• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Day/Night Test Cricket - Shield trials sheduled to gauge viability

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
They day they schedule Test matches for the Basin is the day I leave NZ tbh.

So yeah, hopefully they can find a way to maximise revenue and still play at the Basin.

And Hooksey - nothing will have changed at the Basin since 1999. The toilets are still ****, though I can't recall a match recently where the women have been forced to queue up for the men's - and it's been sold out for the England Tests for sure.

typo in there do you mean westpac?

Hooksey

Banned
...And Hooksey - nothing will have changed at the Basin since 1999. The toilets are still ****, though I can't recall a match recently where the women have been forced to queue up for the men's - and it's been sold out for the England Tests for sure.
That day we asked the women why they were queuing up for the cubicles in the men's toilets, and they said it was because the queue was too long in the ladies. So it wasn't a matter of the ladies toilets being closed - it was just the crowds being too long and they probably just couldn't hold on.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I am interested in more details of this washroom event.:ph34r:

Was there much conversation between the men and the women?

Hooksey

Banned
I am interested in more details of this washroom event.:ph34r:

Was there much conversation between the men and the women?
In answer to your question not that much was being said. The odd one liner and some laughing and that's about it.

When I came back from having my first piss I remember mentioning to my Kiwi mates that the girls were in the man's toilets and they didn't seem to be surprised about it at all.

Hooksey

Banned
Raul Dravid is all for giving day/night tests a trial:

"We must give it a try, keep an open mind. The game's traditions aren't under threat if we play test cricket under lights. I know there have been some concerns about the durability of the pink ball, but I have had some experience of it, having played for the MCC, and it seemed to hold up okay".

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Good on Australia for trying things but I cant see this working out

They havent really solved the problem with the ball . Tv income may not grow all that much as there will certainly be much more competition for viewers in prime time. I doubt attendances will grow much as the game will feel even longer for those attending all day.
In england its particularly pointless, as an ashes series there would likely lose a lot of australian interest as play will begin around midnight rather than 8 pm their time. Generally all day games in England are allready day-night games in India.

I think 4-day tests are more worthy of consideration. Besides forcing-through better pitches leading to better cricket they would also lead to a higher proportion of the match being played on the weekend where there is no need for evening cricket.
It's always worthwhile trying it out but at the moment it's not particularly needed in England as Test cricket is healthy here.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Raul Dravid is all for giving day/night tests a trial:

"We must give it a try, keep an open mind. The game's traditions aren't under threat if we play test cricket under lights. I know there have been some concerns about the durability of the pink ball, but I have had some experience of it, having played for the MCC, and it seemed to hold up okay".
Not sure if intentional, but that's pretty close to how the actual Hooksey pronounced Dravid's first name :)

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Plans firm for day-night cricket test | Stuff.co.nz

Hobart or Adelaide will host New Zealand and Australia, in test cricket's first day-night match.

Details are still to be confirmed but the chief executives from both country's cricket governing bodies announced today that the historic match was likely to take place in November 2015.

The Black Caps are scheduled to tour Australia at that time and plans are in place for a test to be played with a pink ball and at a start time of around 2pm (4pm NZT).

Cricket Australia have trialled a pink ball in their four-day Sheffield Shield competition and will do so again this November.

Reports vary about how the pink ball stands up to 80 overs of cricket, but Cricket Australia (CA) chief executive James Sutherland said he was confident one would be suitable for tests.

David White, of New Zealand Cricket, echoed those sentiments and stated that this country would soon be hosting day-night tests as well.

A trial match will be conducted in the coming summer and White envisaged a time when at least one test each summer was played under lights.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Exciting times. I think test cricket needs these day/night games to become possible, even if it turns out to have some limitations in dewy conditions.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I agree. Its the best thing for cricket. If the ball is okay I honestly don't see any downsides. It would be so awesome to have Test cricket on until 9pm. So many more people can enjoy the cricket after work, both at the ground and at home. Better yet, they can go to the beach and the shops during the morning and not miss anything!

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
A few downsides but very exciting overall.

Some I can think of:
1. Will the ball swing at night, when humidity (or is it overall air pressure?) tends to drop?
2. Is fielding harder at night? Hasn't been a major issue in ODIs by over 5 days there might be some significance.
3. Will the pitch deteriorate to the same extent given that it will see less baking under the sun? leave covers off during the day? Could be a problem for spin bowlers.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
From what I've read, humidity doesn't actually matter that much in terms of swing - it's more important that the air is still. I can think of plenty of cases where the ball has swung around corners in day-night ODI's, so I don't think that should be an issue.

And yeah, I reckon the covers should be left off during the day (unless it's raining).

Meridio

International Regular
A few downsides but very exciting overall.

Some I can think of:
1. Will the ball swing at night, when humidity (or is it overall air pressure?) tends to drop?
2. Is fielding harder at night? Hasn't been a major issue in ODIs by over 5 days there might be some significance.
3. Will the pitch deteriorate to the same extent given that it will see less baking under the sun? leave covers off during the day? Could be a problem for spin bowlers.
Re. 1) Relative humidity will rise, because the air becomes colder and can hold less moisture as a result. That's why you get dew. You can also get different winds at night, which could affect swing.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Will the pink ball be used for the whole test? Or will it be a red ball in daylight and pink once the lights are on?

In Victoria in Jan and Feb you have pretty decent daylight until 8pm anyway...

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Heef won't like this but ten years from now if we go all day night tests, that will be the end of the basin.