• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen - The Top 25

Howe_zat

Audio File
I guess the problem for DoG is that his system can't take a drastically changing wicket like a rained-on dog into account. From the scorecard alone the pitch in the 1928 looks pretty good, given there were 6 tons scored on it, one of which was a double. And England piled on the runs in that series in general.

Howe_zat

Audio File
But frig, what a match that must have been like to see live. England look nailed on to chase 332 when they're 318/3. Then four wickets go for 10 runs. Hiding behind your hands time.

uvelocity

International Coach
be done with that ******** Days of Grace asap. the higher his ranking goes, my respect for DoG's hard work diminishes proportionally :p

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
So, the lucky 13 remaining. Personally (today, anyway), I’d probably rank them:

Don Bradman
Jack Hobbs
Sachin Tendulkar
Garry Sobers
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Walter Hammond
Len Hutton
Greg Chappell
Ricky Ponting
George Headley
Jacques Kallis
Kumar Sangakkarra

However, I’m pretty sure there’s no way in hell that this is the order in which they’ll actually finish! In fact, if pressed I reckon Greg Chappell might actually be next up.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Think Ponting will be a fair bit higher than Chappell, partly due to winning so much and partly because Chappell missed a lot of Tests.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, my list was just how I'd personally rank them - agree with you that Ponting will probably come in well ahead of Chappell in this analysis.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I'll go: Sangakkara, Chappell, Headley

Can't see Kallis missing out with his weight of runs even though most people opine that he doesn't belong in top 10. Same argument goes for Ponting, so Chappell likely to ranked lower. Choosing Headley because of a short career and not playing against great bowling attacks. Other than Sanga it will be tough on anyone to miss out though.

EDIT: Or same as MW

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah agreed, each situation is different and there's no question that batting selfishly just to get the red ink at the expense of helping your team should be judged harshly - particularly so if a batsman makes a habit of it. And of course there are the extreme examples of a lot of low not-out scores contributing to a very high average (Bill Johnston 1953, I'm looking at you here).

As a general rule though, I tend to disagree with the belief that not-outs somehow "artificially" inflate batting averages.

Yeah, there were a number of Kallis innings like that which led to the he is/was perceived by most cricket fans across the world... And Sachin's twin daddy hundreds at Sydney and Multan were similar too.. But with SRW, it did seem like more of a habit..

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is everyone rooting for Headley to finish outside of the top 10 (and previously top 20 for that matter)?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
coz he played like 20 odd tests. No one deserves to finish this high based on such a small sample size in this statistical analysis

Days of Grace

International Captain
13. Greg Chappell (Australia) (1970-1984)

Career Length (Days): 4770
Percentage of team's matches played: 73%
Career Average: 53.86
Adjusted career average: 53.11
Adjusted away average: 50.71
Adjusted top-opposition average: 51.98
Top Tier centuries: 6
Second tier centuries: 7
Third tier centuries: 11
Significant innings: 35
Significant innings per match: 0.40

Great innings: 4
2nd Test: England v Australia at Lord's, Jun 22-26, 1972 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 13.90
4th Test: Australia v West Indies at Sydney, Jan 3-7, 1976 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 17.77
1st Test: Australia v India at Sydney, Jan 2-4, 1981 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 14.46
3rd Test: New Zealand v Australia at Christchurch, Mar 19-22, 1982 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 19.43

Innings worth average: 3.56

25 Test peak adjusted average: 61.33 (1973-1977)
50 Test peak adjusted average: 55.90 (1972-1980)

Quality Points: 625
Career Points: 107
Peak Points: 137
TOTAL POINTS: 869

Even though he is ranked as high as no.13, there is a feeling that Greg Chappell should be higher in the list. WSC came along right at Chappell's peak, and the tests he missed during those two seasons, along with not playing as many away games as he could have done, probably cost him a place in the top 10. His peak itself is not outstanding. But he makes up for it with his sheer consistency over 14 years. His lowest adjusted average over 25 tests was 46.87.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I guess the problem for DoG is that his system can't take a drastically changing wicket like a rained-on dog into account. From the scorecard alone the pitch in the 1928 looks pretty good, given there were 6 tons scored on it, one of which was a double. And England piled on the runs in that series in general.
Yes, you are correct. The innings in 1928/29 was rated 11.41.