Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Should Michael Hussey be rated as one of the ATG??

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Karan is the most unsourced person on CW IMO
    Each one has a different way of judging players, I don't go by stats alone, I feel hussey is one of the most reliable batmen I have seen, and m looking at his overall record, tests, ODIs and T20s, he is a versatile cricketer who can be relied upon in any kind of situation, and you can easily do well after you are past 30, but if u r well experienced, don't think many guys after that age would succeed with little or no experience.

It can be argued whether he is an ATG or not, but I surely have reasons to start the debate..
    Last edited by karan316; 23-08-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    Is this your homework Larry?

nothing wrong with the debate, a big improvement on that match fixing thread anyway. I've just disagreed with you on just about every issue you've raised, I don't really mean that comment ftr, I was being a bit harsh
    There are two colours in my head

nothing wrong with the debate, a big improvement on that match fixing thread anyway. I've just disagreed with you on just about every issue you've raised, I don't really mean that comment ftr, I was being a bit harsh
    That match fixing thread was targeted towards the money minded approach which has been adopted by all boards and the ICC recently who are focused only on generating revenue, I had clearly mentioned that I didn't mean match fixing should be made legal... My point was that a well established format shouldn't be tinkered with to make it more entertaining and ICC should find other ways of promoting the game.

Quote Originally Posted by karan316 View Post
    That match fixing thread was targeted towards the money minded approach which has been adopted by all boards and the ICC recently who are focused only on generating revenue, I had clearly mentioned that I didn't mean match fixing should be made legal... My point was that a well established format shouldn't be tinkered with to make it more entertaining and ICC should find other ways of promoting the game.
    so it was an ironic thread? You had us all fooled

so it was an ironic thread? You had us all fooled
    Nup, I was just criticizing something , and there was nothing wrong with that thread.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    His exciting move to the Sydney Thunder will probably secure his place as an ATG
    He did have a chopper entrance, right?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Debutant
    Each one has a different way of judging players, I don't go by stats alone, I feel hussey is one of the most reliable batmen I have seen, and m looking at his overall record, tests, ODIs and T20s, he is a versatile cricketer who can be relied upon in any kind of situation, and you can easily do well after you are past 30, but if u r well experienced, don't think many guys after that age would succeed with little or no experience.

It can be argued whether he is an ATG or not, but I surely have reasons to start the debate..
    It is ironic when people say they don't go by stats when they confirm a player's reliability. Of course you go by stats. You just don't realise it.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    It is ironic when people say they don't go by stats when they confirm a player's reliability. Of course you go by stats. You just don't realise it.
    I do not go by stats alone, Hussey hasn't crossed 10000 run mark which has been a kind of benchmark(according to some) for the modern batsmen, Nor has he ever scored a double century. His record in a couple of countries hasn't been impressive. So yes, for the stats munchers, he is just a good cricketer.

International Debutant
    I do not go by stats alone, Hussey hasn't crossed 10000 run mark which has been a kind of benchmark(according to some) for the modern batsmen, Nor has he ever scored a double century. His record in a couple of countries hasn't been impressive. So yes, for the stats munchers, he is just a good cricketer.
    Hey no one tells you what to think eh bud? You sound like a maverick. Tell me would you rate Phil Hughes an atg?

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Kind of a strange question there BB. While you might not rate Hussey an ATG, I don't think it's absurd to, certainly not as absurd as it would be to rate Hughes as one.

Hussey played 79 tests and had a batting average of 51. In my opinion anyone who plays that many tests and maintains that sort of average is pretty much an ATG.

Also, Hussey was the man during the 2006 Ashes, which was a huge series for Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Kind of a strange question there BB. While you might not rate Hussey an ATG, I don't think it's absurd to, certainly not as absurd as it would be to rate Hughes as one.

Hussey played 79 tests and had a batting average of 51. In my opinion anyone who plays that many tests and maintains that sort of average is pretty much an ATG.

Also, Hussey was the man during the 2006 Ashes, which was a huge series for Australia.
    Nah, Ponting was the main man.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post

Its an absurd question but to make a point. Thread starter says he's not a stats man. That he looks beyond them or something. A cricketer's reputation is contained in his stats. They are an accumulation of his career and marker to his quality. That is why you'd never consider Hughes an atg. But if the thread starter was more than a stats muncher, as he claims, he'd be able to assess Hussey's average against atg contenders who average much the same. Hussey's long stretch of poor scores and the fact he couldn't get a place when the other greats of his era were available (despite Hussey's versatility) argues against him being an atg. He wasn't as reliable as Karan says and only a person overly impressed with his 50 average would think so. Lastly the comment about Hussey being special bcos he succeeded after 30 is a baseless comment relying on a meaningless statistic; his age.
    Last edited by the big bambino; 24-08-2013 at 04:41 PM.

your best years as a batsmen are probably 29-33, but after 35 you can drop off suddenly, the age thing only helps Hussey IMO, meant he developed his game in FC cricket and then enjoyed his best years as a test player without having to grow into his position and game much

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    That's not what happened with Hussey, though. He didn't slowly develop and refine his game and hit a peak in his 30's, he had to radically change it or he was going to be dropped by WA. What Hussey was lionised for as a Test player (dat cover drive, hitting 6's, being an excellent OD player) didn't exist for first 10 years of his FC career. He deserved credit for it, of course, but no more because he was older when he finally found a method that worked.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 25-08-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

still had plenty of FC cricket behind him, changing a gamestyle is a little easier than learning long form cricket in test matches.

In any case, his age didn't run against him, it really isn't a huge factor for batting until you hit the age where you drop off and never come back

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information