• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will end up with the most runs in test cricket? Ponting or Clarke?

Who will get the most test runs?

• Ricky Ponting

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • Michael Clarke

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Ponting, easy, Clarke needs almost 6000 more runs, he is 32 and he wont be playing past 35 given how injury prone he is, imo he will struggle to make 10,000

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Would not be surprised in the least if Pup retires should we regain the Ashes in Australia. Next Ashes is in 2016; long shot for his back to hold out till then. Bloke's on borrowed time and any surgery at this stage will end his career.

Steve Smith the obvious successor.

Ruckus

International Captain
yeah wont even get close. Would be an interesting hypothetical though assuming Clarke didn't have to retire early. Still think Ponting would just beat him though, although not by much.

Where do people think Clarke stands as a player compared to Ponting (arguments of longevity aside)?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Better against spin BY FAR. Also, has played well while carrying one of the worst teams in Aus history. Ponting didn't do so well once the big names left, did he?

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
yeah that's a given, although I think Ponting's weakness against spin was pretty overrated. Overall was still a pretty good player of spin.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah that's a given, although I think Ponting's weakness against spin was pretty overrated. Overall was still a pretty good player of spin.
Yeah, it mostly was just a weakness against Harbhajan/in India. Atherton's not automatically a poor player of fast bowling just because McGrath got him out so many times.

As for the question, as people have said, it'll pretty certainly Ponting due to Clarke's back issues.

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke won't get close, surely?

EDIT: Direct comparison on quality is interesting though. One feels that the massive voodoo-induced gap between his numbers at #4 and #5 will count pretty heavily against Clarke. On the other hand, Ponting never quite did what Clarke has done over the past two years which is single-handedly carry a fairly mediocre side.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
yeah it's hard, if not impossible, to tell what that means with Ponting though. His massive slump did pretty much coincide exactly with the adoption of a weaker team, but at the same time it was also towards the end of his career anyway, when form often wanes regardless of the context. I gotta say though, I think Clarke has shown mental aptitude and an ability to lead from the front that has surpassed Ponting.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Clarke has already said he will retire fairly young, I don't see him playing past the next WC or maybe the 2015 Ashes. Ponting easily.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Atherton's not automatically a poor player of fast bowling just because McGrath got him out so many times.
Nope. It was the fact that any ****er under the sun could square him up and get him giving the slips catching practise which made him a poor player.

As to the question in hand, Ponting will not only have a better record but should rightly be remembered as a vastly superior player. I'm not a fan of batsman in general, and not much of a fan of Ponting either, but I did enjoy watching him bat.

Flem274*

123/5
Better against spin BY FAR. Also, has played well while carrying one of the worst teams in Aus history. Ponting didn't do so well once the big names left, did he?
Clarke won't get close, surely?

EDIT: Direct comparison on quality is interesting though. One feels that the massive voodoo-induced gap between his numbers at #4 and #5 will count pretty heavily against Clarke. On the other hand, Ponting never quite did what Clarke has done over the past two years which is single-handedly carry a fairly mediocre side.
I'd say Ponting losing his touch was a major contribution to Australia becoming mediocre.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
When did Clarke say he wanted to retire early? Not questioning the statement but when he actually said it. Back issues aside, it'd be surprising to him retire early unless the test team had a reversal of fortunes. I can't see him abandoning ship unless forced too.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting should be remember the better player and I think their records will reflect that. Clarke's had a hell of a purple patch and scoring them all whilst slightly crocked and skippering takes massive balls. But in a team full of guns, Ponting was universally considered the gun, that for over 5 years and also with the captaincy. Everyone has their perspective on whether it's harder to score runs in a weak team vs a strong team but, if there is a difference, I don't think it should be considered decisive. Side-by-side, Ponting for me.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Ponting should be remember the better player and I think their records will reflect that. Clarke's had a hell of a purple patch and scoring them all whilst slightly crocked and skippering takes massive balls. But in a team full of guns, Ponting was universally considered the gun, that for over 5 years and also with the captaincy. Everyone has their perspective on whether it's harder to score runs in a weak team vs a strong team but, if there is a difference, I don't think it should be considered decisive. Side-by-side, Ponting for me.
Don't think there's any question as to what's harder viz weak/strong teams. Surrounded by as many jocks as Ponting was had to have helped...not to mention, his, shall we say, "ebullience" and all-conquering confidence seemed to steadily erode after they left. It can't be a pleasant experience to be the only true great in a side of below-par players.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ponting was by far the better player against pace bowling which is all that matters.

Ruckus

International Captain
I think 'far the better' is pushing it. His superiority on the pull/hook is the main difference. Both are well-rounded players against pace bowling though.

Ruckus

International Captain
I don't think arguments related to the batting position hold much value either. I think 3 was the optimal place for Ponting, and 5 for Clarke. If either switched I think they would fare worse at the new position. And that's just pretty reflective of their strengths as batsmen - Ponting stronger against pace, Clarke against spin.