• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand A Tour of India and Sri Lanka

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ellis in a four-dayer. Oh joy.
wtf. wtf. wtf.

What is his role in the team? I just don't get it. It's not even as if he's a Franklin where there was even a hint of a possibility of him being a test standard bowler or batsman. Ellis will categorically never be either.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes perhaps a couple of surprises though with Anderson injured and probably not wanting Milne to play two consecutive four-dayers, that resticts options. Ellis obviously a bit meh. Munro gets a chance to add to his scores of 1,4,1,2 this tour.

Can't remember who else is left out apart from Gillespie, who was given a lot of overs last match iirc. Still, he's someone that needs a lot of overs in order to bowl well.

Pleased Henry is clearly fit enough to play - hasn't played much of a role this tour.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ummm Andy Ellis is playing as the 3rd seamer as far as I can tell. Unless one of Mitchell or Munro bowls ahead of him. In which case, wtf is he doing in the team?

Flem274*

123/5
Flem is still in the "Wagner bowls 150KPH swinging thunderbolts, get his citizenship fast-tracked" stage of love with our as-yet unseen but obviously ludicrously talented domestic pace bowlers.
unseen? ive been indulging on a diet of kippax videos and my own forays into the impossible web of poor site design that is the vault. ive seen them, and they are better than our spinners by far. i don't want to sound patronising but surely this isn't up for debate? because if it is im going to sit in the corner and cry a little.

Disagree completly
Four seamers in Headingly was a disaster, we would have been better off playing Nathan McCullum, 4 seamers only works if you can bowl them out for under 250 ie green top/dodgy wicket, usually you get to your 60 over mark your bowlers are buggered, the ball isnt doing anything and
the middle and lower order cash in and take the game away from you like Root/Bairstow did

Similarly after lunch at Kingston we were toothless
nathan mccullum would be fortunate to average below 60 with the ball in test cricket. he's all yours.

i believe you should almost always play a test standard spinner if you have one, and if you don't then play your best four bowlers. Vettori is injured, so we don't have a test standard spinner. bartin might be so lets wait and see, but sodhi isn't. not right now at least and we don't need to waste our time and his sanity picking him when he averages 40 million in a comp full of batsmen who can't play spin. this is mitchell mcclenaghan circa 2008 all over again.

the subcontinental sides would love to see sodhi, jeets or tastle in the team ahead of a pace bowler. KW is in the team and has a bit of a golden arm, and was good enough to be used as a real bowler during his time with ND. he can bowl some overs if needed.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ummm Andy Ellis is playing as the 3rd seamer as far as I can tell. Unless one of Mitchell or Munro bowls ahead of him. In which case, wtf is he doing in the team?
Just fits into Bradburn's trusty old ND playbook tbh. The 'oh it ain't pretty, but it's quite effective' small ball winning of a first-class match. Mathieson/Kuggs/Cody Andrews types get pushed on down the table to be someone else's problem for a while.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
@ Hendrix
Heh, I admit I hadn't looked carefully enough to realise Ellis was third seamer. Thrashing Gillespie a bit more would probably have been more productive unless he has a niggle.

Two spinners though, plus a part time spinner and three fourth seamers in Mitchell, Cachopa and Munro. Everyone gets a bowl bar Ronchi and Latham.

Flem274*

123/5
looking at our team ellis is in there to provide balance while still allowing two spinners to play. he is essentially filling the role mchesson plucked anderson for in Bangladesh.

he's a 125kph chucker but he has been effective for canterbury. has a surprisingly nasty bouncer as well iirc. hopefully it continues at A level.

Mike5181

International Captain
As much as I ****ing hate Ellis as a player, I'm OK with that. There's no need to carelessly throw guys like Milne back into the action when they clearly aren't fit enough to get through two consecutive four-day games unscathed. His development means nothing if he's sitting at home with a long-term injury.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah completely DWTA. As someone who can move it both ways, Milne's the ideal case to craft an 80% mode like Steyn tbh. Which he would obvs be learning if he was English, and there was six figures there for the taking each year on the county scene. Instead he's got Gillespie in his ear, telling him he needs to be even more speed-orientated and imposing on a game apparently.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Milne's still only 21 and with his injury history I think the time for bowling masses of overs (English County Cricket style) and playing through niggles is not yet upon him.

Once he's 24 or so there is that argument that, even if still injury prone, it's just better to play rather than rest and that he'll become bowling-hardened as a result (there have been numerous articles written about this over the years). But that logic doesn't apply while he's still growing. So I have no problem with him being rested for this match.

Mike5181

International Captain
Milne's still only 21 and with his injury history I think the time for bowling masses of overs (English County Cricket style) and playing through niggles is not yet upon him.

Once he's 24 or so there is that argument that, even if still injury prone, it's just better to play rather than rest and that he'll become bowling-hardened as a result (there have been numerous articles written about this over the years). But that logic doesn't apply while he's still growing. So I have no problem with him being rested for this match.
Exactly.

Flem274*

123/5
don't people stop growing in their late teens?

google says 18-19, but there are exceptions, especially if you're an athlete since lots of exercises stops plate thingies from fusing. pregnant people also stop growing sooner because their bodies go into adult mode and fuse the things.

so we need to get our fast bowlers pregnant.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Being told '150 or nothing' and breaking down six times a summer is doing him....what exactly. I can't quite figure that one out tbh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There's no need to bowl Milne into the ground in games that don't matter. Look at the lengths Australia have gone to in order to protect the long-term fitness of their young quicks; modern sports science definitely suggests that fast bowlers in their teens or early twenties should not be bowling quite as much as they are. Whether you agree with tactically resting players from legitimately competitive matches or not, managing their workload on A team tours is a no brainer.

Personally I question the wisdom of Ellis being the replacement more than I do of Milne being rested.