• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current English County Cricket Draft

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Misson Statement - To compile a squad to compete over the 3 formats (4 day, 40 over, 20 over) of a hypothetical English county season where no international cricket is played (i.e. Full England player availability) based on current players.

Rules

6 or 8 Participants each draft a squad of 16 English domestic qualified players + 2 overseas players drafted in final two rounds
Snake Draft i.e. abc.. cba
Player selection based on current day but short term injuries or form not a consideration
12 hour time limit per selection
Eligibility of English domestic qualified players = anyone currently playing in county cricket who isn't classified as an overseas player
Eligibility of Overseas Players = Don't have to have played county cricket this season or ever( i.e. best players in the world - assume no international cricket, ipl)
(e.g. For Gloucestershire Hamish Marshall, Roderick, Fuller are classified as domestic qualified players and can be selected in your 16. Klinger and Christian are classified as overseas players and can not be included in your 16 but can be included as overseas players)
Assume Overseas player use as in current domestic cricket. 1 Overseas allowed in 4 day and 40 over, 2 allowed in 20 over.
You will need a decent grasp of the players in English domestic cricket or at least the ability to look at cricinfo
Maybe a brief sentence on each player and the reasons selected and an assesment at the end of the qualities of the squad assembled.
Vote at end for the best squad/ strongest teams for the competitions

Entries so far:

Dan
Cabinet96
91Jmay
theegyptian

Looking for 2 or 4 more entries

Any suggestions, clarifications or alterations are welcomed. By no means an expert on drafts so any advice is welcome.

theegyptian

Alright that is 8.

Dan, Cabinet96, 91Jmay, theegyptian, Pothas, Marcuss, AndyZaltzhair, Howe_zat

Random draft order gives us

Pothas
Cabinet96
91Jmay
Marcuss
theegyptian
andyzaltzhair
Howe_zat
Dan

So draft starts when Pothas makes his first pick. 24 hour time limit for this first weekend as people do stuff on the weekend followed by 12 hour limit during the week.

Hope the OP is clear. First 16 rounds are selecting English domestic qualified players + final 2 rounds where Overseas players are selected. The objective being to pick a balanced squad to compete in the three competitions. Lets see how this goes.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Kevin Pietersen

Well known for his ability to smash county attacks to all parts. His fast scoring could be crucial in getting results in four day games, and he'll also be a major asset in limited overs cricket as well of course.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Alastair Cook,

Gives me my captain and a run machine to open with. Not much justification required.

theegyptian

Jonathan Trott

Will pile up the runs for fun over all the formats and never get injured. Swann in truth was the guy I was hoping to fall for given the lack of spin options in county cricket especially over the 3 formats.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Joe Root - imperious first class form that has translated to Test success; good across all formats of the game, adds an extra bowling option.
Graham Onions - domestic colossus, and we're playing County Cricket here, not Test matches.

theegyptian

Steven Finn - Plays all 3 formats for England. Has been very good in ODI and T20 until very recently and even with his erratic form still manages to average less than 30 in test cricket. Good to have a strike bowler for the flat wickets

91Jmay

International Coach
Controversial one but I will go with James Taylor, averages 48 in CC, 50 in 40 over cricket with a SR of 82 and 36 in T20 with a SR of 115. I toyed with the idea of Bairstow but his 40 over career has been very unimpressive thus far. Morgan/Bopara not good enough CC batters for me. I don't see any value for bowlers at this point.