• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen: 50-26

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I've often heard the opposite, that Walcott was considered by many to be the greatest of the three Ws - he took longer than the other two to really get going at Test level (possibly due to his batting being affected by 'keeping early in his career), but he was phenomenal once the runs started flowing. CLR James refers to him assuming "an unrivalled supremacy" by the mid-50s, and Tom Graveney - the great English batsman who saw all the Ws close at hand - ranked him the best of the three. I believe that some of our West Indian contingent on CW are of the same opinion.

Either way, a wonderful player - and in a way it's disappointing that so many of his best innings didn't come in victories. Certainly, his performances against an excellent Australian attack at home in 1955 - 827 runs with five centures, including tons in each innings of a match twice - are unfortunate to be marked down because of his team's 3-0 series defeat.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm probably in the minority that's happy to see MoYo in the top 30 and above Younis and Clarke

smash84

The Tiger King
yep, he was definitely better than YK. Had he not dabbled too much into team and board politics he might have ended up being better than Inzy. Not to be

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Speaking of Inzy, it will be interesting to see how high he ends up. This study seems to give considerable weight (justifiably so) to performances which led to victories, and his average in Pakistan wins was ridiculously good.

Days of Grace

International Captain
...and to innings in back to the wall situations which earned their team an honourable draw.

Basically, my system punishes those who got a large amount of runs against weak opposition and in high scoring draws.

smash84

The Tiger King
Speaking of Inzy, it will be interesting to see how high he ends up. This study seems to give considerable weight (justifiably so) to performances which led to victories, and his average in Pakistan wins was ridiculously good.
...and to innings in back to the wall situations which earned their team an honourable draw.

Basically, my system punishes those who got a large amount of runs against weak opposition and in high scoring draws.
yeah I think Inzy was 2nd after Bradman in some crazy statistic like average in wins IIRC. I could be wrong. I will never ever forget Inzy's triple century precisely because it was against against Bangladesh AND Pakistan barely scraped through by 1 wicket. Would have been SOOO friggin embarrassing. I wonder how that will show up in your system DoG? Because he scored a ton of runs that led to a win BUT against a very weak opposition

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah I think Inzy was 2nd after Bradman in some crazy statistic like average in wins IIRC. I could be wrong. I will never ever forget Inzy's triple century precisely because it was against against Bangladesh AND Pakistan barely scraped through by 1 wicket. Would have been SOOO friggin embarrassing. I wonder how that will show up in your system DoG? Because he scored a ton of runs that led to a win BUT against a very weak opposition

Yep, averaged 78 in wins. Of the players left, Gavaskar is the standout, averaging just 44, with just 6 centuries in wins. Headley ~95, Pollock and Flower around 84, and Walcott with 79, all with small sample sizes though.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
MoYo clearly helped by his crazy peak. Does he have the highest peak points so far? (MoYo tops the group top 50 so far certainly).

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Average in wins is a ****ed up statistic because....well I have explained that before, so won't repeat.

kingkallis

International Coach
I think his 300 was against Kiwis and not Bongs.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
To me Walcott was the best batsman of the 3Ws. His average in Australia was so low because he was injured in his only series there. What he did to Lindwall and Miller in '55 is unparrelled and among the greatest series of all time for a batsman. Though he waould have been listed above Sir. Everton.

Days of Grace

International Captain
The last batsman of this section:

26. Matthew Hayden (Australia) (1994-2009)

Career Average: 50.73
Adjusted career average: 47.15
Adjusted away average: 41.17
Adjusted top-opposition average: 44.45
Top Tier centuries: 4
Second tier centuries: 13
Third tier centuries: 6
Significant innings: 45 (rank 9=)
Significant innings per match: 0.44 (rank 8=)

Great innings: 3
1st Test: Australia v Zimbabwe at Perth, Oct 9-13, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 15.95
2nd Test: Sri Lanka v Australia at Kandy, Mar 16-20, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 12.56
4th Test: Australia v England at Melbourne, Dec 26-28, 2006 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 13.23

Innings worth average: 3.16

25 Test peak adjusted average: 69.81 (2001-2003)
50 Test peak adjusted average: 57.33 (2000-2004)

Quality Points: 560
Career Points: 96
Peak Points: 146
TOTAL POINTS: 802

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't even see how his first innings counts as a great innings either. To me it's like taking a 3-fer when the side gets 5/700.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
That 54 is the worst best innings IMO. Martyn, Gilchrist and our bowlers made that 54 appear better than it was. I mean 54. Having said that, well done Haydos and I'm surprised none of his innings against India were great, because at the time I thought they were.

Also surprised this didn't make it Hayden 119 defeats Pakistan 59 & 53

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Far fewer great innings from Hayden than I'd have thought. He's the best Aussie opener though, seldom recognized as such. His peak points beat MoYo.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Far fewer great innings from Hayden than I'd have thought. He's the best Aussie opener though, seldom recognized as such. His peak points beat MoYo.
It seems as though its quite tough for an opener who plays in a successful team to produce great innings. Always comes in at 0/0, great teams normally have some other batsman who make good contributions. I still can't quite believe that the 54 which just made the great innings list beats out that 119 in the link I provided earlier. I'm impressed with his significant innings per match rating though.