• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen - The Top 25

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm chilled out, was just trying to work out what exactly cost Dravid! :)

In any case, it is decent enough feedback which later maybe? helpful to the author to further improve this excellent project, (which only a genius can undertake in the first place, not us ordinary people)

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Lol, don't worry. This is merely the first edition.

I realize that playing 80 tests these days and then making the shock announcement to retire at 32 at your peak is a way to rank highly on my list.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats great then :)

Waiting for a few of the English posters to wake up and catch their reaction about their beloved Dravid coming 20th :p (one of them in particular predicted him to be in the Top 5)

bagapath

International Captain
Bloody Twenty20 ruining batsmen's techniques. :roll:
Come on dude. There is nothing technically wrong with this square cut. The balletic quality comes from the springy jump accompanying the shoulder swing. T20 hoicks are nothing ***y like this.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Finally, here is the big man...

19. Inzamam-ul-Haq (Pakistan) (1992-2007)

Career Length (Days): 5604
Percentage of team's matches played: 88%
Career Average: 49.60
Adjusted career average: 48.60
Adjusted away average: 47.63
Adjusted top-opposition average: 45.87
Top Tier centuries: 2
Second tier centuries: 7
Third tier centuries: 11
Significant innings: 49 (rank 7)
Significant innings per match: 0.41

Great innings: 7 (rank 5=)
Only Test: New Zealand v Pakistan at Hamilton, Jan 2-5, 1993 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 14.63
Only Test: South Africa v Pakistan at Johannesburg, Jan 19-23, 1995 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 14.50
3rd Test: Zimbabwe v Pakistan at Harare, Feb 15-19, 1995 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 13.50
1st Test: West Indies v Pakistan at Georgetown, May 5-9, 2000 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 13.68
1st Test: Pakistan v New Zealand at Lahore, May 1-3, 2002 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 19.27
3rd Test: Pakistan v Bangladesh at Multan, Sep 3-6, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 17.36
2nd Test: South Africa v Pakistan at Port Elizabeth, Jan 19-22, 2007 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 13.63

Innings worth average: 3.50

25 Test peak adjusted average: 59.30 (2002-2005)
50 Test peak adjusted average: 59.70 (1999-2005)

Quality Points: 575
Career Points: 123
Peak Points: 142
TOTAL POINTS: 839

Shock, horror! Inzi is Pakistan's best test batsman. Many posters will be surprised that he is ranked above Javed, and so was I initially. But if you look carefully at the scorecards of his great innings, apart from the triple century, Inzi scored a lot of his runs when his team was in a world of trouble. He contributed a huge amount to the moderate success of Pakistan in the 1990s and 2000s. Javed may have scored more "daddy" hundreds, but Inzi scored runs against arguably better bowling attacks the world over in the 1990s and he scored them when it really mattered. One thing that Inzi detractors may point to is that he only averaged 35.03 against top tier opposition (adjusted up from 31.46).

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats interesting how his 50 test peak is higher than his 25 test peak, surely thats unique.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Thats interesting how his 50 test peak is higher than his 25 test peak, surely thats unique.
I also find it slightly confusing, as to how it can happen. It really depends on how the peak is selected, but if it's selected in the way I think it is selected then it doesn't make a world of sense. That of course assumes that the selection is based on adjusted averages and not actual averages.

bagapath

International Captain
the remaining top 18

bradman
sobers
hammond
hobbs
hutton
kallis
sangakara
tendulkar
lara
sutcliffe

g.chappell
richards
gavaskar
barrington
ponting
border
s.waugh
headley

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar will make it IMO--
Quality - 600+
Career - 150
Peak - 140 +
Total roughly 900 IMO and we are only upto 839 points yet.

Top 10 will mostly include the "ancient" English bastman :p though I reckon, given their incredibly high averages!

IMO-- Sobers, Hobbs, Barrington, Don, Suttcliffee, Hutton, Hammond will make the Top 10 for sure, unless their avgs get adjusted down significantly! Tendulkar will probably make it too. Can't quite work out who the other two will be.

I reckon these guys won't make it -- Border, Headley, Sangakkara, Kallis & Lara.

