Cricket Player Manager
Page 39 of 56 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Like Tree388Likes

Thread: DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen - The Top 25

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Captain_Cook's Avatar
    I noticed that many members have Hobbs and Hutton as their All Time opening partnership. Since Hobbs and Sutcliffe had the greatest opening partnership in history, was Hutton that much better than Sutcliffe to break up such a legendary partnership?

Are the best individual batsman for the position preferable to those who have enough mutual understanding and complimentary skills?
    He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right, but when he bowls at the stumps, he makes England look ****e!

My Modern Test XI (since 2000): AN Cook, GC Smith (c), HM Amla, KC Sangakkara (w), MJ Clarke, IR Bell, S Watson, GP Swann, VD Philander, DW Steyn, JM Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Cook View Post
    Are the best individual batsman for the position preferable to those who have enough mutual understanding and complimentary skills?
    Yes, basically. It's a theoretical side; we could theoretically make them play 15 Tests a year together for 20 years. I'm sure Hobbs and Hutton would have just as good an understanding after that period.

I'm definitely not sold on the idea of picking someone just because he happened to play with someone else even in practical sides, but in theoretical sides it's definitely grossly unfair and needless in the process of picking the best players to form the best side on paper.

I should make it clear that I've got no problems with people actually picking Sutcliffe. You could make a good case for Sutcliffe being better than Hutton as I believe Coronis and maybe a couple of others have. "He was lucky enough to play with Hobbs" is a cop out though; when picking these teams the idea IMO is to remove the variables that exist due to circumstance and chance as best you can and examine how all the candidates performed in the situations they found themselves in and how much they proved in doing so.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 30-08-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Bradman's will be higher but that aside I think it could be.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Cook View Post
    I noticed that many members have Hobbs and Hutton as their All Time opening partnership. Since Hobbs and Sutcliffe had the greatest opening partnership in history, was Hutton that much better than Sutcliffe to break up such a legendary partnership?

For me yes, but I also belive Hutton may have been better than Hobbs as well. Sutcliiffe for me just scored too damm slowly, a s/r in the hight 30's just doesn't cut it for me. Added to the fact that was a cear number two to Hobbs in the partnership and those who saw them play unanimously choose Hobbs as Sutcliffe superior while Hutton faced superior attacks and faced greater challenges. Pretty clear cut for me.

Additioanlly if we are picking by partnerships then why not pick Garner to open with Marshall, best opening new ball pair ever and Garner's stats on face value are comparable or better than those in competition for the slot opposite Maco's and they also complement each other well.

The way I se it pick the best players period.
    Last edited by kyear2; 30-08-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Hobbs, Hutton, Sobers, and Hammond maintained an avg close to 60 for almost till the last few innings of their careers. No wonder they are so high up in the rankings. Lara standing tall along with them (and Bradman) is the best thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    Hobbs, Hutton, Sobers, and Hammond maintained an avg close to 60 for almost till the last few innings of their careers. No wonder they are so high up in the rankings. Lara standing tall along with them (and Bradman) is the best thing for me.
    Yea, really though Viv would have been higher that Lara though, but both were absolutely brilliant and peerless at their absolute best.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    would have loved Viv to be in the top 5. Would be interesting to see if Lara came out ahead of Sobers in this exercise.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quite surprised Hutton isn't higher - for he's always been the best batsman whose initials aren't DGB, save for a few years in the 80s when Graeme Fowler was at his peak, obviously

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    I'll reply to what I want to reply to. If you don't like it, don't read. Just as I ignore half your bull**** posts on here.

Having said that, I'm more interested in the next batsman coming up. Hurry up DoG.

Nah.. u guys are dng Warne Vs Murali in proxy here basically.. It would be better if you guys took this argument there and leave this floor to DoG This is not even a top 100 bowlers' thread, FFS..
    Last edited by honestbharani; 30-08-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web Staff Member chasingthedon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I didn't know that number, although I suppose with an educated guess I'd have got within 10k of it, but it really does put that innings in context - phenomenal performance, although I don't think its in the top 25 in Patrick Ferriday's new book
    Spoiler alert

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    For me yes, but I also belive Hutton may have been better than Hobbs as well. Sutcliiffe for me just scored too damm slowly, a s/r in the hight 30's just doesn't cut it for me. Added to the fact that was a cear number two to Hobbs in the partnership and those who saw them play unanimously choose Hobbs as Sutcliffe superior while Hutton faced superior attacks and faced greater challenges. Pretty clear cut for me.

