• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Zimbabwe

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The thing is Pakistan's batting could easily fail in the 2nd innings so a 60-70 run lead could be huge for Zimbabwe.

Chook Herron

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'd be happy with a 50-100 run lead. If Chigs and Shingi can get their eye in tomorrow morning both of them have the potential to do some serious damage quickly. Really happy with Raza and Waller stepping up when it was needed. It'll be interesting if the 2nd test does go ahead who will make way for Taylor. Given Raza's success will they give Taylor the gloves and drop Mutumbami perhaps

smash84

The Tiger King
Well played Zimbos.......Pakistan batsmen must be ****ting their pants by now since Zimbos already have the lead and the batsmen can't be relied to get out of a tight spot. A victory for Zim a real possibility if they take a lead of 70 odd

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Chiggers Chigumbura with the composed 40 not out, happy for the kid. I stopped watching when he was on about 15 but he was looking reasonable then so I'm glad he stuck it out. He's not the worst batsman to still be in with the tail too - bat normally with Shingi and then try and up the ante with 10 and jack.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
this is quite embarrassing, while I'm rapt for Zim, I actually feel bad for Pakistan, it's not like this is a second string team either

Flem274*

123/5
This is why Zimbabwe are a superior test side to Bangladesh. If you removed their 3-4 best players they would be lucky to make 200 in either innings and take 10 wickets the whole match, but even with no Taylor, Williams or Jarvis and the erosion of what little depth they have by players moving to other countries, they're still standing up and competing against the likes of Pakistan.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, Bangladesh have more basis' covered though, they have a good keeper batsman, a world class all-rounder, a good opener and some other decent batters coming through as well as 2 decent spinners and a good pace bowler. I think when the teams played earlier in the year it showed that Bangladesh were a little better, as the first test was played basically the moment they arrived.

Chubb

International Regular
This test has shown why Zimbabwe should still play tests at home. Even without Taylor, Jarvis, Ballance they have acquitted themselves well so far. Leaving aside the pay disputes, the standard of cricket is still comparable to Bangladesh in their own conditions. Overseas tests should probably not be played though if countries want to invite Zimbabwe to play then they could continue.

There is no question the side could be a lot stronger, however, their performance in this game, no matter what happens in the next three days, has been good. How many times did Bangladesh manage a first-innings lead in their first ten years in test cricket?

Flem274*

123/5
Nah, Bangladesh have more basis' covered though, they have a good keeper batsman, a world class all-rounder, a good opener and some other decent batters coming through as well as 2 decent spinners and a good pace bowler. I think when the teams played earlier in the year it showed that Bangladesh were a little better, as the first test was played basically the moment they arrived.
Yeah but Zimbabwe consistently perform better than they look on paper. I don't think Bangladesh could do what Zimbabwe have just done without the likes of Tamim, Shakib and that pace bowler whose name temporarily escapes me. They also have the advantage of not losing their better players to county cricket and other competitions around the world.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Robiul Islam is the name you're after, your definition of a good team is too focussed on depth for me, but whatever

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This test has shown why Zimbabwe should still play tests at home. Even without Taylor, Jarvis, Ballance they have acquitted themselves well so far. Leaving aside the pay disputes, the standard of cricket is still comparable to Bangladesh in their own conditions. Overseas tests should probably not be played though if countries want to invite Zimbabwe to play then they could continue.
I do want to agree, I really do, because I've loved this Test. It just all seems so pointless sometimes though because there's basically a cap on how good a Zimbabwe cricketer is allowed to get, especially if they have parents or grandparents born overseas. What's the point of cheering on Brendan Taylor and hoping he can transform himself from a mid-30s averaging Test batsman to a genuinely Test class 40+ average guy if all it'd mean was that he'd get picked up as an overseas player for a domestic side that actually paid him?

The whole concept of international sport becomes a farce when you can be promoted out of your national side for being too good for it. Short of having seven batsmen averaging 34 and four bowlers averaging 37 - all just shy of the sort of the level required to get serious overseas offers - there's no real scope for improvement of the side. It's almost at the point, IMO, where being a Zimbabwe cricket fan means following the progress of the country's brightest stars overseas and hoping that the current mob can graduate to that level as well.

Chook Herron

School Boy/Girl Captain
I don't think it's going to matter for much longer anyway. This is probably going to either the second last if not the last test match Zimbabwe will play in the foreseeable future.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
What's the reason for the non payments? Corrupt board or bad investments or lack of International cricket or just the general state of the economy has meant they simply don't have the funds?

What amount of money $US do you think the board would need to pay the top 12 players or so to get the better players staying or coming back to Zim?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're currently $18m in debt atm and I don't know whether scheduling series with countries not named India, England or Australia even gets them a profit. An inept management probably has a lot to do with the state they're in as well, but I'm no expert on Zimbabwean cricket. Chook, Chubb or PEWS can probably explain better.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah all of the above.
That sucks. Someone rich who loves Cricket should fund Zim Cricket!

On to the game, I hope this morning Zim don't just rest on their performance yesterday - If they put on 48 more runs for the final 3 wickets that would mean an 80 run lead which could be huge for them.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
They're currently $18m in debt atm and I don't know whether scheduling series with countries not named India, England or Australia even gets them a profit. An inept management probably has a lot to do with the state they're in as well, but I'm no expert on Zimbabwean cricket. Chook, Chubb or PEWS can probably explain better.
I wish that the debt you mention was in Zim dollars. $18m Zim dollars ain't too bad, just under 50,000 USD.

Chook Herron

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah all of the above.
There's a number of reasons, the primary reason is the cost of hosting teams that don't draw lucrative television deals. Of all the series that Zimbabwe have hosted since there return to test cricket, only the Indian ODI series has been profitable for Zimbabwe. Everything else has cost them millions which is millions that ZC simply can't cover.

They can't draw quality sponsorship due to the internal friction within the country and the ZC board is inept and corrupt. There's numerous family and friends of board members and administration that leech off any small amount of incoming money from the ICC and ICC held tournaments that Zimbabwe compete in. Most of these people have no business sense and no idea how to fix the lack of cash flow problems in Zimbabwe or simply don't care so long as they still get their slice.

I think the best way for Zimbabwe to move forward is to go backwards and hopefully they can clean the slate and remove these leeches when there isn't any money is line their pockets with. I don't hold out much hope though given the broader economical and social issues that riddle Zimbabwe.