• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kyle Jarvis quits Zimbabwe to sign multi-million dollar deal with GWS Giants

Justo

U19 Debutant
Disappointing. Reckon he could have been one of Zimbabwe's best fast bowlers (not that that's saying much). Can't blame him though given the pay, instability etc from playing for Zimbabwe vs County cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't blame the boy, really.

I do think it's maybe time for the ICC to have another look at what constitutes "domestic" players tho. If a chap has a British or EU passport (as I'm imagining Jarvis must) I don't think we'd be losing too much by letting them play over here as non-overseas players whilst remaining available for their countries of birth and/or upbringing.

Works ok in football and, to a lesser extent, rugby too.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't blame the boy, really.

I do think it's maybe time for the ICC to have another look at what constitutes "domestic" players tho. If a chap has a British or EU passport (as I'm imagining Jarvis must) I don't think we'd be losing too much by letting them play over here as non-overseas players whilst remaining available for their countries of birth and/or upbringing.

Works ok in football and, to a lesser extent, rugby too.
But is that the issue? I read it that he makes more money in county cricket and misc t20's than he would playing for Zimbabwe (if he gets paid) so he doesn't want to be available for Zimbabwe duties because it means he misses out on CC and t20 payments while he's away playing for Zim.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting decision as Im not convinced he will cut it in County cricket. May be asking to be let back in to the Zim setup in 2-3 years.

Chook Herron

School Boy/Girl Captain
Even if he doesn't make it in county cricket, his prospects of living in the UK and finding a career outside cricket would be better than returning to Zimbabwe.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
But is that the issue? I read it that he makes more money in county cricket and misc t20's than he would playing for Zimbabwe (if he gets paid) so he doesn't want to be available for Zimbabwe duties because it means he misses out on CC and t20 payments while he's away playing for Zim.
I dunno the specifics of the Jarvis case, but if he wants to be style himself as an Azhar Mahmood styley T20 gun for hire a county career is more likely to stop him playing in the various and assorted T20 tournaments than his Zim duties would, I'd guess.

As broader point I think something needs to be done tho. I mean, as an England fan I want to see what's best for us, but as a cricket fan it chafes a little that maybe two of the three next most likely test batting call ups for the national side are an Aussie in Robson and a Zimba in Ballance.

Good for our depth and all, but we can't play tests without opposition. I reckon their native countries are (arguably in Australia's case and definitely in Zimbabwe's) more in need of their services.