Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Furball's Greatest XI

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    [/B]Comments, questions, suggestions all welcome.
    None of 'em would be in my equivalent XI, but I think that the line-up encapsulates all that is Ginger Furball. Probably not quite enough ****s in there for the team to really reflect your personality, but it is still quintessentially Furball.
    smalishah84 likes this.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Four of the bowlers have been slip fielders for prolonged periods of time. Wonder what the record is for a test side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Banned
    No drink carrier? Surely Gilchrist is the most unlucky to have missed out?

Furball's Greatest XI

Comments, questions, suggestions all welcome.
    Absolutely love your enthusiasm, always enjoy reading your write-ups and totally detest your team.
    Last edited by bagapath; 06-09-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    smalishah84 likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Andrew Flintoff

If ever there someone personified the ďstats donít tell the whole storyĒ argument, that someone would have to be Andrew Flintoff. In 20 years time when a new generation of CWebbers come along and try to work out what the fuss is over someone averaging 32 with the ball and 31 with the bat. Those of us who watched him play know that he was more, so much more than that.

His defining series will always be the 2005 Ashes series, and with good reason Ė he was mighty with both bat and ball Ė but his breakthrough series occurred 2 years earlier against South Africa where he played a number of superb innings at 7. He proved himself to be a hard hitting, clean striker of the ball and batted extremely well with the tail. His 142 at Lordís was a cracking innings, bettered IMO by his 95 at The Oval. Flintoff came to the wicket with England still 4 in arrears, and 3 more wickets quickly fell to leave England 502/8, a lead of just 18 runs. Flintoff was the next man out having scored 85 of the 99 runs the 9th wicket partnership had brought, giving England a crucial lead and allowing them to chase a series levelling victory.

His coming of age as a bowler occurred that winter, but where we will always remember him is the Ashes 2005. That marathon spell at the Oval on day 4. The fire and hostility every time he bowled. The way things just seemed to happen for him every time he had the ball in his hand. And of course, THAT over at Edgbaston.

I still get goosebumps watching that. Just listen to the crowd. Cricket, in fact all sport, is about theatre, drama and emotion. Itís the big moments that we remember. Thereís no way in hell Flintoff would swap bowling that over for a bowling average of 27 over his career. We loved Freddie because he had us on the edge of our seats, with him every step of his run up, willing him on because he was our hero. You donít get the crowd with you the way Freddie did without being a great player. Statistics can only tell you so much about the story that unfolds during a game. Some people can point to the fact that yes, Flintoff perhaps didnít get the wickets that he really should have in Test cricket. For all his talent as a bowler he didnít run through sides the way he should have, as his three 5 wicket hauls will attest to. Stats be damned though. Iíve never seen a player lift a crowd the way Flintoff did that summer or would continue to do every time he bowled until his body got the better of him. You donít do what he did on the final morning of the 2009 Lordís Ashes Test without being great.

Incidentally, in this team Iíve accidentally created the perfect role for Flintoff. His batting IMO was always better suited to 7 than it was to 6. It should give him a license and a freedom to play his natural attacking game and go after the bowlers. And as a bowler, McGrath, Anderson, Warne and AN Other can do the grunt work. Flintoff can bowl short, sharp, hostile spells that get the crowd on their feet and the opposition batsmen jumping around their crease, a role that should be perfect for him. Perhaps having that sort of role would have given Flintoff the numbers to match his greatness.
    That brought it all back - not seen it for a while - actually on reflection that was the greatest ever series, and by a distance - can't think really why I ever thought '81 was better

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    I'd be quite intrigued to see the Warne-Swann partnership in action. It would be fascinating to see if they rubbed off on each other and influenced each other.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Ask your sister.
    Keep it clean. Family forum and all (I'd make a great mod!)

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Keep it clean. Family forum and all (I'd make a great mod!)
    Well in fairness he was including the family in his post.

Really well done Furball, I'm not going to lie but I thought you would struggle to find 11 players that you like. I think the 5 man bowling unit you've picked is epic considering the era that you were selecting your players from. Great job.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Someone else should do one these.

Suggesting Bagapath so we can detest his side as well.
    bagapath likes this.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Great thread. Want to hate on Swann and his writeup, but the selection of Flintoff is more than enough to balance that out.

Banned
    I'd be quite intrigued to see the Warne-Swann partnership in action. It would be fascinating to see if they rubbed off on each other and influenced each other.
    I can see it now: "Swann caught in yet another phone sex scandal".

Graeme Swann

Swann and Prior don't half have a set of tegs between them
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I agree that someone else should do one of these. I'd do one but a I cbf and b half my players were picked by Furball. (Have picked my XI so will share it with you all one day)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Well in fairness he was including the family in his post.

Really well done Furball, I'm not going to lie but I thought you would struggle to find 11 players that you like. I think the 5 man bowling unit you've picked is epic considering the era that you were selecting your players from. Great job.
    Opening batsman were a real struggle. Sehwag probably would have made it a couple of years ago and for some reason Cook doesn't feel quite right in the side.

U19 Vice-Captain
    That Flintoff over was almost sexual. It seemed like every ball was a 100+ mph jaffa.
    Last edited by Expressway76; 07-09-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread Information