Cricket Player Manager
Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Like Tree388Likes

Thread: DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen - The Top 25

Something terribly ****ed up with DoG's methodology. There is no ****ing way Headley can be ranked above John Berry Hobbs. No way!

*sigh*

Headley's going to be number one, isn't he?

Note: the above sigh is in no way a reflection of your work DoG, which continues to be superb.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Absolutely nothing wrong with Headley being rated highly. He's a bit of a tough one for various reasons but he's every bit as qualified for the #2 spot as the 10 or so other blokes with claims to the throne.
    hendrix likes this.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a man’s right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of one’s own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain one’s life and to keep the results of one’s own efforts.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    It might be that there is no Headley in the list and WG Grace to finish ahead of Sobers
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    Something terribly ****ed up with DoG's methodology. There is no ****ing way Headley can be ranked above John Berry Hobbs. No way!
    Needless post.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with Headley being rated highly. He's a bit of a tough one for various reasons but he's every bit as qualified for the #2 spot as the 10 or so other blokes with claims to the throne.
    Yeah, I’ve just looked back through DoG’s original explanation of the calculations and I realised that Headley won’t be punished as much as I thought for his 49% matches played ratio. I’d thought that the lower the ratio (under the 75% cut off), the bigger the points reduction, but this isn’t the case. So any reduction will no doubt be compensated for by his 24-year career length.

His quality points, on the other hand, look like they are going to be immense – which is probably fair enough. His quality/innings ratio was unquestionably exceptional.

I still can’t fathom him ahead of Hobbs though.

Is it going to be Pujara at 3?

I still can’t fathom him ahead of Hobbs though.
    Well there was barely a difference between them in this analysis, and DoG's has a great innings function - of which Hobbs only had 1 - so it makes perfect sense to me for Headley to essentially climb him based on that. I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with Headley being rated ahead of Hobbs at all. I think Hobbs gets a slight bonus in our minds, perhaps subconsciously, for doing it as an opener while most of the other really great batsmen did it at first or second drop.

Interesting that his only great innings comes as a non opener.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    One great innings, that is the number I was looking for with regards to Hobbs. I am familiar with the anecdotal evidence with regard to the great man, no so much the specifics. Great batsman none the less who before the war and at his attacking best was surely the best before Bradman and a contender for the title after him as well.

Wow, two West Indian batsmen in the top three is insane. I think we all tend to forget that he scored hundreds in nearly half of his matches and scored half of the centuries scored by W.Indian batsmen while he played. Wonder which would be next.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Needless post.
    DoG knows I don't mean it literally and I am participating in the discussion with all the enthusiasm in the world.

Besides, you can't call it a needless post. There is something in his methodology that allows a guy with 20 odd tests rank above Tendulkar, Lara, Richards, Hutton, Hobbs, Chappell, Hammond and Gavaskar. I am totally in disagreement with that.
    Last edited by bagapath; 02-09-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Well there was barely a difference between them in this analysis, and DoG's has a great innings function - of which Hobbs only had 1 - so it makes perfect sense to me for Headley to essentially climb him based on that. I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with Headley being rated ahead of Hobbs at all. I think Hobbs gets a slight bonus in our minds, perhaps subconsciously, for doing it as an opener while most of the other really great batsmen did it at first or second drop.
    0.071 points? That’s a massive difference.

What’s interesting about that analysis is where they gain and lose points over each other. Headley’s average was standardised considerably higher than Hobbs’ in your exercise, but his longevity score was far lower, presumably due to playing so few Tests. DoG’s analysis will give a far higher score to Headley’s longevity due to its focus on career length, but I doubt his standardised average will be as far ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    0.071 points? That’s a massive difference.

What’s interesting about that analysis is where they gain and lose points over each other. Headley’s average was standardised considerably higher than Hobbs’ in your exercise, but his longevity score was far lower, presumably due to playing so few Tests. DoG’s analysis will give a far higher score to Headley’s longevity due to its focus on career length, but I doubt his standardised average will be as far ahead.
    I actually have a new set of batting rankings that incorporate various set peak lengths as well as that career measure that I've been meaning to post for a while but I didn't want to step on DoG's toes until he'd at least finished this great thread. I'll post them up for comparison at the end if he gives his blessing.
    honestbharani likes this.

I actually have a new set of batting rankings that incorporate various set peak lengths as well as that career measure that I've been meaning to post for a while but I didn't want to step on DoG's toes until he'd at least finished this great thread. I'll post them up for comparison at the end if he gives his blessing.
    Mahwire ftr.

I am curious, how is an opener supposed to have too many great innings? Centuries he scores obviously are a preemptive strike against difficult situations arising. So how is he supposed to get the team out of said difficult situations? Might be wrong on this DoG, but would like an explanation
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread Information