he has enough Watson effort overs under his belt and decides he's safe enough from injuries to let rip again.

I agree but I'm also really liking the current Kiwi attack, I think thy might keep them below that 300
Would be feeling a lot more confident with Southee and Vettori in it. Heck, just one would make me feel better.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah Bangladesh bat deep and they're not the sorry Shakib/Tamim reliant unit they have been on previous tours, though their top order could benefit from some more beef.
Apparently Mahmudullah was offered the number three position but decided he's rather cut oranges. What goes through these players' heads at times does me cold.

Flem274*

123/5
Apparently Mahmudullah was offered the number three position but decided he's rather cut oranges. What goes through these players' heads at times does me cold.
Crazy talk from Marmadoola. I can't remember much of him in 2010 so can't comment on his technical side as such, but I do remember thinking he looked the part of a batsman, and he tonned up so...

And by the looks of it early movement is barely a factor for home games. If you can play test spinners very well and are good against quicks on these sorts of pitches then you can bat anywhere you are needed.

Last edited: