• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Bangladesh & Sri Lanka 2013

Mike5181

International Captain
Because Test cricket isn't some sandbox for kids who average 70 on A tours. And no-one in the game would argue Sodhi has a hardened and unsentimental temperament that's poles apart from Martin Crowe's at the same age either; he's a very young 20-year-old by modern standards. He's not one of these guys who's targeted cricket as a career path despite it being about his fifth preference as a pure sport, because he sees the game as weak. Having a worldwide connotation with ****ness will hurt him bitterly.
Stop reading his twitter posts.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Because Test cricket isn't some sandbox for kids who average 70 on A tours. .
ignoring the rest of the post, this. 100% this.

The selection is a) arrogant b) lacking in foresight. There is simply nothing to gain and a ****load to lose. Destroy a young bowler's confidence while also destroying Wagner's incumbency. It's just such poor, poor policy. There's absolutely no justification for it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
We have been through this before with young players in the black caps. And the general wise counsel said let them develop in FC cricket. Maybe John Bracewell can do us a favour and get him into county cricket.

All this said I would drop Bartin and keep Sodhi for the 2nd test just in case the occassion got to him in his debut. I felt he bowled slightly better today.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
We have been through this before with young players in the black caps. And the general wise counsel said let them develop in FC cricket. Maybe John Bracewell can do us a favour and get him into county cricket.

All this said I would drop Bartin and keep Sodhi for the 2nd test just in case the occassion got to him in his debut. I felt he bowled slightly better today.
Tbh I have more sympathy for Bartin. He earned his place through years of FC performance. Sodhi has an empty resume.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Tbh I have more sympathy for Bartin. He earned his place through years of FC performance. Sodhi has an empty resume.
and honestly, it's really hard for me to agree with this given how ****ing amateur Bartin has been throughout this test, but it would make so much more sense than whatever McHesson is advocating.

There was never a rhyme nor reason for Sodhi's selection in this squad, and it's absolutely outrageous that he was selected for the test.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
and honestly, it's really hard for me to agree with this given how ****ing amateur Bartin has been throughout this test, but it would make so much more sense than whatever McHesson is advocating.

There was never a rhyme nor reason for Sodhi's selection in this squad, and it's absolutely outrageous that he was selected for the test.
I don't think either of them should be selected. They're both well below standard. If you put a gun to my head and told me I had to pick one of the two then it'd be bartin though

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I could argue BArtin cost us victory in this game by that crap over when they were 12-2 releasing all pressure.
Secondly although 33 isn't very old. he moves like an old man when fielding off his own bowling and should have swallowed that caught and bowled. Finally as a finger spinner he has less excuses for bowling waist high full tosses (although he too bowled better today).

Mike5181

International Captain
I've seen nothing from Patel in the last couple of years that would indicate he's much better than these two tbh. I still remember how bad he was against Zimbabwe.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I've seen nothing from Patel in the last couple of years that would indicate he's much better than these two tbh. I still remember how bad he was against Zimbabwe.
jeets in India? really not even close to how bad this pair is.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Thoughts on today so far:

Bracewell bowled well. Still too short but he looked more likely to take wickets that Boult did.

Sodhi well and truly out-bowled Bartin, some of his deliveries were beautiful.

The reaction times for these cameramen is shocking

Rudds is great

Edit: McCullum's captaincy has been rubbish

Last edited: