• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Standout player of 2003??

Who in you're opinion has been the standout international cricketer in 2003?

• Brian Lara

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Matt Hayden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Graeme Smith

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Rahul Dravid

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Steve Waugh

• Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Adam Gilchrist

• Andrew Flintoff

• Michael Vaughan

• Herschelle Gibbs

• Makhaya Ntini

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Jason Gillespie

• Muttiah Muralitharan

• Stephen Harmison

• Chris Gayle

• Daryl Tuffey

• Shaun Pollock

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Stuart MacGill (he's actually the top wicket taker :lol:)

• James Anderson

• other(???)

• Total voters

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
Any chanceless Test century is a good achievement. But achievements must always be taken in context, and when comparisons are made the context should always be remembered.
Wasn't he dropped on 335?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He'd already made 3 chanceless centuries by then.:)
Anyway, I didn't see that, I heard of it, but then I also heard that Butcher dropped Jayawardene off Flintoff at The SSC, and he certainly didn't. It was a "hard" chance in the estimation of most, and these usually turn-out not to be chances at all but something the fielder got half a finger on and had no "chance" whatsoever of catching.
I also heard he should have been lbw 1st ball, but thereafter is was a good innings.

Hero_Don

School Boy/Girl Captain
By far the standout cricketer would have to be Ricky Ponting with his almost Bradman like stats

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really wish people would stop talking about "Bradman-like stats" and such.
Bradman averaged 100 over a career. Ponting has done so in one year.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Erm, correct me if I'm wrong, but 100 is the same as 100, so for the year in question, Pontings 100 average was Bradman-like since he also averaged 100 (albeit over a longer time)

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
Erm, correct me if I'm wrong, but 100 is the same as 100, so for the year in question, Pontings 100 average was Bradman-like since he also averaged 100 (albeit over a longer time)
Wahey! A victory for common sense!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
But Bradman didn't average 100.... :alien8:

krkode

State Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk: same difference, mate. :P

Calling someone's yearly average "Bradman-esque" or "Bradman-like" is a fair comparison. Period of time doesn't matter. No one is saying Ponting is Bradman reborn or Ponting is better than Bradman. They're just saying that his average for the year 2003 is very much like Bradman's, which it quite clearly is.

I mean, look at it: 100 vs 99.94...I think the resemblance is close.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But the fact remains, Bradman had years where he averaged in excess of 150.
I just don't think there's any point comparing a career to a year.