• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen: 50-26

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Imo Chappell is the 2nd best Aussie bat of all time, will be interesting to see where this study ranks the other top aussies (Chappell, Border, Waugh, Ponting).

Taylor does make that 80's group, with ~1200 runs @ 64. As does Dean Jones.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Imo Chappell is the 2nd best Aussie bat of all time, will be interesting to see where this study ranks the other top aussies (Chappell, Border, Waugh, Ponting).
I think Neil Harvey could end up pretty high too - I reckon his great/significant innings count will be substantial.

watson

Banned
Interested to see who is ranked higher out if the two great Australian left-handers - Harvey and Border.

Speaking of left-handers - it looks as though Frank Woolley missed the cut which is a shame.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Which other Aussies remain? We've mentioned Bradman (Actually we didn't, but its implied) Chappell, Border, Ponting, Waugh and Harvey and I think Simpson, Clarke, Gilchrist, Hayden. Although some of them like Simpson and Gilchrist must be quite soon if they are actually going to make it at all.

DoG is such a gun, you should seriously consider taking this work to a publisher.

How easy is it for you to update current players just out of interest? So with Clarke, Cook and KP playing the 2 Tests since and performing lower than their ranking suggests, would it take much time to move them again at the completion of the series?

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Do you think current players are likely to drop as they go through the typical has-been period before retirement, or is it more of a PEWS-ian "can only add to what they've achieved already" sort of system?

watson

Banned
'The Top 100 Test Batsman' would make a nice addition to cricket literature.

Including a brief history of each player, and the full scorecard of some of the greater 'Great Innings' would make it even better IMO.

uvelocity

International Coach
fred has the contact details of every cricket publisher. he just needs to look inside the covers of all his b00ks

Days of Grace

International Captain
Two more great opening batsmen who were still giving outstanding service to their countries into their 40s.

46. Graham Gooch (England) (1975-1995)

Career Average: 42.58
Adjusted career average: 43.23
Adjusted away average: 39.75
Adjusted top-opposition average: 43.04
Top Tier centuries: 9 (rank 3=)
Second tier centuries: 2
Third tier centuries: 6
Significant innings: 34
Significant innings per match: 0.29

Great innings: 4
5th Test: West Indies v England at Kingston, Apr 10-15, 1981 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 12.87
1st Test: England v New Zealand at Lord's, Jul 24-29, 1986 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 12.71
1st Test: England v India at Lord's, Jul 26-31, 1990 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 14.26
1st Test: England v West Indies at Leeds, Jun 6-10, 1991 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 25.02

Innings worth average: 3.10

25 Test peak adjusted average: 64.11 (1990-1992)
50 Test peak adjusted average: 53.73 (1986-1994)

Quality Points: 510
Career Points: 108
Peak Points: 133
TOTAL POINTS: 752

45. Bobby Simpson (Australia) (1957-1978)

Career Average: 46.81
Adjusted career average: 47.19
Adjusted away average: 44.00
Adjusted top-opposition average: 47.30
Top Tier centuries: 2
Second tier centuries: 4
Third tier centuries: 4
Significant innings: 22
Significant innings per match: 0.35

Great innings: 3
4th Test: England v Australia at Manchester, Jul 23-28, 1964 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 12.70
4th Test: Australia v England at Adelaide, Jan 28-Feb 1, 1966 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 13.90
2nd Test: Australia v India at Perth, Dec 16-21, 1977 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 14.84

Innings worth average: 2.90

25 Test peak adjusted average: 64.22 (1964-1977)
50 Test peak adjusted average: 51.82 (1960-1978)

Quality Points: 542
Career Points: 78
Peak Points: 133
TOTAL POINTS: 752

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
missed out the sig in per match stat for gooch.

didn't realise simpson played for 21 years, long career!

Days of Grace

International Captain
missed out the sig in per match stat for gooch.

didn't realise simpson played for 21 years, long career!
Thanks for the heads up.

Although Simpson did play for 21 years, he only played in 62 of the 148 matches that Australia played in that time.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
indeed, at 41 and 10 months, is that the oldest great innings? hobbs obv a contender

Days of Grace

International Captain
indeed, at 41 and 10 months, is that the oldest great innings? hobbs obv a contender
Great question! I reckon it is. I just checked Hobbs, and he didn't have a great innings at that age, so I can't think of anyone else. Charlie Macartney celebrated his 40th birthday in the 1926 test at Lord's where he hit 133*. That's the closest I can find.