• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Aussies in Aussie domestic season?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
On form don't see how WA can't pick Allenby,county form of a batsmen,mediums just additional.
Because Hogan, if he comes back, would be the incumbent on a British passport. Plus SA can't go for Crook with Botha on the list.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, but he would be playing here on his English passport. Ergo, overseas player.

Same thing with Robson, Jaques, Allenby, Hogan et al.

brockley

International Captain
No the English Aussies play as locals.
Any idea what Qadir doing just took 5/32 vs Sri Lanka under 23?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No the English Aussies play as locals.
I think you're wrong brockley, but I can't actually find a source either way that states it outright.

I'm pretty sure they're just removing the rule that stipulates that an Australian passport holder or someone born in Australia can't play as an overseas player, meaning Robson and Hogan will become the overseas players for NSW and WA respectively.

Otherwise they'd probably break the ECB rules relating to county cricket; I don't think you can play as a local there if you're also playing as a local somewhere else.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think you're wrong brockley, but I can't actually find a source either way that states it outright.

I'm pretty sure they're just removing the rule that stipulates that an Australian passport holder or someone born in Australia can't play as an overseas player, meaning Robson and Hogan will become the overseas players for NSW and WA respectively.

Otherwise they'd probably break the ECB rules relating to county cricket; I don't think you can play as a local there if you're also playing as a local somewhere else.
You can't play as a local in two countries. So if Robson were to decide to play for New South Wales as a local player he'd become an overseas player for Middlesex, which would mean Middlesex would need to release one of Robson or Rogers.

He'd also be in breach of his Middlesex contract which could get a bit messy legally.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You can't play as a local in two countries. So if Robson were to decide to play for New South Wales as a local player he'd become an overseas player for Middlesex, which would mean Middlesex would need to release one of Robson or Rogers.

He'd also be in breach of his Middlesex contract which could get a bit messy legally.
Yeah exactly. I'm pretty sure Robson will be playing as an overseas player for NSW for that reason.

brockley

International Captain
Robson could always be called up to the English Performance squad,would ruin all our plans,wouldn't put England past doing it.England called up Ballance after a gun season in Zimbabwe.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Why would you even bother entertaining the idea of selecting a young cricketer who wants to play for England when you only pick 4 or 5 batsman each game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Robson could always be called up to the English Performance squad,would ruin all our plans,wouldn't put England past doing it.England called up Ballance after a gun season in Zimbabwe.
If Robson is selected in the performance squad (as I'd think he's almost certain to be) it'll be based on his recent performances, not some attempt to ruin an Australian plan.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If Robson is selected in the performance squad (as I'd think he's almost certain to be) it'll be based on his recent performances, not some attempt to ruin an Australian plan.
They might not though, given letting him play Shield gives him plenty of FC cricket and means they can bring another player in the Performance Squad - not unlike what Aus A did last season, not calling up Hughes nor Khawaja because they were playing in the CC anyway.

Then again, England probably would want him in the squad to try and secure his loyalty, if nothing else.

brockley

International Captain
I frogot Ricky Wessels and Brendon Nash they are technichally english aren't they.Remembering Ricki grew up in QLD.