• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen - The Top 25

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
why so much hatred on sangas:@ I gues you're not from India:sneaky2:
Not hatred, but for me I have seen Ricky bat and I have seen Sangakkara bat, and Ricky is better. I would go futher to say Ponting is also better than Kallis who is also yet to appear.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
why so much hatred on sangas:@:
It is not hate, it just feels weird seeing a very good to great batsman being rated above ATGs-
Rahul Dravid, Allan Border, Sunil Gavaskar, Herbert Sutcliffe, Greg Chappell, Steve Waugh, Ricky Ponting....

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Thought Punter would be Top 10 for sure, given the weighting put on wins. Interesting that while his career and peak points are exceptionally high, his Quality Points - relatively speaking - let him down.

smash84

The Tiger King
If Sanga was from a top 4 test playing nation, I don't think you'd be saying that. Context is everything.
So agree with this. I have seen a lot of Asian cricketers play over the years and except for SRT, I can't really say for sure if there has been a better test batsman from Asia.

Delo12

Cricket Spectator
So agree with this. I have seen a lot of Asian cricketers play over the years and except for SRT, I can't really say for sure if there has been a better test batsman from Asia.
this +1..........plus dont know why sanga is so underrated. agreed murali has been the foremost contributor in Lanka winning Test matches since 2000 (since sanga's debut), but without runs on the board even a great bowler like murali couldn't hv done much, most the time sanga has been the main contributor with the bat.........and in contrary to Punter who has had good to great Batsmen to follow him once he got out , plus had decent opening pairs throughout compared to Lankan's who've been very ordinary especially overseas........and yet people degrade sanga's stats..........:(

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
If Sanga was from a top 4 test playing nation, I don't think you'd be saying that. Context is everything.
I would be saying exactly that for someone whose stats have been boosted by huge number of home games (/games in Asia)

Even his stats are relatively imbalanced - (i don't see how he is superior to those ATGs I mentioned)

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Basically settles few issues. Mahela being a better batsman than Sehwag or Pietersen is one. Sanga well, I think he's next.

bagapath

International Captain
If he averaged only 30 in England, 35 in South Africa, 34 in West Indies and 36 in India I would definitely question his high ranking - irrespective of where he came from. Since these are his actual numbers I totally disagree with him being ranked above Ponting, Border, Waugh, Chappell and Gavaskar.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If he was from a top four country he'd quite potentially have a less impressive record. In saying that, he has been a monster at home so I'm not surprised that he is well inside the top 20.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If he was from a top four country he'd quite potentially have a less impressive record. In saying that, he has been a monster at home so I'm not surprised that he is well inside the top 20.
If his home country was Australia, would have been averaging five more runs than now. Plays better on wickets with pace than on sub continental tracks.

bagapath

International Captain
If his home country was Australia, would have been averaging five more runs than now. Plays better on wickets with pace than on sub continental tracks.
His poor records in England, West Indies and South Africa show that your assumption is very wrong.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
His poor records in England, West Indies and South Africa show that your assumption is very wrong.
Has not played much in WI so could say nothing about that. And if Australia was home he would play more matches and Aussie turfs as well. Put him on WI tracks, he will pile on runs given the WI attacks. In England he has been poor. (And BTW, he and SRT both averaged same against the current English attack. And we can see how SRt would do against Steyn, Morkel and Philander this time around to get and idea whether Sanga's record against them poor or not.)