• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen - The Top 25

Days of Grace

International Captain
Thanks. :)

Out of interest, how did Waugh's second innings at Old Trafford in '97 rate? I would have assumed that the two were pretty close together but apparently not.

DoG to confirm, but I think points are only docked if the matches played falls below 75%.
That is correct.

Is that so as to compare with the ICC ratings?
Kind of. But also because it looks good. As in 1000 signifies perfection.

Days of Grace

International Captain
14. Herbert Sutcliffe (England) (1924-1935)

Career Length (Days): 4032
Percentage of team's matches played: 68%
Career Average: 60.73
Adjusted career average: 56.46 (rank 6)
Adjusted away average: 56.19 (rank 8)
Adjusted top-opposition average: 61.94 (rank 5)
Top Tier centuries: 5
Second tier centuries: 3
Third tier centuries: 5
Significant innings: 22
Significant innings per match: 0.41

Great innings: 0

Innings worth average: 3.74

25 Test peak adjusted average: 59.00 (1926-1932)
50 Test peak adjusted average: 58.31 (1924-1934)

Quality Points: 665
Career Points: 53
Peak Points: 141
TOTAL POINTS: 859

Herbert Sutcliffe has a very similar record to Ken Barrington: a very high set of averages, including an outstanding T/O ave., but no great innings. He does however have 3 innings rated above 10.00, the highest being his 194 in the first "Bodyline" test (11.80). This could be down to his slow-scoring. His 50+ scoring rate is only 40 runs per ball, the lowest in the top 25. But what I like about this formula is that it gives various types of batsmen who excel in different ways a chance to be rated highly. Sutcliffe deserves a place in the top 15. He is one of only 11 batsmen in the top 50 to have a higher T/O ave than career ave. In fact his average against top-tier opposition is a phenomenal 70.67 over 13 matches. He is very unlucky to miss out on an alltime England XI since, as you know, there are still two English opening batsmen to come.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Interesting to note the absence of great innings in both Sutcliffe and Barrington. Both have pretty much unrivalled averages, but are still subsequently rated below the likes of Hobbs and Compton. Guess it's a justification of why.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
No great innings for Sutcliffe or Barrington, I think the term used earlier was souless accumulators.

Ratings aside would much prefer a Pollock, Lara or Richards over a Barrington, Sutcliffe or Kallis in my team. Positive players who inspire and can take over a game.

Delo12

Cricket Spectator
As a Sanga fan I just hope he doesnt't appear till the last 10:D..........nice read btw 'Days of Grace ':thumbup1:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Bradman
Sobers
Hobbs
Richards
Hutton
Headley
Tendulkar
Lara
Chappell
Hammond
Ponting
Kallis
Sangakkara

Decent guess I hope, obviously can be, and likely very wrong.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
My predictions have been sooo off lol. Sangakkara has to be among the next 2/3 players surely, if not the next one

bagapath

International Captain
be done with that ******** headley asap. the higher his ranking goes, my respect for DoG's hard work diminishes proportionally .

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
be done with that ******** Sangakkara asap. the higher his ranking goes, my respect for DoG's hard work diminishes proportionally :p

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
be done with that ******** Bradman asap. the higher his ranking goes, my respect for DoG's hard work diminishes proportionally :p

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I had always thought Sutcliffe's 2nd innings on a horrible sticky wicket in Melbourne in 28-29 when Australia was favoured to win the match easily was rated very highly. DOG, whereabouts does the innings rate, if you'd please?

3rd Test: Australia v England at Melbourne, Dec 29, 1928 - Jan 5, 1929 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
Yeah, agreed. Both that innings and his 161 at The Oval in 1926 were absolute masterpieces on what were considered virtually impossible batting wickets. I'm amazed neither of them fall into the Great Innings category.

I'm assuming that Sutcliffe's low match % is due to the fact that England generally sent under-strength teams to South Africa, India and the West Indies in those days so he (and most of England's very best players) subsequently missed quite a few Tests.

Last edited: