• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Craig Ervine quit Zimbabwean cricket moved to Ireland.

brockley

International Captain
Craig Irvine turns back on Zimbabwe to play for Ireland.
Ervine, the former Zimbabwe Test player, has just recently relinquished any aspirations of playing again for the country of his birth and declared himself for Ireland. With National Coach Phil Simmons watching he could not have chosen a better stage to show his class.
Things must be bad in Zimbabwe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chook Herron

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think it's to secure his future after cricket more than anything. That's the problem with Zimbabwe. As soon as they develop a decent player, they move on to seek a better life e.g Gary Ballance, both Ervines, Anthony Ireland to a lesser extent. Plus there are a lot more at the junior level. Malcolm Lake went to South Africa, Ryan Burl to England and Kyle Bowie to Australia.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How come players leaving for different countries is purely a Zimbabwean phenomenon?

Race?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, no South Africans ever leave the Republic to play elsewhere, do they? Odd.

Can't recall any Aussie cricketers plying their trade overseas either. :whistling

Chook Herron

School Boy/Girl Captain
For Zimbabwe it's basically economical. I'd say they would be happy to stay if they got paid a fair wage and conditions within the country were better. With Mugabe winning the elections again, I can see a few more leaving yet.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, no South Africans ever leave the Republic to play elsewhere, do they? Odd.

Can't recall any Aussie cricketers plying their trade overseas either. :whistling
These guys are regulars though or are close to it....

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It gives me no pleasure to say it, but even if our press exaggerates what life is like in Zimbabwe by 100% who the **** would want to live there anyway if they had the choice?