• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG’s Top 100 Test Batsmen - Bowling Discussion

Flem274*

123/5
I'll be happy as long as the list is somewhat grounded in reality because I'm not insecure and biased.

Actually if this became liquorice allsorts I'd still follow for the entertainment and the suspense. Would almost be better come to think of it.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm completely objective and unbiased and like everyone else I'm absolutely not trying to push an agenda for any particular player, so as long as DoG is realistic enough to cap Christian names to start with a letter in the first half of the alphabet, middle names at a maximum of four letters and surnames aligning with trades or professions, I think that will be fair for everyone.

watson

Banned
We of course await exactly how the scoring for this exercise will be calculated, but given the kind of statistical parameters we can expect I reckon there’s a very strong chance that Barnes, Hadlee and Murali will indeed be the top 3, and at the very least I’ll be surprised if they don’t all make the top five.

I don't think any of those things will happen.
Neither do I. But it's no big deal to indulge in a bit of wishful thinking. Also, I have no problem if the Top 3 are 1.Murali, 2.Hadlee, 3.Barnes as they quite clearly deserve their high status. Although I would prefer 1.Marshall, 2.Lillee, and then 3.Barnes or Imran for reasons that involve more than just raw statistics.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Once the top 3 isn't Murali, Hadlee and Barnes I will be happy. Accept that Pidgeon may beat out MM (longevity, top order wkts), but see why anyone else should.

Looking for a strong showing from Trueman as well.
So you will not be happy to have anyone other than Marshall, McGrath and Warne in the top 3. You've got Murali at #4 in the other thread on top 10 bowlers and batters. It would be very weird if your #4 is not acceptable to you in top 3 but #5 or #6 is. Don't you think so?

watson

Banned
Incidently, in this study: Blogs: Test bowlers analysis: a follow-up | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo the Top 5 pace bowlers of all-time are;

1. Barnes
2. Hadlee
3. Lillee
4. Imran
5. Marshall

The Top 5 Spinners of all-time are;

1. Murali
2. Warne
3. O'Reilly
4. Grimmett
5. Kumble

In the category 'Middle era (1920-1969): Table of top bowlers' the England quick John Snow gets ranked 12th just behind Alan Davidson. Unfortunately, Jack Cowie doesn't feature any where as far as I can see.

watson

Banned
I'll be happy as long as the list is somewhat grounded in reality because I'm not insecure and biased.

Actually if this became liquorice allsorts I'd still follow for the entertainment and the suspense. Would almost be better come to think of it.
I'm still not convinced :p

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
In the category 'Middle era (1920-1969): Table of top bowlers' the England quick John Snow gets ranked 12th just behind Alan Davidson. Unfortunately, Jack Cowie doesn't feature any where as far as I can see.
Ten bowlers ahead of Davo between 1920-1969? Wow. Who were they? I’m thinking off the top of my head maybe: Tate, Grimmett, O’Reilly, Verity, Bedser, Laker, Lindwall, Trueman, Statham, Gibbs. Miller, Lock or Benaud in place of Statham or Gibbs perhaps?

Not that I would rank anywhere near ten bowlers in that time period ahead of Davo myelf – in fact, I reckon there are only a couple at most I’d place ahead of him.

smash84

The Tiger King
Imran will have a shot due to his peak
I hope so......Imran did have the best post world war II peak for any bowler......was quite an insane peak too. And for the decade of the 1980s he had the best average (and SR?). Finishing ahead of the likes of Malcolm Marshall and Hadlee

smash84

The Tiger King
The above also suggests one thing, that Marshall's peak was not that long in terms of the number of years it seems. He seemed to have tapered out by 1990, and in the early 80s Holding and Roberts were preferred to him....hmmm

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall's absolute peak was really 1983-89, bookended by series' against India. I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that for those six years he was - with apologies to Fiery Fred - the finest fast bowler who ever drew breath.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
So you will not be happy to have anyone other than Marshall, McGrath and Warne in the top 3. You've got Murali at #4 in the other thread on top 10 bowlers and batters. It would be very weird if your #4 is not acceptable to you in top 3 but #5 or #6 is. Don't you think so?
My statement was if they are the to 3 in that order, because then it would be evident that as most analysis, this too would be heavily influenced by WPM. Thats all it meant.

smash84

The Tiger King
But then Marshall really does suffer from longevity doesn't he? Compared to let's say a Hadlee or an Imran?