Who I am left with? Chappell, Gavaskar, Ponting, Viv and Waugh.

Gavaskar may not make it since his team never won. And Viv may not make it either! And actually I am gonna say Chappell probably won't either!

So Top 10 prediction-
-5 ancient English batsmen :p (incredible avgs, hence probably great peaks as well so will easily make up for any points lost due to realitively short careers)
-Don
-Sobers - obvious
-Ponting (beyond amazing peak + lengthy career + 100s of wins)
-Waugh (Great record + Heaps of wins + brilliant away and against top opposition of the time - West Indies, also was fantastic in the 90s)
-Tendulkar (well rounded career in almost all aspects, great 90s record etc etc)

Both Waugh and Ponting were great in matches won.
It'll most likely be these 10 guys IMO according to my calulations :p

Let's see how it goes ;)

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
I also find it slightly confusing, as to how it can happen. It really depends on how the peak is selected, but if it's selected in the way I think it is selected then it doesn't make a world of sense. That of course assumes that the selection is based on adjusted averages and not actual averages.

Again, I refer you to the original post of this thread:

25 Test peak performance: 50 points ave.
Peak length (Days) 10%
Average 60%
RPI 10%
Significant innings (all opposition) 10%
Centuries (all opposition) 10%

Centuries are non-adjusted

50 Test peak performance: 100 points ave.
Peak length (Days) 10%
Average 60%
RPI 10%
Significant innings (all opposition) 10%
Centuries (all opposition) 10%

smash84

The Tiger King
Tendulkar will make it IMO--
Quality - 600+
Career - 150
Peak - 140 +
Total roughly 900 IMO and we are only upto 839 points yet.

Top 10 will mostly include the "ancient" English bastman :p though I reckon, given their incredibly high averages!

IMO-- Sobers, Hobbs, Barrington, Don, Suttcliffee, Hutton, Hammond will make the Top 10 for sure, unless their avgs get adjusted down significantly! Tendulkar will probably make it too. Can't quite work out who the other two will be.

I reckon these guys won't make it -- Border, Headley, Sangakkara, Kallis & Lara.

Who I am left with? Chappell, Gavaskar, Ponting, Viv and Waugh.

Gavaskar may not make it since his team never won. And Viv may not make it either! And actually I am gonna say Chappell probably won't either!

So Top 10 prediction-
-5 ancient English batsmen :p (incredible avgs, hence probably great peaks as well so will easily make up for any points lost due to realitively short careers)
-Don
-Sobers - obvious
-Ponting (beyond amazing peak + lengthy career + 100s of wins)
-Waugh (Great record + Heaps of wins + brilliant away and against top opposition of the time - West Indies, also was fantastic in the 90s)
-Tendulkar (well rounded career in almost all aspects, great 90s record etc etc)

Both Waugh and Ponting were great in matches won.
It'll most likely be these 10 guys IMO according to my calulations :p

Let's see how it goes ;)
I think Lara will make it to the top 10. Or at least I think he will finish ahead of Tendy

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Am I the only one who is taking ques from DoG signature as an indication of the Top 10?

smash84

The Tiger King
Am I the only one who is taking ques from DoG signature as an indication of the Top 10?
Given that 5 people in the XI in his signature are bowlers or bowling all rounders then yes you are probably the only one trying to cues from his signature :p

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Lara will be around 12th IMO. He'll may lose out as a lot of his 100s and run scoring happened late on his career, from 2003 to 2006 which will probably get adjusted down due to it being a easy phase for batting. Moreover, like a few others his team didn't win much and he does have a rather high avg in draws.

Things in his advantage are RPI, SR in 50+ innings, and a couple of other stats like that

Career bit which includes "great innings" and all that sort of stuff will be pretty irrelevant given all the modern day ATGs will be around 150 points, if not 150. His peak is similar to others, but it doesnt stand out among the remaining players, so not much there either.

So overall I think he'll marginally miss out.

Obviously Idk what sort of adv adjustments DoG is making... Do runs become more valuable in defeats coz your teammates have failed...? If yes, then Lara may indeed make it. If they get adjusted down because they were pretty irrelevant due to your team getting a hiding, then he won't..

Last edited: