Page 67 of 168 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 2506
Like Tree372Likes

Thread: ***Official*** New Zealand in Bangladesh & Sri Lanka 2013

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    How did he catch that.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I found another 'tv'

Ross just starting to find some rhythm now.
    post link on cricsim wall pls
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    post link on cricsim wall pls
    see crabs subbie
    Flem274* likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    btw

NEW ZEALAND SPIN BOWLER > FOURTH QUICK ARGUMENT

2011 - 2013

"Free at last. Free at last. Thank God Almighty I'm Free At Last."

REST IN PEACE

and hopefully

GRANT BRADBURN'S OPINION COUNTING

2013 - 2013

"The Last Stooge"

GO TO HELL

Last edited by Flem274*; 12-10-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Maybe we need to add Grant Bradburn's name to McHesson somehow. McHessburn?

Want Taylor to ton up here.

Disappointed for Fulton but not a bad average for the test.

Both openers fell to sweeping from off stump. Maybe they need to learn to sweep only from middle and leg.

Both openers fell to sweeping from off stump. Maybe they need to learn to sweep only from middle and leg.
    should only sweep from outside off IMO. Perfectly safe.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    should only sweep from outside off IMO. Perfectly safe.
    It is lunch break so just to make conversation I will make a long reply to this. I am not married to the following opinion - just want to see what you say in reply.
    NZ traditionally has a love hate relationship with the sweep. Better players of spin use their feet more than they sweep. Our best player of spin is Williamson hands down and the way he ticks it over is to chip down the track rather than sweeping.
    Ian Smith recalls a test match from the 80s in his autobiography where they were told if you get out sweeping you will not be playing the next test. So nobody swept and some off spinner got on top of the new zealanders finally John Bracewell came in who had missed the team meeting and he made a fighting 80 by sweeping anything and everything and nz made it to 270 odd.

That example excepted I have seen numerous dismissals out sweeping. Sure getting your pad outside the line of off stump might be safe but still seems to be a high risk shot overall unless you can either get your pad outside the line or its missing the stumps.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    I guess its fun to have alternate views. We had Bangers on the ropes at 12-2 and then brought on our spinners in the 7th over. A combination of Wagner and Anderson instead might have dismissed Mominul (he's not that great) and saved us 180 runs. Bartin basically got his eye in. 2 spinners and 2 seamers did not prove to be a successful formulation. I note that in your team for the next match you have even opted for an additional seamer as well.
    It was strange captaincy in any case to bring Martin on so early. Perhaps McCullum trying a little too hard to be unpredictable instead of just leaving the new ball with fast bowlers in the few overs in which it may move off the straight.

For my team I think that if you zoom in, and then zoom in again, and then look a little closer at the available options, and then get out your microscope, once you reach the level of magnification of a gnat's balls and quantum weirdness then in these conditions Martin is just edged out by the other two. Not the right type of spin bowler for this sort of slow damp subcontinental pitch and is just generally not accurate enough - Vettori flighty straight-breaks but with a four-ball every over or two, thus completely removing the benefit of being a Vettori-clone in the first place.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    I've been saying it for ages - as long as Kane is bowling as he is, and Bucko/Ish aren't up to it, we play an extra batsman or seamer based on the conditions. Not saying the extra batsman (Brownlie) would've scored runs but often creating scoreboard pressure by scoring 500+ is worth an extra bowler on its own, especially against a side of Bangladesh's inexperience.
    I've been in favour of four seamers plus Williamson in most conditions for a while now so agree with that part. Subbing Brownlie in for Sodhi/Martin in this attack would be fairly bold though - just maybe an option if Anderson wasn't a walking injury risk, or if Brownlie could bowl like Ryder before he was too unfit to bowl - might just be able to get away with it. Though really we'd have a side well placed to win some time on day 6 .

I hope NZ score 100 from the next 20 overs and give themselves 37 overs to dismiss Bangladesh who have shown time after time that they manage to lose from reasonably comfortable positions. It could end up being a bit of a bowl off between Martin and Sodhi too perhaps.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

It is lunch break so just to make conversation I will make a long reply to this. I am not married to the following opinion - just want to see what you say in reply.
    NZ traditionally has a love hate relationship with the sweep. Better players of spin use their feet more than they sweep. Our best player of spin is Williamson hands down and the way he ticks it over is to chip down the track rather than sweeping.
    Ian Smith recalls a test match from the 80s in his autobiography where they were told if you get out sweeping you will not be playing the next test. So nobody swept and some off spinner got on top of the new zealanders finally John Bracewell came in who had missed the team meeting and he made a fighting 80 by sweeping anything and everything and nz made it to 270 odd.

That example excepted I have seen numerous dismissals out sweeping. Sure getting your pad outside the line of off stump might be safe but still seems to be a high risk shot overall unless you can either get your pad outside the line or its missing the stumps.
    The way I see it, good batsmen use the sweep not as a run-scoring option, but to force the spinner to change their line of attack. It's a high risk shot, but if used a couple of times, it can force both a field change and for the bowler to change his line and length, opening up other run scoring options.

KW doesn't sweep because he doesn't need to; he can already play all the shots and score runs all around the field. Fulton's run scoring options are limited so I'm happy for him to use the sweep to manipulate the field settings and the bowler. As soon as he's succeeded in that regard he should shelve it, because yes it is a risky shot.
    Hurricane likes this.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    I've been in favour of four seamers plus Williamson in most conditions for a while now so agree with that part. Subbing Brownlie in for Sodhi/Martin in this attack would be fairly bold though - just maybe an option if Anderson wasn't a walking injury risk, or if Brownlie could bowl like Ryder before he was too unfit to bowl - might just be able to get away with it. Though really we'd have a side well placed to win some time on day 6 .
    Yeah, all things considered they probably picked nigh-on the best line-up with the cards they were dealt. No Southee, Gillespie a form/injury risk, Brownlie with a history of spin struggles/not a part-time option. Probably came down to Wagner v Sodhi with the latter winning on the hope of turn.

what, can't watch this on my isky account
    what is "crabbs subbie?"

Thread Information