• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen: 50-26

chasingthedon

International Regular
Very much enjoying this Steve, but am I wrong in thinking the 25 Test average heavily favours modern players? For example, Walcott's covers 7 years, Hayden's just 2. How much does that contribute to the total?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
So - assuming the remaining players can be predicted fairly confidently - that leaves us with a top 25 consisting of six Australians, six West Indians, five Englishmen, three Indians, two South Africans, two Pakistanis and a Sri Lankan. Seven Test playing nations represented, which is good to see, and given the list so far it's a fair bet that the order of the final 25 will throw up a few surprises too.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Who's your second South African? May be harsh on Richards but when people rate him they do so despite his Test career rather than because of it.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pollock to lose out on career points you would have though.

Tendulkar and Lara to be 2nd and 3rd I am going to guess.

Be intersting to see where Barrington ends up, could be right up there.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I expect Harvey to be the next player up, Although with Pollock and Headley I haven't a clue where they will end up, given their limited number of Tests.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I expect Harvey to be the next player up, Although with Pollock and Headley I haven't a clue where they will end up, given their limited number of Tests.
I am expecting Pollock to end up higher than Headley. Pollock had 3 great innings in DoG's list of great knocks in that short career.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
If I had to guess, I'd go with Chanderpaul or Weekes up next. I'd personally have Weekes higher than 24 or 25 but Worrell and Walcott were both lower than I would have chosen or expected, so I fear Sir Everton might suffer the same fate.

I think Headley could be top 10 - without knowing the ins and outs of DoG's calculations, I imagine Headley's "innings worth" score to be very high indeed.

Just went through the whole list and loved it. Really like the formula you've used. Seems a good attempt to quantify greatness.
The fact that you placed a cap on career points makes me quite confident that Lara will be rated higher than Sachin. His innings worth would be much higher I'm guessing
I'm gonna call Rahul Dravid as top five. Adusted away average to get him in.
Would love it to happen, but his top tier centuries count might not be high enough considering he only scored a couple each against SA and Australia.
I bet Greg Chappell makes the top 10. Has magnificent stats and doesn't get enough credit. I think he'll end up higher than Sir Viv

smash84

The Tiger King
I think his 300 was against Kiwis and not Bongs.
sorry.....my bad....totally mixed up the two.......

I reckon Miandad to show up next and I reckon Steve Waugh and Allan Border to also come in the next 10 (in case I have missed them already, cbf looking up the list again)

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Harvey and Weekes will be up shortly. I'm gonna say Headley will end up ahead of Pollock, though its hard to know where they'll end up. Headley scored 10 centuries in just 22 matches, which is just astounding. Of those to play 10 matches, only Jack Russell (5 in 10) and Bradman (29 in 52) have a better ratio of centuries per match.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
If I had to guess, I'd go with Chanderpaul or Weekes up next. I'd personally have Weekes higher than 24 or 25 but Worrell and Walcott were both lower than I would have chosen or expected, so I fear Sir Everton might suffer the same fate.

I think Headley could be top 10 - without knowing the ins and outs of DoG's calculations, I imagine Headley's "innings worth" score to be very high indeed.
What does "innings worth average" mean btw? Is it the number of innings for before the batsman scores his average or higher?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Don't even see how his first innings counts as a great innings either. To me it's like taking a 3-fer when the side gets 5/700.
Yeah I think DoG's pitch adjustments goes too far at times. Sometimes all batsmen decide to go walkabout in the same innings.

bagapath

International Captain
As the only two remaining batters good enough to be in th top 25 with sub-50 averages, Harvey and Inzy are likely to appear soon.

99+ Bradman
60+ Headley, Sutcliffe, Pollock
55+ Kallis, Sangakara, Hobbs, Hutton, Hammond, Barrington, Sobers, Weekes
50+ Lara, Tendulkar, Chappell, Chanderpaul, Waugh, Ponting, Border, Gavaskar, Richards, Dravid, Miandad
48+ Inzaman, Harvey

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Given how the system is, my Top 5 prediction is the following-
1. Bradman
2. Sobers
3. Hobbs
4. Viv
5. Headley

Last edited: