Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Current English County Cricket Draft

I'm always suspicious of shops that sell bait.

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Monty Panesar
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.

Steven Finn - Plays all 3 formats for England. Has been very good in ODI and T20 until very recently and even with his erratic form still manages to average less than 30 in test cricket. Good to have a strike bowler for the flat wickets

Ian Bell as the last real class tri-format batsman

Controversial one but I will go with James Taylor, averages 48 in CC, 50 in 40 over cricket with a SR of 82 and 36 in T20 with a SR of 115. I toyed with the idea of Bairstow but his 40 over career has been very unimpressive thus far. Morgan/Bopara not good enough CC batters for me. I don't see any value for bowlers at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Controversial one but I will go with James Taylor, averages 48 in CC, 50 in 40 over cricket with a SR of 82 and 36 in T20 with a SR of 115. I toyed with the idea of Bairstow but his 40 over career has been very unimpressive thus far. Morgan/Bopara not good enough CC batters for me. I don't see any value for bowlers at this point.
    Definitely fine imo. Scores loads of runs for fun in each format in county cricket, fields well, ever improving. Now that the best English players are out of the way the decisions are much more subjective.

Don't really know standard rules for drafts but isn't naming of the undrafted a no no.TBH I'm no regular drafter so I've got no idea but I should have listed it in the original rules
    Last edited by theegyptian; 28-07-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Think it's more important later in the draft, when it really gets to the deep end of cricket knowledge. Everyone knows who the alternatives to James Taylor are.

I'm going to go with another pick that could be controversial and go for Chris Woakes. Not really good enough to be a test cricketer yet, but he's a proven champion in county cricket and is always up there for MVP in division one of the Championship. Gives me a number 7 batsman capable of scoring centuries, which also gives me the option of five bowlers, and an opening bowler capable of bowling sustained tight spells. Not quite as good in the shorter formats, but again means I don't really have to worry about an all-rounder in the strongest XI anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Think it's more important later in the draft, when it really gets to the deep end of cricket knowledge. Everyone knows who the alternatives to James Taylor are.

I'm going to go with another pick that could be controversial and go for Chris Woakes. Not really good enough to be a test cricketer yet, but he's a proven champion in county cricket and is always up there for MVP in division one of the Championship. Gives me a number 7 batsman capable of scoring centuries, which also gives me the option of five bowlers, and an opening bowler capable of bowling sustained tight spells. Not quite as good in the shorter formats, but again means I don't really have to worry about an all-rounder in the strongest XI anymore.
    Gah, considered going with him over Onions but thought he'd last. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    I reckon JB is more value from the outset, but only because he can keep wicket.

Chris Tremlett . For all the drawbacks of when it comes to fitness still easily the best bowler remaining.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Chris Tremlett . For all the drawbacks of when it comes to fitness still easily the best bowler remaining.
    g00fers ~ NASTY BLOW To The Ribs (2012 S.Shield Final) - YouTube
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Can't be selected yet as he is an overseas player at Sussex afaik.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    g00fers has a British wife that should be enough to class him as a local imo

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    g00fers has a British wife that should be enough to class him as a local imo
    yes i saw that and the fact he has quit australian cricket. I wasn't sure but I think he is still registered as an overseas player with Sussex although I could be proven wrong.

I didn't realise about naming undrafted players, sorry!

MAGOFFIN: Steve signs on as Overseas player for Sussex

Yeah overseas.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information