• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Bangladesh & Sri Lanka 2013

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I've been saying it for ages - as long as Kane is bowling as he is, and Bucko/Ish aren't up to it, we play an extra batsman or seamer based on the conditions. Not saying the extra batsman (Brownlie) would've scored runs but often creating scoreboard pressure by scoring 500+ is worth an extra bowler on its own, especially against a side of Bangladesh's inexperience.
I've been in favour of four seamers plus Williamson in most conditions for a while now so agree with that part. Subbing Brownlie in for Sodhi/Martin in this attack would be fairly bold though - just maybe an option if Anderson wasn't a walking injury risk, or if Brownlie could bowl like Ryder before he was too unfit to bowl - might just be able to get away with it. Though really we'd have a side well placed to win some time on day 6 :happy:.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I hope NZ score 100 from the next 20 overs and give themselves 37 overs to dismiss Bangladesh who have shown time after time that they manage to lose from reasonably comfortable positions. It could end up being a bit of a bowl off between Martin and Sodhi too perhaps.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It is lunch break so just to make conversation I will make a long reply to this. I am not married to the following opinion - just want to see what you say in reply.
NZ traditionally has a love hate relationship with the sweep. Better players of spin use their feet more than they sweep. Our best player of spin is Williamson hands down and the way he ticks it over is to chip down the track rather than sweeping.
Ian Smith recalls a test match from the 80s in his autobiography where they were told if you get out sweeping you will not be playing the next test. So nobody swept and some off spinner got on top of the new zealanders finally John Bracewell came in who had missed the team meeting and he made a fighting 80 by sweeping anything and everything and nz made it to 270 odd.

That example excepted I have seen numerous dismissals out sweeping. Sure getting your pad outside the line of off stump might be safe but still seems to be a high risk shot overall unless you can either get your pad outside the line or its missing the stumps.
The way I see it, good batsmen use the sweep not as a run-scoring option, but to force the spinner to change their line of attack. It's a high risk shot, but if used a couple of times, it can force both a field change and for the bowler to change his line and length, opening up other run scoring options.

KW doesn't sweep because he doesn't need to; he can already play all the shots and score runs all around the field. Fulton's run scoring options are limited so I'm happy for him to use the sweep to manipulate the field settings and the bowler. As soon as he's succeeded in that regard he should shelve it, because yes it is a risky shot.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I've been in favour of four seamers plus Williamson in most conditions for a while now so agree with that part. Subbing Brownlie in for Sodhi/Martin in this attack would be fairly bold though - just maybe an option if Anderson wasn't a walking injury risk, or if Brownlie could bowl like Ryder before he was too unfit to bowl - might just be able to get away with it. Though really we'd have a side well placed to win some time on day 6 :happy:.
Yeah, all things considered they probably picked nigh-on the best line-up with the cards they were dealt. No Southee, Gillespie a form/injury risk, Brownlie with a history of spin struggles/not a part-time option. Probably came down to Wagner v Sodhi with the latter winning on the hope of turn.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
@Hendrix - post your email address or just make a temp email address and post it in this thread or on my wall and I will give you a tip.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
@Hendrix - post your email address or just make a temp email address and post it in this thread or on my wall and I will give you a tip.
thanks, I'll just use Flem's cryptic link for now but if that fails I'll post my email.

Cricinfo spoiling me.

Flem274*

123/5
Anderson has struck me as a bit keen to stay back on defense against the spin. That's dodgy and now he's out. Bugger.

i was about to compliment how intelligent he was in manouvering the field too. Smash a six when everyone is up, open up the single options when Rahim follows the ball around.

Flem274*

123/5
oh ffs

Watling :(

extra bounce? Rahim took it high.

Commentators think the same (just turned the ****s on). I feel dirty now.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Will they actually get 50 overs in today from now? If so NZ may want to just bat out the next 10 and then send Bangladesh in.

Sohag Gazi's average in both disciplines being done a good favour in this game.