• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current English County Cricket Draft

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Controversial one but I will go with James Taylor, averages 48 in CC, 50 in 40 over cricket with a SR of 82 and 36 in T20 with a SR of 115. I toyed with the idea of Bairstow but his 40 over career has been very unimpressive thus far. Morgan/Bopara not good enough CC batters for me. I don't see any value for bowlers at this point.
Definitely fine imo. Scores loads of runs for fun in each format in county cricket, fields well, ever improving. Now that the best English players are out of the way the decisions are much more subjective.

Don't really know standard rules for drafts but isn't naming of the undrafted a no no.TBH I'm no regular drafter so I've got no idea but I should have listed it in the original rules

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Think it's more important later in the draft, when it really gets to the deep end of cricket knowledge. Everyone knows who the alternatives to James Taylor are.

I'm going to go with another pick that could be controversial and go for Chris Woakes. Not really good enough to be a test cricketer yet, but he's a proven champion in county cricket and is always up there for MVP in division one of the Championship. Gives me a number 7 batsman capable of scoring centuries, which also gives me the option of five bowlers, and an opening bowler capable of bowling sustained tight spells. Not quite as good in the shorter formats, but again means I don't really have to worry about an all-rounder in the strongest XI anymore.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Think it's more important later in the draft, when it really gets to the deep end of cricket knowledge. Everyone knows who the alternatives to James Taylor are.

I'm going to go with another pick that could be controversial and go for Chris Woakes. Not really good enough to be a test cricketer yet, but he's a proven champion in county cricket and is always up there for MVP in division one of the Championship. Gives me a number 7 batsman capable of scoring centuries, which also gives me the option of five bowlers, and an opening bowler capable of bowling sustained tight spells. Not quite as good in the shorter formats, but again means I don't really have to worry about an all-rounder in the strongest XI anymore.
Gah, considered going with him over Onions but thought he'd last. Damn.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Controversial one but I will go with James Taylor, averages 48 in CC, 50 in 40 over cricket with a SR of 82 and 36 in T20 with a SR of 115. I toyed with the idea of Bairstow but his 40 over career has been very unimpressive thus far. Morgan/Bopara not good enough CC batters for me. I don't see any value for bowlers at this point.
I reckon JB is more value from the outset, but only because he can keep wicket.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chris Tremlett . For all the drawbacks of when it comes to fitness still easily the best bowler remaining.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
g00fers has a British wife that should be enough to class him as a local imo

theegyptian

g00fers has a British wife that should be enough to class him as a local imo
yes i saw that and the fact he has quit australian cricket. I wasn't sure but I think he is still registered as an overseas player with Sussex although I could be proven wrong.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Are we doing a new order for each odd numbered round, or just the same throughout? If the latter Pothas has a second pick.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Nick Compton - Has scored mountains of runs in division one the last few years. Can open or bat three.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Round One

Pothas - James Anderson
Cabinet96 - Kevin Pietersen
91Jmay - Alastair Cook
Marcuss - Graeme Swann
theegyptian - Jonathan Trott
andyzaltzhair - Stuart Broad
Howe_zat - Matt Prior
Dan - Joe Root

Round Two

Dan - Graham Onions
Howe_zat - Tim Bresnan
andyzaltzhair - Monty Panesar
theegyptian - Steven Finn
Marcuss - Ian Bell
91Jmay - James Taylor
Cabinet96 - Chris Woakes
Pothas - Chris Tremlett

Round Three

Pothas - Marcus Trescothick
Cabinet96 - Nick Compton
91Jmay
Marcuss
theegyptian
andyzaltzhair
Howe_zat
Dan

91Jmay

International Coach
Not sure there are any bowlers I rate left at the moment so going to go for Sam Robson to open with Cooky. Top Division 1 run scorer this year, and a guy who gets hundreds.

theegyptian

Last minute change of heart but I think I'm gonna go with Eoin Morgan. Outstanding in the shorter formats, good fielder and his four day game will come on leaps and bounds by having a full season of it!

Hope his current drop in form is only temporarily. Although pretty worrying that all 3 of my guys (Trott, Finn, Morgan) seem to be on the decline.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Tim Murtagh finished good last season and standing with great figures this time around too. A valuable player to have in the team though not sure if this is a right choice at this time