• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen - The Top 25

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
How many batsman are tied at 7 great innings? Inzy, Border, Dravid all have 7 great innings. I am sure I saw a few others too.

Days of Grace

International Captain
17. Sunil Gavaskar (India) (1971-1987)

Career Length (Days): 5851
Percentage of team's matches played: 97%
Career Average: 51.12
Adjusted career average: 49.91
Adjusted away average: 50.49
Adjusted top-opposition average: 47.43
Top Tier centuries: 5
Second tier centuries: 4
Third tier centuries: 21
Significant innings: 34
Significant innings per match: 0.27

Great innings: 4
5th Test: West Indies v India at Port of Spain, Apr 13-19, 1971 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 13.50
4th Test: England v India at The Oval, Aug 30-Sep 4, 1979 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 17.30
6th Test: India v West Indies at Chennai, Dec 24-29, 1983 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 19.09
5th Test: India v Pakistan at Bangalore, Mar 13-17, 1987 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 12.98

Innings worth average: 3.30

25 Test peak adjusted average: 70.78 (1977-1982)
50 Test peak adjusted average: 56.05 (1971-1979)

Quality Points: 581
Career Points: 120
Peak Points: 142
TOTAL POINTS: 843

The original little master, at just over 5ft, Gavaskar scored a lot of runs that saved his team from defeat. Only 13 of his 34 significant innings were scored in Indian victories. Contrast that with 39/49 of Inzi's S/Is resulting in victory for Pakistan. During the 1980s, after the retirement of Bedi, Chandra, et al, the Indian bowling attack was just not penetrating enough to add value to Gavaskar's runs. However, Gavaskar played for long enough and kept up his standards till the very end: he must be one of only a few batsmen, the other being Seymour Nurse that I can think of, to score a great innings in his last ever test knock.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think Chappell's 182 against Pakistan would make it, I think Seymour Nurse made 258 in his last innings or match.

Dissector

International Debutant
I wonder if Gavaskar is the only player to score a great innings in his first and last test series.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So Sangakkara, Barrington, Suttcliffe all going to be ahead of Gavaskar. Not many lists will do that. Interesting!

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
well their raw avgs are very high

not really surprised that Sunny is 17th considering Dravid is 20th.

Headley still hasn't appeared hmmm

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
well their raw avgs are very high

not really surprised that Sunny is 17th considering Dravid is 20th.

Headley still hasn't appeared hmmm
I reckon Headley will be top 10, maybe even top 6. His career - in terms of days - was very long (and it's not his fault he only played 22 Tests in that period), his average is exceptionally high and his importance to West Indies wins and draws was immense.

Now that I've said that, he'll probably be up next...

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon Headley will be top 10, maybe even top 6. His career - in terms of days - was very long (and it's not his fault he only played 22 Tests in that period), his average is exceptionally high and his importance to West Indies wins and draws was immense.

Now that I've said that, he'll probably be up next...
However he does have a low percentage of total matches the Windies played in that time, due to only playing 3 matches after the war. Not sure how much that effects the career points.

bagapath

International Captain
a guy scores 34 centuries; 10000+ runs; maintains 50+ average for 125 tests. a guy who played only 22 tests gets ranked above him. there is no justice in this world.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They'd be ahead of him on a 'best blokes' list as well.
Shame there isn't any empirical evidence available to measure that, as it would make an interesting stat, well entertaining anyway, and doubtless result in a few amusing tantrums from the more fanatical amongst us

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
All this countdown to the number 1 is distracting from the crucial question.

Have his recent exploits meant Ian Bell has broken into the top 100?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
It isn't really a countdown to Number 1 :)

Once we know even Number 3, we'll know the remaining two as well and their order! :p

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
His highest score should be rated the greatest innings ever, by my calculations.

DoG to confim.

bagapath

International Captain
"Best blokes". My ass!!!

I have always hated the Irvin Thalberg award for humanitarian work. What crap! How does it make any difference to cricket if after work Warne is busy ***ting to buxom nurses while an inferior leg spinner is helping underprivileged kids!

Last edited: