• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Michael Hussey be rated as one of the ATG??

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'm pretty sure you'll find that every half decent Australian cricketer in that era honed their skills in County Cricket, as did every West Indian cricketer for 20 years before that. :p
And the English honed their skills in Australian club cricket, due to it being of a similar standard :p

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think Hussey is an all-time great in Test cricket, he was very good but not a great. It could certainly be argued for one day cricket though.

the big bambino

International Captain
From 1994 (when Hussey debuted in fc cricket) Australia have had these batsmen: Ponting, Hayden, Langer, Waugh, Waugh, Slater, Gilchrist, Martyn, Taylor and Clarke. I prefer 6 of that 10 over Hussey and maybe the remaining 4 as well. I'd prefer David Boon and Alan Border from the years just preceding as well. I can't see a player like Hussey, who was carried through a prolonged poor patch in a struggling side, would be anywhere near an Aussie atg XI.

bagapath

International Captain
Great player and awesome human being but ATG? Sadly, no!
Duh! Can you please rank the top 10 human beings in cricket based on their awesomeness?

I never get it when charity, chivalry, fighting for LGBT rights, adopting orphaned whales etc get mixed up with run scoring or wicket taking skills.

Who cares if Hussey bought reading glasses for his granny or whether he poured milk into the cup of that homeless man? This is only about cricket, dude. Botham, Warne and such assholes FTW.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Karan is the most unsourced person on CW IMO
Each one has a different way of judging players, I don't go by stats alone, I feel hussey is one of the most reliable batmen I have seen, and m looking at his overall record, tests, ODIs and T20s, he is a versatile cricketer who can be relied upon in any kind of situation, and you can easily do well after you are past 30, but if u r well experienced, don't think many guys after that age would succeed with little or no experience.

It can be argued whether he is an ATG or not, but I surely have reasons to start the debate..

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
nothing wrong with the debate, a big improvement on that match fixing thread anyway. I've just disagreed with you on just about every issue you've raised, I don't really mean that comment ftr, I was being a bit harsh

karan316

State Vice-Captain
nothing wrong with the debate, a big improvement on that match fixing thread anyway. I've just disagreed with you on just about every issue you've raised, I don't really mean that comment ftr, I was being a bit harsh
That match fixing thread was targeted towards the money minded approach which has been adopted by all boards and the ICC recently who are focused only on generating revenue, I had clearly mentioned that I didn't mean match fixing should be made legal... My point was that a well established format shouldn't be tinkered with to make it more entertaining and ICC should find other ways of promoting the game.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
That match fixing thread was targeted towards the money minded approach which has been adopted by all boards and the ICC recently who are focused only on generating revenue, I had clearly mentioned that I didn't mean match fixing should be made legal... My point was that a well established format shouldn't be tinkered with to make it more entertaining and ICC should find other ways of promoting the game.
so it was an ironic thread? You had us all fooled

the big bambino

International Captain
Each one has a different way of judging players, I don't go by stats alone, I feel hussey is one of the most reliable batmen I have seen, and m looking at his overall record, tests, ODIs and T20s, he is a versatile cricketer who can be relied upon in any kind of situation, and you can easily do well after you are past 30, but if u r well experienced, don't think many guys after that age would succeed with little or no experience.

It can be argued whether he is an ATG or not, but I surely have reasons to start the debate..
It is ironic when people say they don't go by stats when they confirm a player's reliability. Of course you go by stats. You just don't realise it.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
It is ironic when people say they don't go by stats when they confirm a player's reliability. Of course you go by stats. You just don't realise it.
I do not go by stats alone, Hussey hasn't crossed 10000 run mark which has been a kind of benchmark(according to some) for the modern batsmen, Nor has he ever scored a double century. His record in a couple of countries hasn't been impressive. So yes, for the stats munchers, he is just a good cricketer.

the big bambino

International Captain
I do not go by stats alone, Hussey hasn't crossed 10000 run mark which has been a kind of benchmark(according to some) for the modern batsmen, Nor has he ever scored a double century. His record in a couple of countries hasn't been impressive. So yes, for the stats munchers, he is just a good cricketer.
Hey no one tells you what to think eh bud? You sound like a maverick. Tell me would you rate Phil Hughes an atg?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Kind of a strange question there BB. While you might not rate Hussey an ATG, I don't think it's absurd to, certainly not as absurd as it would be to rate Hughes as one.

Hussey played 79 tests and had a batting average of 51. In my opinion anyone who plays that many tests and maintains that sort of average is pretty much an ATG.

Also, Hussey was the man during the 2006 Ashes, which was a huge series for Australia.