• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current World's Best Player of Spin?

Best player of spin currently?

• Michael Clarke

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Kane Williamson

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Kumar Sagakarra

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Mahela Jayawardene

• Cheteshwar Pujara

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Virat Kohli

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

• Jacques Kallis

• Hashim Amla

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • AB De Villiers

• Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Kevin Pietersen

• Ian Bell

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Misbah Ul Haq

• Total voters

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
Many of the English commentators are currently declaring Michael Clarke the best player of spin bowling in the world today. Agree or disagree?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Currently the best player of spin in Sehwag who will retain at atleast he's 45 unless another Indian comes through. Clarke, Kohli, Mahela, Dilshan, Pietersen are some names I could name top of my head. Gambhir and Dhoni are quite good at it. If PJ learns to respect spinners he will be one heck of a player of spin as well.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I would say Mahela but he doesn't use his feet enough IMO, seen him trapped on the crease a few times too many. Pujara takes it for mine, he played beautifully in India against some good spinners and constantly made big scores.

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
wrt Tendulkar, I feel his ability to play against spin has deteriorated more than his ability to play pace bowling. Since WC 2011, he has been troubled by Bishoo, Lyon, Michael Clarke, Steve Smith, and especially Panesar. Whilst in the same games Pujara has generally played the same bowlers with ease.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess people just see him as a better player of pace. Not sure if its even true.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd have to say Pujara, Clarke is overrated in relation to playing spin bowling.

TumTum

Banned
Technique wise Clarke is definitely the best against spin, but other players like Sehwag, Sanga, Amla are better performance wise.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Technique wise Clarke is definitely the best against spin, but other players like Sehwag, Sanga, Amla are better performance wise.

This is a great post.

Clarke looks the goods but often gets over ambitious and gets himself out against spin. So what matters most - how good you look or how many runs you get. Sanga has a no fuss no frills approach to playing spin. But he is effective. Jeetan Patel has claimed Clarke's wicket when Clarke tried to smoke him for 6. Clarke averages 42 against pace and 48 against spin. Which is less than Sanga's spin average.

TumTum

Banned
This is a great post.

Clarke looks the goods but often gets over ambitious and gets himself out against spin. So what matters most - how good you look or how many runs you get. Sanga has a no fuss no frills approach to playing spin. But he is effective. Jeetan Patel has claimed Clarke's wicket when Clarke tried to smoke him for 6. Clarke averages 42 against pace and 48 against spin. Which is less than Sanga's spin average.
Well the thing is, if you want to teach a youngster how to play spin, will you show them Sehwag slogging spinners out the park or Amla stone walling them?

I think both technique (how good you look) and performance needs to be factored in the equation.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanga isn't that great against spin IMO, Jayawardene is better, especially when the pitches are really turning.

Spark

Global Moderator
This is a great post.

...how does this work when his overall average is 52? does he average 70 against "other"?

Mahela > Kumar against spin ftr. EDIT: Beaten