• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

most under-rated cricketer

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A few picks (subject to change)...

Allrounder - Ridley Jacobs
Batsman - Damien Martyn
Bowler - Ntini

iamdavid

International Debutant
Damien Martyn
Daryl Tuffey
Nicky Boje
Ridley Jacobs
Parthiv Patel
Matthew Inness
Andre Adams
Damien Wright
Richard Montgomerie
Martin Saggers (more than any other on this list)
Martin Bicknell
Ajit Agarkar
Shiv Sunder Das
Dan Marsh
Dominic Thornely
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Doug Bollinger
Mal Loye
Stuart Law
(pretty much all of Tasmania's Pura Cup squad)
Michael Dighton* (see above)
Mike Hussey
his brother
Marcus North

Just note that Hussey's little brother Dave now averages more than him in all forms of cricket (over 50 in both forms).
Having a very good year , conveivable that they could both make the AUS A series in Autum.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Like best, worst, most-overrated, most in-form, most out-of-form and other things, it is impossible to make one differentation.
There are many who are about as equal as you can be.
david has the right idea. Like the attempt made by the PwC ratings, nothing like this can ever be true, Craig, because it's not possible to quantify such things.

krkode

State Captain
I personally think Dravid was underrated for the most part of his career. Now he's coming into the spot light though. Good for him. :)

That said, I also think players like Ramesh, Lehmann, and Gibbs are somewhat underrated.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Ntini
Noffke (by the selectors)
The Husseys
STEVE (Well he was earlier in the year)
Tuffey
Chopra

Langeveldt

Soutie
I heard this mentioned on SABC a while ago, and it struck me as being an excellent pick..

Mark Richardson

Never has a guy with such consistancy been mentioned so little.. I cant wait to see him bat next summer here.

**Honourable Mentions**

1. Gary Kirsten
2. Rahul Dravid
3. Nicky Boje
4. Heath Streak
5. Ray Price
6. Stewart Law
7. Graham Hick (never have so many FC runs been such a disappointment)
8. Andrew Caddick
9. Makhaya Ntini

iamdavid

International Debutant
A few I forgot to include in my first list-

Gary Kirsten
David Tebrugge
Mark Richardson
Mick Lewis
Moin Khan
Nayan Mongia
Mark Vermeulen
Tatenda Taibu*
Sean Ervine
Hannan Sarkar
Heath Streak

We should have a world under rated XI-
1.M.Richardson
2.S.S.Das
3.G.Kirsten
4.S.Chanderpaul
5.D.Martyn
6.R.Jacobs+
7.H.Streak*
8.N.Boje
9.D.Tuffey
10.M.Saggers
11.M.Inness

I was just looking at the scores from the last under 19's world cup , Tatenda Taibu seems to be a more than handy all rounder , he captained Zimbabwe & was player of the tournament , scoring 250 runs , however he was also one of the top bowlers in the tournament with 12 wickets :O

Apparently a very good off spinner.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
They haven't had a chance to prove themselves as Test class or otherwise, so how are they over-rated?
This is the under-rated thread mate ;)

Saggers has been the best bowler on the English county circuit for 3 years running , he is decently accurate & is able to swing the ball in all conditions , yet he has only got 1 test cap & most people seem to rate him below Harmison , etc

Inness in much the same situation , yet for some reason he's below Williams in the pecking order:!(

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Under-rated... over-rated... the same.

The essence of my point remains as it applies to both scenarios.

Craig

World Traveller
I am interested that Damien martyn makes the list. He is very elegent and a good timer.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
iamdavid said:
I was just looking at the scores from the last under 19's world cup , Tatenda Taibu seems to be a more than handy all rounder , he captained Zimbabwe & was player of the tournament , scoring 250 runs , however he was also one of the top bowlers in the tournament with 12 wickets :O

Oh more likely, goes to show how low the standards are in the U19 WC, and how it cannot be used as a good guide for future success of sides.

For me, I think any player who has represented his side at either Test or ODI's should be barred from that U19 World Cup.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tatenda Taibu seems to be a more than handy all rounder , he captained Zimbabwe & was player of the tournament , scoring 250 runs , however he was also one of the top bowlers in the tournament with 12 wickets :O

He's a swing bowler, as far as I was aware, anyway.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Under-rated: Vinod Kambli.
Made 4 centuries in his first 7 tests, including 2 double-tons; FC average >60, Test avg. >54.
Apparently dropped after a run of poor form (no fifties in 7 tests), but surely someone who can score double-centuries at test level deserves more of a run than, say, Chopra?
I suspect there was another reason for him being dropped which i don't know about, but seems as though he deserved a long test career.