• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand A Tour of India and Sri Lanka

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
You mean purely in terms of NZ's second best XI? Probably:

Redmond, Raval, Flynn, Broom, Mitchell/Latham, Anderson, Ronchi, Bracewell, Butler, Milne, Jeets
Raval
Latham
Flynn
Broom
Mitchell
Anderson
Ronchi+
Bracewell
Sodhi
Milne
Henry

Ah yes, forgot about Raval

I think I'm basically on board with this but I'd leave Redmond out, open with Flynn and have Chops at 3.

No Latham?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think there's been any conscious decision to stack the team with 7 or 8 bowlers. It's just that the guys who stood out in last seasons PS as batsmen also all happen to be able to bowl some useful wobblers (Munro, Cachopa, Mitchell). Ignoring that lot, the attack has a lot of the halmarks of the 4.5 bowling lineup (with 2 spinners rather than 3 seamers) that you mentioned.
I actually think this is the best balanced 11 of the tour so far ....... That is if you take the leap in your imagination that Devcich is an opener and Munro is a batsman. May not be a good 11, but at least I can work out the expected role of each player in the team.

Only 'gap' is Eliis as third seamer, and I don't mind his selection in this context (resting Gillespie due to heavy workload, and Milne due to brittleness). Plus different ground from last match, and maybe a tidy 3rd seam backing up 2 spinners plus 2 fastish bowlers is right for is venue, not that we will likely know much about the conditions, that would require a media.

Actually, that's fair enough I suppose.

The problem with good bowlers in ****ty attacks is the mode of dismissal changes. I want all these ****s caught in the slips, LBW or bowled. Yes, even on the SC. I don't want to see them caught in the outfiled unless it's to a spinner.

Flem274*

123/5
Gonna do this Nufan stylez. Assuming we're not allowed Ryder.

Jeet RAVAL
Daniel FLYNN
Tom LATHAM (c)
Neil BROOM
Daryl MITCHELL
Corey ANDERSON
Luke RONCHI (wk)
Doug BRACEWELL
Matt HENRY
Adam MILNE
Ben WHEELER or Ian BUTLER

I'd be very tempted to send Guptill, Rutherford and Brownlie as well to give them as much time against spin as possible.

I've been thinking a bit on the take it srsly vs send whoever you like argument we had a while back and even if I conceded it I would have sent..

Jeet RAVAL
Daniel FLYNN
Craig CACHOPA
Daryl MITCHELL
William YOUNG
Corey ANDERSON
Tom LATHAM (c) (wk)
Ish SODHI
Matt HENRY
Adam MILNE
Ben WHEELER

Flem274*

123/5
This Silva bloke is having a productive series.

The scorecard looks a bit predictable. The two opening bowlers with a wicket each, Ellis kept them quiet and the spinners got smoked. Here's hoping the pair can pull it back and back up the other three.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Do you really think no-one else would be able to say something like that? Like, really? Pull your head in.
Bottom line of why I reacted is that your post was not made with a collegial spirit and we are all friendly with each other in this thread. And that post stood out like a sore thumb.

The funny side of it is that I think your side of the argument is probably right PEWS who cares about him missing an A team tour game when the guy is so brittle. But that is all you had to say. Please accept feedback without getting defensive you don't seem to mind handing it out to Adders and company but are reticent to take any back.

Flem274*

123/5
Bottom line of why I reacted is that your post was not made with a collegial spirit and we are all friendly with each other in this thread. And that post stood out like a sore thumb.

The funny side of it is that I think your side of the argument is probably right PEWS who cares about him missing an A team tour game when the guy is so brittle. But that is all you had to say. Please accept feedback without getting defensive you don't seem to mind handing it out to Adders and company but are reticent to take any back.
:laugh: yessssss

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I don't mind you calling me out for ad hominem attacks when I make them; I made a **** post and you said so. I do think Kippax has become a bit tinfoil hat of late and his constant references to personality traits and ND conspiracies needed to be called out as much as my post did, but doing in the midst of a cricket argument was indeed poor form. One of the things I love about CW, particularly the NZ community, is that stuff like that can happen and we can call each other out on it, take it on board and move on.

However implying that my moderator status has anything to do with it is frankly insulting. I don't make every post as a moderator as such; I make the vast majority of my posts as a community member and a cricket fan. If you think anyone else would've actually been sanctioned for the post I made then you've completely lost it.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
WTF is Chandimal doing playing for SLA? The **** averages nearly 60 in test cricket!
Haha, that was my reaction when I saw his name there as well. Just taking his wicket will gain you a bit of credibility as a bowler.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
what.

Kippax loves a good conspiracy theory and we all enjoy it.

I dunno if Kippax was offended but I think it's fine to call him out a little bit on that type of stuff. I'm sure he himself doesn't take it that seriously.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, it's easy to understand the anger when someone feels wronged by a mod and they feel the mod has gotten away with it due to their status - whether they are correct or not

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah my posting has been getting pretty **** and boring tbh. Cribb has been doing that a bit though, thought his very brusque line to Maximas the other day of 'young batsman in being inconsistent shocker' when he'd merely asked other posters what to make of him wasn't really on.
Ha, only just saw this post now that you mention it, one good series against Bangladesh and a poor performance against quality opposition is "inconsistency", I think I could be justified in saying there is perhaps more too it.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't mind you calling me out for ad hominem attacks when I make them; I made a **** post and you said so. I do think Kippax has become a bit tinfoil hat of late and his constant references to personality traits and ND conspiracies needed to be called out as much as my post did, but doing in the midst of a cricket argument was indeed poor form. One of the things I love about CW, particularly the NZ community, is that stuff like that can happen and we can call each other out on it, take it on board and move on.

However implying that my moderator status has anything to do with it is frankly insulting. I don't make every post as a moderator as such; I make the vast majority of my posts as a community member and a cricket fan. If you think anyone else would've actually been sanctioned for the most I made then you've completely lost it.
Well this has been about the most civilised scrap on the internet ever.

****s.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ha, only just saw this post now that you mention it, one good series against Bangladesh and a poor performance against quality opposition is "inconsistency", I think I could be justified in saying there is perhaps more too it.
In the end I think I just vastly mis-interpreted your post there. I thought you were saying you were befuddled by his tendency to look great one series and rubbish the next - which is frankly a pretty common trait for a talented young batsman - but it appears you were making an argument for him being somewhat over-promoted.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah pretty much Cribb, I mean, remember Russel Arnold and the guys at the CT? Jayasuria comparisons were unfair but the guy isn't really international standard yet it seems, although he occasionally plays blinders