• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current English County Cricket Draft

91Jmay

International Coach
Think that has been 12 hours:

Will go a bit left field and take a gamble:
Kyle Jarvis, Lancashire. Couple of test 5fers, looks to have an action/bowling style that will suit CC.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, its because people have made there choices in certain positions and don't need the overload. Read is a very good pick, but wicketkeeper is a very strong position.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, there's a whole host of seamers left. Happy with Read, not sure there's another keeper who is (a) as good in general (b) useful in all 3 formats.

Are there absolutely no restrictions on the overseas round?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Think that has been 12 hours:

Will go a bit left field and take a gamble:
Kyle Jarvis, Lancashire. Couple of test 5fers, looks to have an action/bowling style that will suit CC.
Sorry Jmay but pick another instead of Jarvis. Wasn't contracted to any county at the start of the draft.

theegyptian

Phil Mustard - Combative if technically limited keeper batsman. Can offer a bit of firepower to my T20/40 over teams

FC Lumb, Jaques, Madsen, Trott, Morgan, Stokes, Mustard, Wright, Kerrigan, Finn, Richardson (ugh that tail is long - I don;t like this team) Reserves - Stevens, Batty, Topley, Thomas
40 over Lumb, Mustard, Trott, Stokes, Morgan, Stevens,......,Batty, Thomas, Wright, Finn,
20 over Lumb, Mustard, Jaques, Stevens, Morgan, Stokes, Batty, Thomas, Finn, Topley, Wright (and ugh again can't quite get around how I'm gonna figure out the batting orders/ balance for the T20 and 40 over game)

theegyptian

Yeah, there's a whole host of seamers left. Happy with Read, not sure there's another keeper who is (a) as good in general (b) useful in all 3 formats.

Are there absolutely no restrictions on the overseas round?
Yes first round you can pick anyone (who hasn't been selected) to be your main overseas player to play in all 3 formats over the season. Doesn't have to have played county cricket this season or ever.
Second Overseas round is less significant as the player is only being selected for the T20 competition. Can pick from anywhere - but obviously not selected before.

Not sure I should have incorporated the overseas round (or at least the second t20 round) but it's too late now. MIght have been better just keeping it domestic based.

91Jmay

International Coach
Nah its no problem I knew it was always going to be a big chance with Jarvis. Worth the gamble though, but I'm more than happy with Hoddy there.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So I've left Howe with a couple of hours to fix his pick up, but I'm grabbing my last 2 players now. Had a shortlist of 6, but hopefully I'm making the right call.

Will Gidman

Last pick is a bit tougher, had a shortlist of 4 guys. In the end it's a heart over head pick - going for the guy who I reckon has the higher ceiling despite every statistical measure telling me he's not as good as the other contender.

Zafar Ansari

Gidman provides a solid bowling all-rounder option to fill the void should one of my top quicks go down with injury. He's surplus to requirements in T20, but is a useful List A option.
Ansari is my flexible player to take up the last slot - he can open the batting in FC cricket and blunt the new ball, chip in with handy orthodox spin and play some dashing cameos in T20 cricket. But List A cricket is his specialty, and I reckon he deserves a place in the full-strength XI.

FC XI
LA XIT20 XI
1. V Chopra1. V Chopra1. Z Ansari
2. J Root2. L Wright2. L Wright
3. S Croft3. S Croft3. S Croft
4. R Bopara4. J Root4. J Root
5. S Thakor5. R Bopara5. R Bopara
6. L Wright6. J Buttler +6. J Buttler +
7. J Buttler +7. Z Ansari7. A Mahmood
8. W Beer8. A Mahmood8. R Sidebottom
9. R Sidebottom9. R Sidebottom9. S Parry
10. G Onions10. G Onions10. M Davies
11. M Davies11. S Parry11. Azharullah
W GidmanM DaviesW Beer
S ParryS ThakorG Onions
Z AnsariW GidmanS Thakor
AzharullahAzharullahV Chopra
A MahmoodW BeerW Gidman

Flexibility is probably my biggest strength; in the T20 and List A cricket everyone (bar Varun Chopra and Jos Buttler) can bowl some overs. It means, if need be, I can drop one of the bowlers to shore up the batting. Only concern is that the FC and T20 tails are a little long, but Gidman in reserve means that can be fixed easily enough.

Last edited:

theegyptian

Yay a Gloucestershire player selected finally. Rounds and rounds after every other county had been represented.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surprised it took this long for Gidman to go tbf. Not rating that FC side all too highly it must be said.