Page 21 of 56 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Like Tree388Likes

Thread: DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen - The Top 25

I think if you're a seam-dominant pace attack (i.e. Australia in the 2000s) then yes, SL is a place where you'll struggle. Plenty of swing bowlers do fine there though. Vaas, the Pakistani bowlers. Hell, even someone like Kulasekara does all right.

Just gotta play to the conditions: pitch it up, get late swing. Not every pitch needs to play like Australia.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    They are tailor made for Murali, the difference is that except for when Warne came to town they were not any other spinners around to exploit them from opposing teams. The tracks are slow and useless for opposing seamers of which most opposing teams attacks are primarily made up. The wickets in Sri Lanka are roads for pace bolwers and cannon fodder for the likes of Sangakkara and Mahela who have fully exploited them. It also wouldn't be so bad if he didn't play such a disproportionate amout of games at home or played more games againts Bangladesh than Australia and all of this in an era Steyn apart is devoid of great fast bolwers.
    But you accept that they offer purchase for spinners, right? So when a guy like Mehala destroys Swann and Monty to all parts in a series in Sri Lanka, it should actually be credited instead of being useless home runs that prove he's a FTB.

Your point about most sides being mostly made up of seamers is pretty redundant. Plenty of sides have spinners as their main bowlers, who usually bowl a large chunk of overs. All Asian sides, and even England and the West Indies would probably look for spin to be their main weapon if they went to SL tomorrow. That's more than half the test playing nations. Furthermore, if that's the atttidue, shouldn't we pretty much discount a lot of the runs scored by Australian and South African batsman at home against Asian sides, who are usually spin dominant?

Besides, The Sean nailed it with his post. You can't determine the merits of someones career simply by statsguruing which continents they get most of their runs in. There are flat wickets in Asia, just like there are flat wickets everywhere; but there are also pitches that do a lot, just like there are pitches that do a lot everywhere. To really determine the merit of someones runs, you need to watch their innings, and in the case of a players career, most of their innings.
    smalishah84 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    I think if you're a seam-dominant pace attack (i.e. Australia in the 2000s) then yes, SL is a place where you'll struggle. Plenty of swing bowlers do fine there though. Vaas, the Pakistani bowlers. Hell, even someone like Kulasekara does all right.

Just gotta play to the conditions: pitch it up, get late swing. Not every pitch needs to play like Australia.
    The same Australia where the so called great South Africa attack, bowling to the so called rubbish Australian batting line up, conceded over 500 half the time they bowled? Seemed like Roads to me.

I'm wondering how many actual series in the past 20 years have actually been played on green tops?

U19 Vice-Captain
    I'm wondering how many actual series in the past 20 years have actually been played on green tops?
    I seem to remember the Windies being treated to a couple of green-ish tops on the return series in 2009 after they went ahead against us in the Caribbean and then prepared boredom inducing "Even Ravi Bopara can score on these" roads to induce draws for the rest of the series.

They're few and far between.

Yet there are plenty of "tricky" wickets - all over the world including the subcontinent.

Dunedin is probably flatter than most SC wickets. Hell, anywhere India's played in the past few years outside of England has been bloody flat.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    India in New Zealand in 2002-03 would be about it, I think.
    L Trumper and bagapath like this.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Even the pitches in the England series weren't ones you'd label seamer friendly. Games in England are maybe slightly more seamer friendly than most, but it's almost all to do with atmospheric conditions and the Duke. Pitches are usually flat, without the pace and bounce of the ones in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    India in New Zealand in 2002-03 would be about it, I think.
    This is the one that people always bring up.

So so sad as it was a great series. Bond was excellent and the conditions suited Tuffey et al.

Dravid scored runs, WAG
    honestbharani likes this.

The Murali's controversial run out series in NZ was played on greentops too IIRC

State Vice-Captain
    This thread has become a top source of amusement for me. Bring on Headley.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    The Murali's controversial run out series in NZ was played on greentops too IIRC
    Good call. Hard to forget how well Chamara Silva played at Wellington (after a disastrous debut in Christchurch) only to disappear again shortly after. Whatever happened to him?
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Either of Hammond, Sangakkara or Kallis next. The way things have played out though, could be anyone.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    both headley and pollock, absolute masters of the art of batting, deserve to be in the top 30. but there are 25 other batters who are equally or more talented than them (in the case of bradman for example) who played longer, maintained their high standards over a variety of opponents for decades and hence should be ranked above them.

as for stats and whatnot.... Sachin Tendulkar and Greg Chappell happen to belong to the rarest of the rare breed of batters who average 35+ against all opponents both home and away. Chappell didn't get to play in India and didn't score a hundred against New Zealand in Australia. But he succeeded against all possible challenges thrown at him. Sachin has played against all test playing nations of his time both home and away (except B'desh at home) and scored hundreds against all of them (except in Zim) maintaining a 40+ average against each of them (except a sub 40 avg against SA at home).

It is sensible to predict that a Ponting would struggle in India or a Kallis would have tough time in Sri Lanka. Even the great Viv Richards can be expected to fail in New Zealand. But in terms of consistency and all round success Greg Chappell and, even more definitely, Sachin Tendulkar top the list all around the globe. This factor and runs against top nations of the era (Windies of the 80s, Aussies bet '95 and '05) are usually considered in how I judge great batsmen.

AWTA especially the bit about G Chappell. IMO the second best Ozzie batsman of all time and in the argument for 2nd best after Bradman worldwide
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    No worse than Headley being in the top 10. He was a minnow basher.
    Pray tell what minnow team Headley bashed ??

Page 21 of 56 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread Information