• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG’s Top 100 Test Batsmen - Bowling Discussion

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just to take this thread in another direction, I think Bond should be one of the top 10 bowlers on DoG's list. Maybe even top 5.
I hope not. While he did well when he actually played, he did brilliantly against the weaker opponents and if you take out Zim and Bang he has 63 Test wickets at over 26. I hope Siddle cracks the top hundy.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Bond would definitely be in the running for top ODI bowler, but I don't think he played enough tests to be considered in that realm.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Bond would definitely be in the running for top ODI bowler, but I don't think he played enough tests to be considered in that realm.
George Headley ;)

Everyone takes me so seriously.... its almost like you can't detect sarcasm on a forum.

smash84

The Tiger King
fair enough.....btw who would you rate as a better test match bowler? Shoaib Akhtar or Shane Bond?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Having a cap on any of the parameters seems absurd for me. If that is the case should have cap for everything. For example if there is a cap for longevity or WPM, there should be one for batting or bowling average as well. Otherwise you are just taking off outliers out of the equation.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
The argument for capping WPM is that after a certain number (5), it's more an indication of the lack of bowling support on your own team, than you own ability. If longevity isn't capped then for some there is an argument that Sachin is better than Bradman (extreme example) or that Kumble is better than Laker, Grimmett and O'Reilly ect.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The argument for capping WPM is that after a certain number (5), it's more an indication of the lack of bowling support on your own team, than you own ability. If longevity isn't capped then for some there is an argument that Sachin is better than Bradman (extreme example) or that Kumble is better than Laker, Grimmett and O'Reilly ect.
That argument is moot since the advantage of WPM is offset by increase in Avg and SR being not able to bowl at tailenders regularly. If WPM (rather WPI) is capped, so would be Average and SR. Statistically parameter of average and parameter of longevity are similar. Capping one shows bias.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
That argument is moot since the advantage of WPM is offset by increase in Avg and SR being not able to bowl at tailenders regularly. If WPM (rather WPI) is capped, so would be Average and SR. Statistically parameter of average and parameter of longevity are similar. Capping one shows bias.
I largely agree but showing bias is not the end of the world. We want to be able to place more emphasis on what we consider important.

I think it's fine to say neforehand that we think, for example, Marshall was better than Hadlee, and that if there's a factor that Hadlee excelled at (WPM) that efforts should be made to ensure that that factor doesn't receive a disproportionately large weighting.

Changing it in-game is wrong though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Fully agree with that argument, what I was saying with regard to wins though is that the same way that DoG rates hundreds more in wins than in high scoring draws, then performances and 5fors should count more in wins.

But yes cap wpm after 5 and also cap longevity similar to the batting ratings.

Of equally great importance, place greater weight on percentage of top order wickets taken over lower order wickets, especially #9-11.
Yeah wickets after 5 come with no effort at all, and wickets after playing for 15 years also don't take any effort I guess? Why are you assuming that wpm will be a factor? Even if it is, asking for capping it is not the best idea IMO. You don't get a high wpm by just taking one extra wickets every match (which may have diminishing marginal value) but by taking tenfers more frequently. And surely there is no diminishing returns to tenfers in different matches.

Whatever, it's DoG's research. Why are you so insecure about how his methodology rates bowlers? Already planting ideas to knock down Hadlee and Murali? Just relax and watch what comes, man.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah wickets after 5 come with no effort at all, and wickets after playing for 15 years also don't take any effort I guess? Why are you assuming that wpm will be a factor? Even if it is, asking for capping it is not the best idea IMO. You don't get a high wpm by just taking one extra wickets every matchmatch (which may have diminishing marginal value) but by taking tenfers more frequently. And surely there is no diminishing returns to tenfers in different matches.

Whatever, it's DoG's research. Why are you so insecure about how his methodology rates bowlers? Already planting ideas to knock down Hadlee and Murali? Just relax and watch what comes, man.
Everything in these ratings is based on weighting, even in the batting ratings longevity was capped because it's about getting it right and falling in line with or totally debunking in some instances, historical perspective.

That being said, eargerly awaiting the bowling countdown.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Everything in these ratings is based on weighting, even in the batting ratings longevity was capped because it's about getting it right and falling in line with or totally debunking in some instances, historical perspective.

That being said, eargerly awaiting the bowling countdown.
Weighting and capping are two different functions mate. One is totally acceptable and other shows total bias, unless capping can be explained and justified with an statistical exercise.

watson

Banned
As long as Dennis Lillee makes the Top 5, John Snow makes the Top 25, and Warne is in front of Murali then I'll be happy.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
As long as Dennis Lillee makes the Top 5, John Snow makes the Top 25, and Warne is in front of Murali then I'll be happy.
Once the top 3 isn't Murali, Hadlee and Barnes I will be happy. Accept that Pidgeon may beat out MM (longevity, top order wkts), but see why anyone else should.

Looking for a strong showing from Trueman as well.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Once the top 3 isn't Murali, Hadlee and Barnes I will be happy. Accept that Pidgeon may beat out MM (longevity, top order wkts), but see why anyone else should.

What a ridiculous statement. Your irrational hatred for Murali and Hadlee used to be mildly amusing but now it is getting a bit distasteful

watson

Banned

I don't think that SF Barnes would be out of place in the Top 3-5 as he was an awesome bowler by all accounts, and has the stat's to match too.

Also, if you put away the idea that Murali chucked and look objectively at his raw numbers then I would have to agree that there is a reasonable case to declare that Murali is the best and greatest bowler of all time. He's not my cup of tea, but I can understand why other people rave.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
We of course await exactly how the scoring for this exercise will be calculated, but given the kind of statistical parameters we can expect I reckon there’s a very strong chance that Barnes, Hadlee and Murali will indeed be the top 3, and at the very least I’ll be surprised if they don’t all make the top five.

I don't think any of those things will happen.