• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should match fixing be made legal?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
The recent developments in the sport are making it more of an entertainment and less of a sport. 20 overs for powerplay, 5 fielders in the ring, 2 new balls, flatter wickets, rising number of t20s an the ICC looking to make changes in tests aswell:@ More and more focus has been on glamorizing the sport to attract more audience and Money is the only focus right now it seems. When so many unwanted things are done to make the mockery of a beautiful sport, why leave out match fixing? That would create some interesting matches, close finishes, more number of no balls, etc resulting in more money and thrilling entertainment for the fans..

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I was just thinking the other day that the Ashes hasn't had enough no balls. Been boring viewing.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Will this allow me to purchase a Championship title for either Essex or Wellington? Frankly I can't see any other way either of them will win anything these days - so, I'm all in favour. :thumbsup:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I would be in favour of match fixing if then test cricket follows completely in the steps of professional wrestling (the most well known "fixed" sport). Various shananigans to create fan anticipation can take place before each match. Such as players sleeping with the opposition's wives or punching the opposition in pubs :ph34r:.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If there's not an infraction for enormous stupidity then this thread is ample evidence that there needs to be one.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Well, what I have written is a bit of an exaggeration, but what I m pointing out at is the stupidity which is going on, the number of changes that are being made to make the game less professional and more entertaining. The 50 over format is turning into a big joke with the kind of rules that are being introduced, the older rules were much better, these days every other day you see a high scoring game, a batsmen scoring an ODI century seems like a normal sight. And despite of the damage that T20s can do, they are slowly on the rise. Now they are looking to make changes in test matches aswell. What is happening is that a beautiful sport is ruined by constant revamping which is done to make it more and more entertaining.

Last edited:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
And no, I wasn't serious about making match fixing legal, match fixing is, and always will be a crime..

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Hate to break it to you bro, but professional sport only exists because its entertainment.
Don't you think cricket is anyways an entertaining sport and has a very huge fan base? And if they do want to add some entertainment, than playing around with the rules of the game is not the only option, they can try something else.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ummm you do realise the rules get tinkered with in 50 over cricket, which was invented by tinkering with the rules of test cricket? Why do you think 50 over cricket was invented?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Ummm you do realise the rules get tinkered with in 50 over cricket, which was invented by tinkering with the rules of test cricket? Why do you think 50 over cricket was invented?
50 over cricket did originate by changing certain rules of tests and bringing a new format into existence, but it was a creation of a whole new format, not some unwanted changes in a format which has completely developed and working well. A few changes when some format is newly introduced are understandable because it might still need some modifications at the developing stages, but not after it has completely established.