• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen - The Top 25

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah....DoG....how come Miandad's innings against the WI don't show up in his list of great innings?

Days of Grace

International Captain
His two centuries in the West Indies in 1988 got 8.72 and 11.98.

Again, these are statistical measurements, which take into account the team score and the strength of opposition. It doesn't measure aesthetics, whether Miandad was feeling under the weather at the time, or how many bouncers the Windies bowlers gave him.

Days of Grace

International Captain
21. Everton Weekes (West Indies) (1948-1958)

Career Length (Days): 3717
Percentage of team's matches played: 98%
Career Average: 58.61
Adjusted career average: 55.54 (rank 9)
Adjusted away average: 48.65
Adjusted top-opposition average: 46.06
Top Tier centuries: 1
Second tier centuries: 0
Third tier centuries: 7
Significant innings: 17
Significant innings per match: 0.35

Great innings: 0

Innings worth average: 3.92 (rank 7)

25 Test peak adjusted average: 65.26 (1948-1954)

Quality Points: 638
Career Points: 50
Peak Points: 136
TOTAL POINTS: 825

Everton Weekes plundered runs against weak teams but was only moderately successful against the best bowling attacks of his era. That costs this wonderfully attacking middle-order batsman a place in the top 20. He is also one of only three players in the top 50 to not have a great innings. His highest rated innings was 90* made against England in 1953/54. He still has 5 innings rated above 10.00 points.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree, sustained a bad hamstring injury after that 90* that greatly affected his movement and production. But never really fired in later series either. Wonderful all round cricketer who Bradman said was the W.I batsman that was closest to him and Sobers called the best W.I batsman he has seen, also a world class slip fielder in the Hammond/ Chappell class. Brilliant batsman who just never got in right againts the very best for one reason or another.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
My personal favourite of the 3 W's though yes, somewhat of a minnow basher. Just wondering, you didn't indicate if Pollock's adjusted career and top opposition averages were in the top 10, was wondering if you could fix that?

Days of Grace

International Captain
20. Rahul Dravid (India) (1996-2012)

Career Length (Days): 5696
Percentage of team's matches played: 99%
Career Average: 52.31
Adjusted career average: 48.70
Adjusted away average: 49.66
Adjusted top-opposition average: 43.75
Top Tier centuries: 7 (rank 9=)
Second tier centuries: 2
Third tier centuries: 17
Significant innings: 56 (rank 5)
Significant innings per match: 0.34

Great innings: 7 (rank 5=)
2nd Test: India v Australia at Kolkata, Mar 11-15, 2001 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 14.37
2nd Test: Australia v India at Adelaide, Dec 12-16, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 18.50
3rd Test: Pakistan v India at Rawalpindi, Apr 13-16, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 16.11
4th Test: India v Australia at Mumbai, Nov 3-5, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 12.61 (1st Inns)
1st Test: India v Sri Lanka at Ahmedabad, Nov 16-20, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 13.18
1st Test: West Indies v India at Kingston, Jun 20-23, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 12.64
4th Test: England v India at The Oval, Aug 18-22, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 14.73

Innings worth average: 3.26

25 Test peak adjusted average: 69.01 (2002-2005)
50 Test peak adjusted average: 63.10 (2000-2005) (rank 9)

Quality Points: 556
Career Points: 142
Peak Points: 139
TOTAL POINTS: 837

The wall of Indian cricket for more than 15 years, Dravid has a stack-load of career points due to being ranked in the top 10 in terms of significant and great innings. He is unlucky to not have even more great innings. His famous twin-fifties in the West Indies in 2006 were rated 12.46 & 11.12. Where Dravid loses points is in his surprisingly low top-opposition average. He "only" averaged 40.31 (adjusted up from 37.68) against the top tier opposition of his day. His 31* on the infamous Mumbai dustbowl in 2004 must surely be the lowest score to get a rating of 12.50 or more.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
wow...this is a surprise.....would have thought that Dravid might finish higher given that he is played a big part in a lot of victories

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah thought Dravid might've squeezed in to the 15, but sadly no. Inzamam's gotta be next, right?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Great work as usual DoG, two points though.

The first is a question, did you consider at any time utilizing strike rate as part of you equation, for me it makes up so much of how we rate batsmen, as much as runs vs top opposition. For example few rate the likes of Barrington, Sutcliffe ect ahead of say Ponting and Viv dispite higher averages. Just a thought.

Second, while I though both would have rated higher, I figured that Pollock and Weekes would have been ranked rather closely as I personally rate them more or less equals with Pollock just ahead. I have rated them similar as neither really dominated high quality attacks in tests (Pollock didn't get the opportunity, Weekes was either injured or just failed) and never fully understood the basis of comparrisons between Pollock and the likes of Lara, Richards, Tendulkar ect who did prove they could play top tier attacks. Hammond is also one who I rate a tad closer to Pollock and Weekes (some where between Pollock and Weekes actually) than the aforementioned and interested to see where he lands.

Days of Grace

International Captain
If you check the original post in this thread, you'll see that strike-rate for 50+ scores is part of the formula.

smash84

The Tiger King
Great work as usual DoG, two points though.

The first is a question, did you consider at any time utilizing strike rate as part of you equation, for me it makes up so much of how we rate batsmen, as much as runs vs top opposition. For example few rate the likes of Barrington, Sutcliffe ect ahead of say Ponting and Viv dispite higher averages. .
If you check the original post in this thread, you'll see that strike-rate for 50+ scores is part of the formula.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like Dravid's taken a big hit for playing on for too long despite a great 2011. I am sure the same will follow for the likes of Tendulkar and Ponting and perhaps a few others. (I personally think that after a certain point in an ATG's career, the decline in his personal standards, relatively speaking, shouldn't be marked down as much since the ATG's already achieved everything and it is particularly unfair if you compare him to guys who retire relatively early (say 36 instead of 38/39) and benefit by keeping their Avgs intact...).

Honestly don't believe that Dravid deserves to be ranked 20th but still good effort nonetheless given that you have already incorporated a heck a lot of things into your programme :)

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Another thing to note here is that--

Dravid's raw final avg of 52 has come about after playing 70 Tests at home and 94 Tests away, including 69 Tests outside the Sub-continent
In contrast, Sangakkara's raw avg of 56, for example, has been made possible after 67 Tests at home and 50 Tests away (including only 32 Tests outside Asia).

I don't know if you took this sort of thing into account?

Another thing that might've cost Dravid is he might have not scored too many runs in match saving draws, and instead just played a HUGE number of balls to save the game.

smash84

The Tiger King
yes centurymaker...Dravid didn't make the top 15. It is alright. Like any other list, this list has its own criteria to rank batsmen and Rahul (unforunately) doesn't make the cut.

I don't think that many who saw them bat (me included) would ever put Inzy above Miandad. but according to this list he is. So chill and enjoy the list :)