Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Top 10 Batsmen and Bowlers of All Time

Just like few did not think Hadlee and Murali are of top 10.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    cbf going all the way to 10 seriously, but imo McGrath is the number one quick of all time where only bowling is concerned, likewise Murali the best spinner.*

*Depending on whether we finally decide if Sri Lanka is a dust storm or an airport, because it definitely can't be a dust storm at an airport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    cbf going all the way to 10 seriously, but imo McGrath is the number one quick of all time where only bowling is concerned, .
    How do you differentiate between McGrath and Marshall as the best ever?

I'm not the biggest Marshall fan. I loved McGrath. I think when you look at the most consistent bowlers in all conditions, these two do come out on top.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    McGrath was a great bowler during an era where great bowlers were rare and during a time when batsmen prospered more than they ever had through a combination of easier batting conditions, improved batting technology and there simply being a glut of excellent batsmen.

Those batsmen tamed many a talented bowler who could have been special, but McGrath kept them in line.

All those factors are outside the control of both Marshall and McGrath, and I'm sure Marshall would have been successful during McGrath's era had he played and may well have beaten McGrath's peers by a similar margin to McGrath, but he didn't play during McGrath's time and the gap between Marshall and his peers wasn't the same as the gap between McGrath and his peers. In an exercise where there are many names worthy of the best ever tag I had to separate the best bowlers with some pretty harsh criteria. Otherwise I'd be here all day and get no where.

Batsmen
    Bradman
    Sobers
    Hobbs
    Pollock
    Headley
    Hammond
    Sutcliffe
    Hutton
    Chappell

A few guys who I might swap around on any given day, and there are multiple options that I'd be perfectly happy with in the 10th spot.

McGrath
    Marshall
    Murali
    Warne

Honestly those 4 are the best spin and pace bowlers, and there is pretty much no separating them. If pressed, I'd go for McGrath and Murali, based on bowling alone. The others, in no particular order:

Barnes
    Grimmett
    O'Reilly
    Ambrose
    Lillee
    Procter
    Akram

Again, all interchangeable, and on another day, I might pick any of the other greats to replace Lillee, Procter and Akram.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. A.C Gilchrist 7. Imran Khan 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    cbf doing the batsmen

1. Warne
    2. Marshall
    3. McGrath
    4. Wasim
    5. Hadlee
    6. Imran
    7. Ambrose
    8. Lillee
    9. Barnes
    10. Trueman
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    McGrath was a great bowler during an era where great bowlers were rare and during a time when batsmen prospered more than they ever had through a combination of easier batting conditions, improved batting technology and there simply being a glut of excellent batsmen.

Those batsmen tamed many a talented bowler who could have been special, but McGrath kept them in line.

All those factors are outside the control of both Marshall and McGrath, and I'm sure Marshall would have been successful during McGrath's era had he played and may well have beaten McGrath's peers by a similar margin to McGrath, but he didn't play during McGrath's time and the gap between Marshall and his peers wasn't the same as the gap between McGrath and his peers. In an exercise where there are many names worthy of the best ever tag I had to separate the best bowlers with some pretty harsh criteria. Otherwise I'd be here all day and get no where.
    I have also been trying to grapple with this issue. McGrath was one of among a pack in the 90s when Wasim, Waqar, Walsh, Ambrose, Pollock, Donald were all doing pretty well. It is only post 2000 when most of these guys were beginning to go out that he really stood out from the pack. So I am not sure how far ahead he really was from the pack for the first half of his career.
    kyear2 likes this.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I have also been trying to grapple with this issue. McGrath was one of among a pack in the 90s when Wasim, Waqar, Walsh, Ambrose, Pollock, Donald were all doing pretty well. It is only post 2000 when most of these guys were beginning to go out that he really stood out from the pack. So I am not sure how far ahead he really was from the pack for the first half of his career.
    Pollock is a particularly interesting benchmark for McGrath. Similar sorts of bowlers, similar ages and speeds (though McGrath was admittedly quite a bit taller). At the start of 2003, the two also had similarly magnificent records: Pollock with 278 wickets at under 21, and McGrath with 422 wickets at 21.45. However from 2003 onwards, Pollock averaged "only" 27.79 while McGrath continued to average around 22 despite one or two significant injuries in that time.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 26-08-2013 at 02:26 AM.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Batsmen
    Bradman
    Sobers
    Hobbs
    Pollock
    Headley
    Hammond
    Sutcliffe
    Hutton
    Chappell

A few guys who I might swap around on any given day, and there are multiple options that I'd be perfectly happy with in the 10th spot.

McGrath
    Marshall
    Murali
    Warne

Honestly those 4 are the best spin and pace bowlers, and there is pretty much no separating them. If pressed, I'd go for McGrath and Murali, based on bowling alone. The others, in no particular order:
    Barnes
    Grimmett
    O'Reilly
    Ambrose
    Lillee
    Procter
    Akram

Again, all interchangeable, and on another day, I might pick any of the other greats to replace Lillee, Procter and Akram.
    Agree that Marshall, McGrath, Warne and Murali have separated themselves from the rest of the pack, just better than everyone else. Your list is a bit harch on Lara, Viv and Sachin in your batting ratings especially since Viv was universally seen as better than Chappell during their careers and Lara is seen by many as arguably the second best batsman ever and Sachin's record is beyond reproach and they are both below a batsman who was the no. 2 opener on his own team who scored at a rate in the high 30's.
    It is your rankings and your are entitled to your opnions, just seem a bit strange to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    How do you differentiate between McGrath and Marshall as the best ever?

I'm not the biggest Marshall fan. I loved McGrath. I think when you look at the most consistent bowlers in all conditions, these two do come out on top.
    What brought you around?

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    For one I agree, McGrath didn't separate until the great bowlers retired and honestly the ones that replaced them were not that good.

Don't worry Smali, don't think it will happen again any time soon.
    smalishah84 likes this.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    .....WAC

Chappell and Sutcliffe are both very underrated in my opinion.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Chappell and Sutcliffe are both very underrated in my opinion.
    I agree with regard to Chappell, and he makes my top ten. Just not better than Viv, Lara or Sachin IMHO.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    What brought you around?
    I assume you're referring to the fact I'm not Marshall's biggest fan? There's no doubting his consistency to get the job done in most conditions against most people. He and McGrath succeeded in all environments.

I don't necessarily think they're the best, but the ones with the most all round skills.

McGrath was a very good bowler but I see nothing that separates him from the pack if that pack includes Ambrose or Hadlee.

Marshall as a pace bowler, and Murali and Warne as spin bowlers, are fairly unanimously separated from the rest. But I think the rest of the pace bowlers have strengths and weaknesses that make them fairly comparable.
    Last edited by hendrix; 26-08-2013 at 06:55 PM.
    kyear2 likes this.

I also find it very interesting comparing the "top 10" to the "all time teams". You wouldn't have Ambrose and McGrath in the same team, for example. And there wouldn't be much point in Murali and Warne together. Imran usually makes it as a 3rd pace bowler, but probably wouldn't make the top 5 bowlers of all time. Wasim Akram, being a left arm swing bowler and reverse swing maestro makes my team because of the variety he brings, but again might not make my top 5 bowlers of all time.

I think you're not losing much between many of the bowlers in the top 10.
    kyear2 and Coronis like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information