• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best young player in the world

Who is the best young player in the world?

• Greame Smith

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • Michel Clarke

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Parthiv Patel

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Irfan Pathan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yasir Hammed

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Rikki Clarke (I'm not kidding)

• James Anderson

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Fidel Edwards

• Jermaine Lawson

• Jeromine Taylor

• Kaushal Lokuarachichi

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters

iamdavid

International Debutant
Well as far as results so far go there is no real competition for Smith , he's established himself as one of the better openers in the world (albeit mainly due to the English & West Indian attacks inability to exploit his weakness) and captains his country well at such a young age.

Edwards & Hameed have had great starts to their carears as have Clarke(the good one :P) & Anderson in the ODI form of the game.

So Smith ATM , but I reckon Hameed , Parthiv Patel & Michael Clarke have the potential to be up there with him in the years to come.

Last edited:

krkode

State Captain
Yeah, I too would think there's little competition for Smith. He's already proved he can fire some big shots.

I wonder if he can keep on going, though...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Certainly Anderson for me in the OD form of the game. In tests, id say Smith, but its close:)

viewnut

Cricket Spectator
just from looking at the current australia-india test series, both patel and paftan look to have the goods to crack it at top level. paftan brings back many memories of wasim akram with his action and looks, and also has that ability to swing ball back into right-handers down-pat (maybe nathan bracken should talk to him). patel's technique is also solid. his keeping needs a bit of fine tuning, but hes come along way since his debut against the poms last year. his batting is also very solid for one so young, and it can only improve from here. it takes guts to come out at the age of 17/18 and not only keep to 2 of the worlds best spinners in kumble and harbharjan, but also to bat in the fashion he does, and he is now starting to play shots worthy of test cricket. id hate to be bowling to him in the under 19's world cup next year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because he's been a dismal failure in ODIs, even while he's had a very good start to his Test-career?
I agree, however, that he's better than some named in this poll.

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
Because he's been a dismal failure in ODIs, even while he's had a very good start to his Test-career?
I agree, however, that he's better than some named in this poll.
Because I forgot to add him, as I did with Jacques Rudolph.

I have seen some footage of Lokuarachichi, he looks like a a wristie who bowls flat spin and wont turn it a lot.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Craig said:
Because I forgot to add him, as I did with Jacques Rudolph.

I have seen some footage of Lokuarachichi, he looks like a a wristie who bowls flat spin and wont turn it a lot.
He's just like a Sri Lankan version of Cameron White , bowls flat leggies which bounce & occasionally skid but as you point out he wont really turn it much , also a developing batsman (like White) & decent feildsman.

Very similar bowler to Anil Kumble & thus I expect his record will be very similar outside the subcontinent.