Additioanlly if we are picking by partnerships then why not pick Garner to open with Marshall, best opening new ball pair ever and Garner's stats on face value are comparable or better than those in competition for the slot opposite Maco's and they also complement each other well.

The way I se it pick the best players period.
    Since you are so obsessed with strike-rates, here are the strike-rates for innings of 50+ for the top 25 batsmen.

Hutton and Sutcliffe were in the same ballpark.

But I agree with you that Hutton faced much better bowling attacks and that, together with his great innings', is primarily why he is ahead of Sutcliffe in this analysis.

IVA Richards 68.00
    BC Lara 66.28
    RG Pollock 63.00
    RT Ponting 62.04
    DG Bradman 62.00
    ED Weekes 62.00
    Inzamam-ul-Haq 57.73
    KC Sangakkara 56.68
    SR Tendulkar 56.38
    GS Chappell 55.00
    RN Harvey 55.00
    GS Sobers 54.00
    JB Hobbs 53.00
    Javed Miandad 52.00
    SR Waugh 51.79
    WR Hammond 51.00
    JH Kallis 49.69
    GA Headley 47.00
    SM Gavaskar 47.00
    R Dravid 46.76
    S Chanderpaul 46.29
    AR Border 44.03
    L Hutton 43.00
    KF Barrington 42.00
    H Sutcliffe 40.00

Some of the numbers have been rounded off because the data wasn't fully available and I had to take an educated guess at the balls faced. Charles Davis helped me a lot in this regard.

Also, have you seen scorecards for the 1928/29 Ashes? Some of Hammond's centuries were scored at a strike-rate of under 30. Fair dibs, there were timeless tests IIRC, but still.
    Last edited by Days of Grace; 30-08-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

"Neither of them will have an international cricket acareer past 2016."
    Brocky on Martin Guptill and Ish Sodhi. 20/11/2014.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Chee-Quee yet to pop up #darkhorse
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbs View Post
    Only joined recently and I just read the whole thread through, all 41 pages. What a thoroughly thought-provoking analysis... fascinating and edumacating in equal measure - rare combo! Just want to say thanks for the mindbending amount of work you must have put into this, DoG.

Eagerly anticipating the bowlers' version, although I may have to go away and wait for that thread to reach 50 pages so I can have another binge-in-one-sitting read. Installments would probably kill me.

Hobbs next??

Same with me. I joined this forum 3 1/2 years ago, when Sean was doing 50 greatest players, and binge-read all 50 threads. It is all down hill from there, till this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Since you are so obsessed with strike-rates, here are the strike-rates for innings of 50+ for the top 25 batsmen.

Hutton and Sutcliffe were in the same ballpark.

But I agree with you that Hutton faced much better bowling attacks and that, together with his great innings', is primarily why he is ahead of Sutcliffe in this analysis.

IVA Richards 68.00
    BC Lara 66.28
    RG Pollock 63.00
    RT Ponting 62.04
    DG Bradman 62.00
    ED Weekes 62.00
    Inzamam-ul-Haq 57.73
    KC Sangakkara 56.68
    SR Tendulkar 56.38
    GS Chappell 55.00
    RN Harvey 55.00
    GS Sobers 54.00
    JB Hobbs 53.00
    Javed Miandad 52.00
    SR Waugh 51.79
    WR Hammond 51.00
    JH Kallis 49.69
    GA Headley 47.00
    SM Gavaskar 47.00
    R Dravid 46.76
    S Chanderpaul 46.29
    AR Border 44.03
    L Hutton 43.00
    KF Barrington 42.00
    H Sutcliffe 40.00

Some of the numbers have been rounded off because the data wasn't fully available and I had to take an educated guess at the balls faced. Charles Davis helped me a lot in this regard.

Also, have you seen scorecards for the 1928/29 Ashes? Some of Hammond's centuries were scored at a strike-rate of under 30. Fair dibs, there were timeless tests IIRC, but still.
    Was aware of Hammond's scoring rate which is again one of the reasons Indon't rate him as highly as some others. Though Hobbs and Sobers numbers would have been higher and though Chappell's was lower as well, so pleasant surprise from him. What really was surprising was Headley, that number was much lower than expected.

Someone I will be taking an additional look at is Sir Everton, Bradman had stated that he was the best W.I batsman he had seen and he saw Sobers, Headley and Richards.
    Last edited by kyear2; 30-08-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Clearly, strike rate is not always important for a batsman.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. A.C Gilchrist 7. Imran Khan 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

Page 39 of 56 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread Information