• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Day/Night Test Cricket - Shield trials sheduled to gauge viability

Hooksey

Banned
Cricket Australia will hold a round of the upcoming Sheffield Shield season in day/night format with the intention of staging a day/night test against New Zealand in 2015/16.

The trials will occur in round 9 and take place in Victoria, South Australia and Queensland. These venues are felt to be the most likely to host a night test.

Extensive tests have been conducted on various coloured balls, and a pink Kookaburra ball has come up trumps and will be used in the day/night Shield matches.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry silly question it is late at night here. Is the red ball too difficult to pick up against the dark night sky so they have to switch to pink?

Hooksey

Banned
Sorry silly question it is late at night here. Is the red ball too difficult to pick up against the dark night sky so they have to switch to pink?
Balls other than red have always deteriorated quicker. We've seen that over the years with the white balls. Apparently the manufacturers have finally improved the durability of the easy to see pink ball to the point where Cricket Australia is prepared to use them.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Test cricket is all about changing circumstances so it'll be interesting what kind of new ideas come in for night conditions.

Do people think playing at night will be a sizeable advantage to the bowlers?

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
If day/night games are accepted it'll be the biggest change to test cricket in a century or so. We need change though so I hope it happens.

uvelocity

International Coach
with the changes in athleticism, equipment, boundaries and especially the changes in lack of starch of australia's batting order, i feel there are no historical hindrances to change in this regard. bring it on. would actually like the ashes to still stay the same, even if the timezones suck though.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Test cricket is all about changing circumstances so it'll be interesting what kind of new ideas come in for night conditions.

might be balanced by a wet ball

Hooksey

Banned

We have been playing day/night 50 over cricket for eons, and those matches have involved batting under both day and night conditions.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah definetly a good idea, and a much better place and time to trial it than Kent in September.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
We have been playing day/night 50 over cricket for eons, and those matches have involved batting under both day and night conditions.
they trialled this (day/night SS) back in the late nineties I think, and Michael Hussey was one of many who complained that batting became very difficult at night time, the balance between bat and ball was thrown out according to him

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, from what I've heard Australia is the best place it would work because of the lack of dew in the evenings. Probably among the countries that needs the change least though.

I definitely think tests in England in July could start later on weekdays. Not even necessarily day night games, just games that start at 1 or 2 and go on until 8 or 9, with the floodlights assisting in the final session. If time is lost for rain bad light, then they could shift it back to 11 with the evening time being space to make overs up.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not like they'd have to play at night when it's dark, just go until 8pm or whatever and make use of daylight savings, final session of each test match could be prime time on TV

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, from what I've heard Australia is the best place it would work because of the lack of dew in the evenings. Probably among the countries that needs the change least though.
heaven knows the Brisbane test needs it

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Bigger question now is if they can sell the tv rights for these matches, and for how much

I suspect the payoff is going to be nice and the d/n ball will finally get rolling