• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Feature - A Short History of Walking

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Interesting article.

In the extensive reading on the history of the game I have done it is interesting that walking, or batsmen not waiting for the umpire to decide on 'boderline' catches, is not mentioned in reports, accounts or memoirs before the post WW2 period.

One notable player of the 20s/30s period reckoned that the amateurs never walked and if a paid player did they would certainly face the wrath of their captain and, depending on the importance of the player, might well be dropped for the following game. This was also the case before then.

I suspect that the social and economic pressures post WW2, which eventually meant the Gentleman and Players idea became untenable, caused the idea of 'walking' to appear. It gave the 'gentleman' a supposed superiority which kept them relevant.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I walked to a bat pad when I was 18 because I was 95% sure I had hit it. The captain was livid with me and told me he would drop me if I ever walked again precisely because on the spur of the moment you can be influenced by the pressure of the appeal he claimed. 95% sure is not good enough.