• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand A Tour of India and Sri Lanka

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Any chance Brownlie will move up the order in the near future btw? He's not exactly one to get forward to the moving ball but his batsmanship against pace is more than good enough to be test standard so starting him against the quicks might be a better option than selling him down the river at five against spin with an old ball.
Thanks for that John Bracewell.

Mike5181

International Captain
Anderson is just as likely to score runs in these conditions as Brownlie tbh. If he plays it should be at six.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't get the reference? He's not Kyle Mills..
Bracewell had quite a habit of shoving randoms into the opening role/top 3 spots, Hamish Marshall and Peter Fulton (back when he wasn't an opener) in particular.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks Kippax

Bahnz's description of Anderson is very good. He needs to tighten up his defensive system and leaves to short of a length balls around or outside off stump.
Looked very composed against Swann and overall looks like he should be averaging 37 in FC cricket.

Neesham has a trigger movement before each delivery and he wants to plant his front foot down the pitch if he can, this will run him into problems. His leave is very good out side off stump, but his actual off side shots are not as fluent as Corey's. Struggled big time against Swann. Against Patel and Woodcock his get out of jail shot was to thump them over the top which is a worry.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Anderson does have a reputation for being a good player of spin? Although I think the first I really heard that was either on this tour, or around the bangladesh tour squad announcement.

Mike5181

International Captain
He did just score 100 + 26* against India A, although that was against an ordinary bowling attack.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Neesham has a trigger movement before each delivery and he wants to plant his front foot down the pitch if he can, this will run him into problems. His leave is very good out side off stump, but his actual off side shots are not as fluent as Corey's. Struggled big time against Swann. Against Patel and Woodcock his get out of jail shot was to thump them over the top which is a worry.
Yeah I wonder if that crabbing has been ditched now, or if it's something he'll keep bringing out for red ball cricket. Not sure what the thinking is tbh, crabbing the front foot sideways as late as the point of delivery and looking awkwardly creasebound as a result.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I actually think he coped with that really well when he tried to defend; played attacking shots at too many of those balls though. I don't even mind him going at width with minimal footwork so much as long as he stays balanced but he was attacking the wrong length.

Flem274*

123/5
Thoughts on Doug Bracewell turning himself into a genuine allrounder to cement his place in the test side somewhere down the line?

I think it's evident he is trying to learn to bat properly and he has a reasonable technical base. IMO he could quite easily just do a Southee and in NZ A and tour matches he has scored runs down the order by being a bully. It's a shame he doesn't get the opportunity to play much first class cricket because I wouldn't mind Central Districts moving him up to number six and seeing if he can do it (and lets be honest, if Munro can score so many runs and all the bowling allrounders can ton up at will down at eight then Bracewell has a chance to succeed at six). The only thing is I would like him to bowl at his best and I think his bowling might suffer further if he sacrifices bowling time for improving his batting. We don't want another Franklin (though Franklin's bowling decline was largely a mixture of injuries and his cbf weakling attitude - he is the original "boomer" through the crease).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thoughts on Doug Bracewell turning himself into a genuine allrounder to cement his place in the test side somewhere down the line?
I think it'd be nice if he could develop into a proper #8 and average in the 20s, being able to play both supportive roles with set batsmen and aggressive roles with the rest of the tail. I think that's what he's aiming for with his batting and I don't think he's really capable of much more at international level. He's going to have to live or die by his bowling;I think what we're starting to see more and more though is that he's not really a first change bowler at the moment. He's a strike bowler who is at his most effective when he's bowling outies and that role doesn't really suit the current dynamic of the side with Southee and Boult needing someone to bowl a little shorter and tighter just to build pressure.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Corey's bbb play of Lonsdale's movement -

what was the match circumstance?

I think that's not too awful, and there were some pretty damn good balls in there. It seems as though he had some reason to attack.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Building on PEWS post and possibly misinterpreting it - so forgive me if I have - I hope that it is not the situation of him being first change that has stopped him from bowling outswingers and going after wickets. You could be right but if you are then that is bad coaching and bad game management by NZ. There are better bowlers in NZ that can build pressure as a third bowler and if that is what we want then we should be selecting a container and not him. I am going to give the benefit of the doubt to the NZ coaching staff and believe that they havn't hamstrung him and instead blame his action. I think there have been subtle but important changes to his action that have taken his swing away. Unless he is swinging it he is nothing. When he was effective the batsman didn't know whether to play for his swing or guard against his dynamic off cutter. Perhaps he doesn't know what made him successful and is trying to bowl too fast.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
what was the match circumstance?

I think that's not too awful, and there were some pretty damn good balls in there. It seems as though he had some reason to attack.
Yes, the footage is from the 1st innings and starts at about 160/6 (65), with Corey the last to fall in the 74th.

This is one the filter did of his 167, coming in at 154/3 in the 3rd innings, leading by 60 -

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Butler bowled some pretty excellent balls there, really worth consideration as a third seamer given how tight he can keep it. Really wish he hadn't been written off because he's probably a fair bit more reliable than either Wagner, Gillespie or Bracewell.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Building on PEWS post and possibly misinterpreting it - so forgive me if I have - I hope that it is not the situation of him being first change that has stopped him from bowling outswingers and going after wickets. You could be right but if you are then that is bad coaching and bad game management by NZ. There are better bowlers in NZ that can build pressure as a third bowler and if that is what we want then we should be selecting a container and not him. I am going to give the benefit of the doubt to the NZ coaching staff and believe that they havn't hamstrung him and instead blame his action. I think there have been subtle but important changes to his action that have taken his swing away. Unless he is swinging it he is nothing. When he was effective the batsman didn't know whether to play for his swing or guard against his dynamic off cutter. Perhaps he doesn't know what made him successful and is trying to bowl too fast.

Well there's this, but there's also the fact that his type of bowling - a little bi of swing mixed with some occasional seam movement - was perfectly suited to Hobart. He's played on flat decks since then and it's entirely possible that he's just never going to be that good of a strike bowler on flat decks. He's never been a pure swing bowler.