• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best young player in the world

Who is the best young player in the world?

• Greame Smith

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • Michel Clarke

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Parthiv Patel

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Irfan Pathan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yasir Hammed

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Rikki Clarke (I'm not kidding)

• James Anderson

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Fidel Edwards

• Jermaine Lawson

• Jeromine Taylor

• Kaushal Lokuarachichi

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
Sir Len Hutton used to say young aspiring batsmen should learn to dance to improve their footwork when batting. I think Greame Smith should enroll in some dancing classes.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Sir Len Hutton used to say young aspiring batsmen should learn to dance to improve their footwork when batting. I think Greame Smith should enroll in some dancing classes.
I would love to go and watch that, just for the comedy value!!!!!

Bazza

International 12th Man
Smith for results and Clarke for potential I reckon.

Hameed has done alright but hasn't played many games except NZ so too early to tell - Umar is a quality test batsman and maybe deserves more of a chance in ODIs but might not get them!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Graeme Smith for sure, he captains his country and averages around 40 with the bat in ODIs and 55 in Tests!

Hameed is looking a very fine player, Anderson has a fine ODI record and I'm sure will come through this bad patch, Clarke just hasn't played enough International Cricket to get anywhere near winning. I'm also looking out for Shabbir Ahmed, who looks a very solid seamer for Pakistan, although I'm not sure of his age.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shabbir made his debut in 1999\2000. Don't know how old he was then (not OOTQ for Pakistan to pick 17-year-olds:rolleyes: ). Conceded three leg-side five-wides and took a wicket in his first over. Ended with 3 for 52 off 10. Didn't think much when I saw his recall, have since looked at his domestic record and revised ideas.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
For me Graeme Smith. I know the English bowlers are not the best but his double 100s were amazing.

Runner-Up

Partiv Patel

3rd

James Anderson

ProteasFan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm looking at the list and I only recognise a few names ( smith, clarke, pathan, Edwards, Anderson); what happened to the rest of these talented youngsters?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
In 2003 I would have voted Smith. It would probably still be the right choice since he was better than Clarke when they were both young :o)

Himannv

International Coach
I would have probably gone with Yasir Hameed, Anderson or Smith back then. I've never really thought highly of Lokuarachichi so I'm surprised to see him on the list.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't watch cricket at all back then. Probably knew about 10 players names in all.

How young does one have to be to get a shot at this atm? Would vote for Pujara if <25 is the requirement, or Pattinson if we go younger.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd be lucky to name any of them at that age. Although I took an interest in cricket at a young age I only really started to pay real attention by 13/14.