• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kyle Jarvis quits Zimbabwe to sign multi-million dollar deal with GWS Giants

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
7 year rule already in place in England if you move here once you're 18. Less than 18, four years before you can play for England.

Don't think any other nations have rules in place. Not sure how long Fawad Ahmed has lived in Aus.

Should do well for Lancs if that's where he is going as reported.

Don't think there is much the ICC can do. Can't really stop players leaving Zimbabwe for economic reasons.

Think ICC allows 4 years before playing for different test countries but maybe wrong. Won't matter for Jarvis - it'll be 7 years for him under the ECB rules

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I dunno the specifics of the Jarvis case, but if he wants to be style himself as an Azhar Mahmood styley T20 gun for hire a county career is more likely to stop him playing in the various and assorted T20 tournaments than his Zim duties would, I'd guess.

As broader point I think something needs to be done tho. I mean, as an England fan I want to see what's best for us, but as a cricket fan it chafes a little that maybe two of the three next most likely test batting call ups for the national side are an Aussie in Robson and a Zimba in Ballance.

Good for our depth and all, but we can't play tests without opposition. I reckon their native countries are (arguably in Australia's case and definitely in Zimbabwe's) more in need of their services.
Robson and Ballance are English by development. Particularly in Robson's case, his playing style is a product of his environment.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Even if he doesn't make it in county cricket, his prospects of living in the UK and finding a career outside cricket would be better than returning to Zimbabwe.
Or even in cricket. The blokes playing as overseas pros in league cricket over the English summer are reporting that they earn more from that than they do from their ZC central contracts.

He'll make it though anyway; bloke is a quality bowler. If Anthony Ireland can get a contract every season then Jarvis will be fine.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Robson and Ballance are English by development. Particularly in Robson's case, his playing style is a product of his environment.
Well, there's an argument to be made there, yeah.

Could probably say the same of (say) Gordon Greenidge tho, who moved to fred's patch at (IIRC) 11 and he didn't wear the three lions.

Ditto any number of Scottish footballers back when you were good; Frank McLintock and the late George Graham never played north of the border.

Ultimately it should be up to the player, I guess.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah forget about Robson's first 19 years of his life, the fact that he has played four or so years in England means he learnt everything he knows from there.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah forget about Robson's first 19 years of his life, the fact that he has played four or so years in England means he learnt everything he knows from there.
The fact that he's not a 30 and out merchant and hasn't played any Shield cricket whatsoever isn't a coincidence.

Spikey

in 97 FC innings he has been dismissed 23 times between 25 and 49 in FC cricket. has got to 50 and further 24 times so he seems neither good non bad in this aspect.

#funfacts

Spikey

In 97 FC innings, Robson has been dismissed LBW 17 times. For comparison, in 95 Sheffield Shield innings, Shane Watson has been dismissed LBW 14 times #uhoh

Spikey

Before Robson moved to England, he had never been dismissed by JW Dernbach. Since then, 3 times. Clearly this isnt coincidence, English cricket is turning Robson into a sub-par player.

Spikey

i think skidmark00 is basically the only guy on here who has ever actually watched Robson more than a couple of times and over a range of years btw

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As broader point I think something needs to be done tho. I mean, as an England fan I want to see what's best for us, but as a cricket fan it chafes a little that maybe two of the three next most likely test batting call ups for the national side are an Aussie in Robson and a Zimba in Ballance.

Good for our depth and all, but we can't play tests without opposition. I reckon their native countries are (arguably in Australia's case and definitely in Zimbabwe's) more in need of their services.
Couldn't agree more - Andrew Symonds might have been a monumental ****, but at least he chose the honourable path - I wish more did

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's not even a case of choosing to earn a bit more money. The difference is likely to be huge, and then there's always the fact that the board actually isn't paying him anyway...

It's not even a decision really.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Or even in cricket. The blokes playing as overseas pros in league cricket over the English summer are reporting that they earn more from that than they do from their ZC central contracts.

He'll make it though anyway; bloke is a quality bowler. If Anthony Ireland can get a contract every season then Jarvis will be fine.
Yeah, an ex Test cricketer in his prime could make some serious coin, for a weekend only job, in some leagues. Essex probably the best example.

Ireland could as well :p

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, an ex Test cricketer in his prime could make some serious coin, for a weekend only job, in some leagues. Essex probably the best example.

Ireland could as well :p
Interested how Essex is the best example. You very well may be right. I left the UK 13 years ago and it didnt have that reputation then. Back then a good pro could get 10k + accommodation, car and flights with perhaps an additional job, some coaching and some money set behind the bar. It could all be rather comfortable for 6 months.

I am not sure how the income has changed or if Essex is now the big spender as opposed to the Northern leagues. However, I do know the tax man is now looking at overseas pros far closely than he was in the 90s.