• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen - The Top 25

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm beginning to think that none of DRJ, Derek Randall or Graeme Fowler are going to figure in this - flawed methodology imo
With Chris Tavare obviously taking one spot and Greg Ritchie another, there were always going to be undeserving casualties.

smash84

The Tiger King
Could look a fool when Inzamam turns up next, smiley.
Potentially but given DoG's methodology of giving a lot of weight to runs coming in victories Inzy might make the top 10 (or top 15)

Miandad might show up earlier

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This is too low. G. Pollock is my favourite all time batsman. I always have him in my first ATG XI. I still will on the grounds that he has the 3rd highest quality points! Playing 3 unquestionably 'great innings' in that short career is quite amazing too. Wonder who has the second highest quality points. Lara or Sobers? Or could even be those with very high averages.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
This is too low. G. Pollock is my favourite all time batsman. I always have him in my first ATG XI. I still will on the grounds that he has the 3rd highest quality points! Playing 3 unquestionably 'great innings' in that short career is quite amazing too. Wonder who has the second highest quality points. Lara or Sobers? Or could even be those with very high averages.
Pretty sure it'll be Headley.

Days of Grace

International Captain
22. Javed Miandad (Pakistan) (1976-1993)

Career Length (Days): 6277
Percentage of team's matches played: 93%
Career Average: 52.57
Adjusted career average: 50.18
Adjusted away average: 44.78
Adjusted top-opposition average: 47.42
Top Tier centuries: 2
Second tier centuries: 5
Third tier centuries: 13
Significant innings: 35
Significant innings per match: 0.28

Great innings: 5
2nd Test: Australia v Pakistan at Perth, Mar 24-29, 1979 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 12.87
4th Test: Pakistan v India at Hyderabad (Sind), Jan 14-19, 1983 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 12.66
2nd Test: Pakistan v New Zealand at Hyderabad (Sind), Nov 25-29, 1984 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 12.76 (1st Inns)
1st Test: Pakistan v Australia at Karachi, Sep 15-20, 1988 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 14.13
Only Test: New Zealand v Pakistan at Hamilton, Jan 2-5, 1993 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 13.22

Innings worth average: 3.38

25 Test peak adjusted average: 63.68 (1986-1989)
50 Test peak adjusted average: 58.01 (1983-1989)

Quality Points: 569
Career Points: 115
Peak Points: 131
TOTAL POINTS: 814

The original street-fighter, Javed Miandad was one of the main reasons Pakistan was the only team to keep the West Indies honest in the 1980s. Javed's record reads as being solid without being truly outstanding. Even though his 50 test peak was in the 1980s, which many people think of as a very difficult era for batsmen, his average is actually adjusted downwards by 6% due to a large amount of runs made against the Indian bowling attacks of that era. The "bore draws" of that era also don't help his significant innings per match stat.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Pakistan's greatest batsman and a real street fighter. There is no doubt that he gave Pakistan the ability to compete and would always be willing to grind it out

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Shocked at where Pollock is rated, makes me nervous for Headley now as well?

keep them coming DoG.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Okay, here are my bets for the next five:

21. Border
20. Headley
19. Inzi
18. Weekes
17. Gavaskar/Waugh

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Headley will be higher, his career length in terms of time will outweigh the fact that he only played 22 Tests.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I hope Inzi is next because to put it not so bluntly, I think he is the worst batsman remaining. Not that there is anything wrong with being the 21st batsman in the history of Test Cricket.

bagapath

International Captain
What if Viv Richards comes up next? After all his stats alone are not great, except 40+ avg in all four innings but that is not part of DOG's equation.

smash84

The Tiger King
I hope Inzi is next because to put it not so bluntly, I think he is the worst batsman remaining. Not that there is anything wrong with being the 21st batsman in the history of Test Cricket.
Inzy should have been below Miandad as well IMO. At least that is what pretty much all observers of Pakistan cricket will tell you.