• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand A Tour of India and Sri Lanka

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Certainly tactless, it goes without saying that if you move to another country to play international cricket that you percieve there to be less depth. Although, in the heat and distance of India I imagine it would be easy to let your guard down and explain it in the most plain terms to someone who may not be familiar with the NZ/Oz population disparity.

The depth in his position is actually quite good though - Latham & Watling would be currently rated ahead of him? De Boorder & Van Vyk are also useful.
Ronchi has been probably the worst cricket import we have had, i dont care how you feel you are representing nz first and yourself second, i do hope this counts against him.

I think van wyk has been ruled out for good at the age of 33. Next in line is ronchi than de boorder, no one else is close to test standard. Latham is a long way off as a keeper batsman imo, keeping is not there yet and he gave up the gloves for canterbury last season cause he could not score any runs playing as a keeper batsman.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Certainly tactless, it goes without saying that if you move to another country to play international cricket that you percieve there to be less depth. Although, in the heat and distance of India I imagine it would be easy to let your guard down and explain it in the most plain terms to someone who may not be familiar with the NZ/Oz population disparity.

The depth in his position is actually quite good though - Latham & Watling would be currently rated ahead of him? De Boorder & Van Vyk are also useful.
Steve to rage.

I'm not sure I would even classify Ronchi's comment as tactless. We've all known since the day he first started plundering the plunket shield bowling stocks that he's only over here to take advantage of the lower standards in the New Zealand domestic scene. Why else would he take a sizable reduction in paycheck? You can guarantee it wasn't for the sparkling scenery and the reasonably priced wine. And the fact that he isn't interested in producing mindless soundbites about how he's always dreamed of playing for New Zealand, ever since he was a little boy, doesn't bother me in the slightest. Afterall, it's not like he's saying something that is untrue or unnecessarily derogatory about the standards over here. And as a player he's putting pressure on both Watling and the middle-order bats to perform. That can only be a good thing.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I don't think we will be seeing much more of the Broom -> opener experiment.

I'm looking forward to seeing our next weird and wonderful batting order at Dambulla later this month. Devcich -> opener and Tastle at 3 imo.

edit: I hope Latham makes a ton today. With the dearth of true top order batsmen in the squad in would be nice to see the skipper go big up at number one.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Poor selections/organisation of players for this tour aside, one positive we can take out of this is Corey Anderson. A 22 year old New Zealander with a first-class average of 37+ is pretty reasonable. Averaged 50 in the Plunket Shield last season as well iirc. So hopefully he can maintain these performances, and most importantly stay injury-free.

Wouldn't be averse to picking him in the squad to Bangladesh, especially if the other young guns (Milne, Henry) miss out for whatever reason.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure I would even classify Ronchi's comment as tactless. We've all known since the day he first started plundering the plunket shield bowling stocks that he's only over here to take advantage of the lower standards in the New Zealand domestic scene. Why else would he take a sizable reduction in paycheck? You can guarantee it wasn't for the sparkling scenery and the reasonably priced wine. And the fact that he isn't interested in producing mindless soundbites about how he's always dreamed of playing for New Zealand, ever since he was a little boy, doesn't bother me in the slightest. Afterall, it's not like he's saying something that is untrue or unnecessarily derogatory about the standards over here. And as a player he's putting pressure on both Watling and the middle-order bats to perform. That can only be a good thing.
Except NZ becomes what Sauber is in F1 effectively, scrounging for the odd championship point with last year's Ferrari engine, providing a more attractive price point for Royal Stag whisky to get some international TV exposure.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry ****s, I won't be making videos after this tour if that's the picture quality.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Rain brings run feast to premature end | Cricket Match Report | Wisden India

After Dhawal Kulkarni struck early to dismiss Neil Broom (0), Cachopa and Latham made brisk half centuries during a 128-run stand for the second wicket to grind the Indian bowlers on another oppressive day. With the pitch showing no signs of deterioration, the spinners toiled away with very little gain.

But there was some consolation for Rakesh Dhruv, the left-arm spinner, who picked up two wickets against the run of play. Latham edged one to Unmukt Chand at slip while Cachopa played across the line to a straight delivery to be adjudged lbw.

Corey Anderson, who made an aggressive century in the first innings, remained unbeaten on 26 when dark clouds, lightning and fading light forced the umpires and players to return to the dressing room. Play was called off shortly after that with New Zealand A on 176 for 3.

The only interest from the Indian point of view as the day began under bright sunshine was whether Manprit Juneja, who had batted brilliantly to remain unbeaten on 178 overnight, would get his double century. Juneja hung around for close to an hour before frustration got the better of him when he was on 193 and he mistimed a pull to midwicket.

Kulkarni and Imtiaz Ahmed were cleaned up by Mark Gillespie, who picked all three Indian wickets to fall on the day, to end with figures of 4 for 80.
Chand needs to get his mind right, says Bangar | Latest Cricket News & Breaking News | Wisden India

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Exactly. We'd love to catch some of that stream. We hardly get to see our domestic players in action.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year