• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Gap Year

J_asonR

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi there,
I was just wondering whether anybody has ever done, or known anyone who has done, a cricketing gap year?

I've found a website called Sport Lived who, for a substantial fee, set you up with everything needed to be able to survive 6 months in a foreign country (New Zealand for me) playing a chosen sport (cricket, obviously).

They offer accommodation, a team with 2/3 training sessions per week and games on weekends, help to find part time work and loads of other things too!

Also, a 4 week gap over xmas for me to go travelling with an old friend to moved to NZ 3 years ago!

Has anybody have any experience with these? Whether they're worth the money, or whether it could be organised personally?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey mate, I did something similar in England but I organised it myself. I emailed a heap of clubs and then sorted the whole thing out with whoever replied. I was pretty easy. I know there are agents here in Australia who organise this sort of thing too, but I reckon it's a waste of money paying someone else to do it for you.

J_asonR

Hey mate, I did something similar in England but I organised it myself. I emailed a heap of clubs and then sorted the whole thing out with whoever replied. I was pretty easy. I know there are agents here in Australia who organise this sort of thing too, but I reckon it's a waste of money paying someone else to do it for you.
Awesome, how old were you when you did it? Would you recommend doing it earlier or later than you did?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty sure an Englishman came over a couple of seasons ago to play first grade for my club. I think he just contacted the club and - on a no payment basis - set him up with some accommodation and a part-time job. Not sure how that would fit in with Visa requirements though.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you play a good standard? If so clubs are far more likely to want to help you out. As you can imagine organising an overseas player takes a lot of time so they'll only do it if you can play a bit. If you were looking at Australia I'd recommend you go to a forum like big cricket and see if there's anyone looking, not sure if there's a NZ equivalent.

Well worth it though. Playing overseas not only opens your eyes to a new world but helps your game no end. My recommendation? Just do it.

Riggins

International Captain
Yeah I've done it and would highly recommend it.

I did the same as son of coco and organised it myself and it wasn't too difficult.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know someone who did something similar in both New Zealand and Australia, 5 months in all. If you want I can help you get more details. He was sponsored though, so other than umpiring he didn't work at all, and he definitely trained more than 2/3 times a week.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Probably a good idea to get some basic coaching qualifications as well, so you can earn some coin coaching juniors at the club.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
On one hand I wish I had of done it (at a low level) but on the other hand I would have felt it was a bit of a drag instead of travelling around all of Europe during the summer.

When in NZ will you be based Jason?

Meridio

International Regular
Yeah, AWTA people saying you can organise it yourself. I know plenty of people who have done/are doing that at the moment (in reverse to what you are i.e. NZ to England). I'm sort-of doing it myself, though I came over for the whole experience rather than just the cricket part.

And it definitely helps having the coaching qualifications. Another thing - there's bound to be guys in your current club who have already done it themselves, or who know people who have. Talk to them and you can at least get a starting point in terms of potential locations anyway.

J_asonR

On one hand I wish I had of done it (at a low level) but on the other hand I would have felt it was a bit of a drag instead of travelling around all of Europe during the summer.

When in NZ will you be based Jason?
I'm looking at doing it next year from end of Aug/Sept until Feb and then travelling with a friend for a month in March.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! Will definitely be looking into doing it all myself as it will work out a lot cheaper!