• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Furball's Greatest XI

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
That seems to be the precedent he's setting.

Can't wait to see smiley's list of Imran and 10 emoticons.

smash84

The Tiger King
Samaraweera is completely inoffensive, Sreesanth is hilariously bad, Zaheer should be nowhere near that list and I can think of a much worse opening pair. Tendulkar's also kind of out of place as well.

But anyway, this isn't my most hated list, ****s.
:laugh:

That seems to be the precedent he's setting.

Can't wait to see smiley's list of Imran and 10 emoticons.
You got that wrong mate. It would consist of 10 Imrans and 1 emoticon :ph34r:

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anyway, let's kick this off before smalishah spams the thread with more images from his Imran **** bank. And there's no-one better to kick it off with than my favourite cricketer of all time:

James Anderson

My man-crush on Jimmeh has been at least 10 years in the making. Although I'd watched bits and bobs of international cricket as a kid in the 1990s, and played for a couple of years for my local team before other commitments got in the way, it wasn't until the summer of 2003 where I decided that I was going to make a proper effort to actually take an interest in and follow the sport. Coincidentally, this was the same summer that Jimmeh made his Test bow for England, and it was easy to identify with him given his rockstar haircuts and the fact that he's only 3 years older than me. He looked like someone who could easily be one of my mates. It helped that he was quite good too, taking 5 wickets on debut against Zimbabwe, before dominating South Africa in the ODI tri-series which followed. He was clearly a talented young bloke, he fought hard with the bat, and as we were later to see, he's got a great sense of humour as well.

Sadly for Jimmeh his honeymoon period was short lived, as a poor Test series followed (I think my dislike of Graeme Smith all stems from this series and the way he batted against Anderson tbh) and Anderson spent the next 4 years in and out of the side. Sadly (or luckily, depending on your perogative), I hadn't yet found CricketWeb, but everywhere on the internet where I chatted cricket, derision for Anderson was clear every time he was selected. At times it seemed like I was the only person who rated him.

I think that's why I'm such a fanboy of his now, because his proving just about everyone wrong and turning into a truly world class bowler and a master of his craft feels almost like a personal triumph for me in a way. If I'd been a member of CricketWeb back in 2006/07 I would have had plenty of "I told you so" moments over the last 3-4 years as he's gradually proven all his doubters wrong. "He's like a vampire, he dies when the sun comes out" became "he can't bowl in Australia", which became "he can't bowl in Asia", which became "he can't bowl in India." Over the last 5 years he's bowled brilliantly in all conditions to all batsmen.

On song, he's the best bowler to watch in the world, and he has every trick in the book. Conventional swing in or out, reverse swing, seam movement, the lot. He's truly turned into a man for all conditions, and while his career figures might not ever do him justice in my eyes, I think it's fitting that such a talented player will probably end his career as England's greatest ever wicket-taker. I can't think of any player I'd rather have taking the new ball in my Greatest XI.

Furball's Greatest XI

10. JM Anderson

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Predictable, but deserved. WAFG.

In fact when I think about it Zaheer's quite possibly the first reserve quickie. Definitely makes my 2nd XI. So :p to you Cabinet.
Tbh, I just named the whole of India's 2011 bowling line up, as I've rarely seen such contempt for a sporting side than you had for them. Bowling attack could've had more imagination I'll admit.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
We must have different definitions of "brilliant" bowling. Your list your call though :) looking forward to the rest.

smash84

The Tiger King
Jimmy Anderson is your all time favorite. I thought that title was reserved for Graeme Swann, marginally ahead of Ian Salisbury

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm acting astonished!

It is a salient point you make about his performances away. In 2010 a popular opinion was to only play him at home because of the way he bowls. Then came the 2010-11 Ashes. The following winter he crossed Sri Lanka off the list by consistently getting Sangakkara out on his home turf. The year after MS Dhoni called him the difference between the sides as England won in India for the first time in 28 years. Quite a remarkable player.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
...... and Furball makes a promising start - will be interested to see who else he has tucked away in his sporran

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
GF is obviously just going to name the current English XI, how are you guys not seeing this?

Now that I've pissed on his plans he's going to have to rethink this and actually put up a proper bunch in order not to appear defeated by me.

**** I'm good.