• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muralitharan a burglar,a thief and a dacoit : Bedi

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With regard to the Muralitharan issue, it's nothing he hasn't said before.
He seems to be in the haven't-read-the-rules-properly group of the Murali-is-a-chucker contingent.
He doesn't once mention straightening of the elbow and simply goes on about the bent elbow, which others are supposedly copying.
When they get to First-Class level, let me assure Bishen, they'll be punished and their actions will be modified. If they're actually doing anything wrong.
And quite what he has against the use of memory-aids and identification-assistants I really don't know.

iamdavid

International Debutant
By all reports Bishen Bedi is a very nice guy , however on occasion some of the quotes gathered give the impression of a rather arrogant old man looking for headlines.

Murali has been cleared by experts , lets leave it at that.

It must be quite devestating for the Kandy man to hear all this , it would seem as though a former great had a personal vendetta against him.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
I'm sorry but no one will ever convince me that he doesn't throw the ball, and i reckon he's action is worse than it was 6 years ago.

And from people i've spoken too it seems to be the view shared by the cricket community, at least in Australia and parts of England.

Playing in the Sydney Grade competition (albeit 4th grade), and having a family which is fairly well known in NSW cricket circles, means I get good chances to speak to FC and ex-FC cricketers (occasionally international) from not only my club but other club, and i've had this discussion with quite a few guys from Australia and around the world (primarily England), and 8 out of 10 say he chucks, 1 says they agree he doesn't, and the other 1 is very careful with what they say.

and Remember Gillys little slip up about a year ago at a sponsors luncheon - that was hushed under the carpet very quickly before the PC police really get stuck into him.

and when you see guys interviewed on tv, when asked about him, they often refer to his "unusual action"........hmmm i wonder what they're pointing at there.....

Just because people don't publicly say it, there is a huge feeling of discontent about Murali's action. But no one can come out and say anything - there'd be an absolute riot in Sri Lanka if the ICC decided to review his action again.

And if your a player, who comes out and publicly states you believe he is a thrower, you've just about cost yourself any chance of touring to Sri Lanka again. And the PC police would be onto you in a flash, and I'd say you'd just about put your spot in the national team in doubt in any case.

And given how stress free, and untiring bowling the way he does, he can bowl 40 over spells, and he could play test cricket for another 10 years. He could very well end up with 800+ wickets.

And further more to compound it, he is going to be inspiring a heap of kids around the world to bowl the way he does, and they are all going to get away with it the same way he has.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
...and so it continues.

Allowing for the fact that I cannot vouch for the integrity of either person involved in the interview concerned (Bedi or Coward), I would be utterly amazed if a lawsuit wasn't brought against Bishen Bedi for defamation of character - if, that is, a certain amount of the interview hasn't been embellished by the journalist concerned or misquoted 'twixt lip and paper.

I await further developments with interest.

In answer to those who think that I am supporting Murali regarding his action - I'm not (much) - but I would think long and hard before I described anyone as "a burglar, a thief, a dacoit" (member of an armed gang?) without talking to my lawyers first.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
He doesn't once mention straightening of the elbow and simply goes on about the bent elbow, which others are supposedly copying.
I have no problem with Murali's action in that it has come about because of a physical deformity, but 100% undeformed bowlers copying his action is wrong.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
hourn said:
And from people i've spoken too it seems to be the view shared by the cricket community, at least in Australia and parts of England.
and all other countries against whom he's had success...

krkode

State Captain
Bedi will never cease to annoy me. That's all I can say about that.

People doing the checking think he's fine with it - they've okayed him, and that's good enough for me.

I'm a watcher of cricket, a patron, no more. And so I take liberty in doing no more.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
and all other countries against whom he's had success...
actually he's had no success really against australia.

i think it is somewhat significant that despite the fact he averages over 40 (can't remember exact number) with the ball against us, but yet we still think he's action is illegal.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, Craig, nothing new.
But if old debates never resurfaced, it would be no fun at all.
Imagine what this forum would be like without the Flintoff-is-crap\Flintoff-is-brilliant (you and me against marc); the Harmison-is-better-than-everyone-else\so-what-he's-still-rubbish (marc against Rik and me); the Ramprakash-the-opener-is-totally-different-to-Ramprakash-the-middle-order-batsman\opening-is-no-different-to-batting-in-the-middle-order (me against marc); and the Clarke-is-rubbish, Agarkar-is-brilliant, etc.
Discussion would cease almost totally.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Oh the joys of twisting words.

I have never called Flintoff brilliant.
I have never said that Harmison is better than the rest, just that he is outperforming the rest, so why should his place be under threat when others aren't.
I have never said that opening is no different to batting in the middle order, just that it's not as big a difference as you like to make, and you can't ignore the fact that he has played those games.

Anything else you want to claim I've said?

Kenny

U19 Debutant
hourn said:
I'm sorry but no one will ever convince me that he doesn't throw the ball, and i reckon he's action is worse than it was 6 years ago.

Highly unlikely I could agree with you more.
I was pleased to see someone from the ICC mention that becasue he had been cleared a couple of years ago, that doesn't mean he has been cleared 'forever and a day'.
Also pleased to see fresh controversy has emerged about this new delivery he supposedly has.......the sooner sanity prevails and he is banned fromn the game until he changes his 'yo-yo wrist flick' for good, the better.
His bowling is a blight on the game, and the ICC dug a big hole for itself when they allowed him to keep playing.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Apparently 99% of all bowlers chuck, just only very slightly, so it is deemed fair. But Muralitharan chucks badly. Most bowlers have about 1 degree of arm straightening, but surely Murali must have much more than that. Interesting to see they are also investigating Jermaine Lawson's action.

krkode

State Captain
I don't agree with Bedi, but I like his synonymns. He essentially says the same word over and over that mean the same thing. :D

It's like saying, "I'm angry, furious and greatly incensed." :P

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kenny said:
Highly unlikely I could agree with you more.
I was pleased to see someone from the ICC mention that becasue he had been cleared a couple of years ago, that doesn't mean he has been cleared 'forever and a day'.
Also pleased to see fresh controversy has emerged about this new delivery he supposedly has.......the sooner sanity prevails and he is banned fromn the game until he changes his 'yo-yo wrist flick' for good, the better.
His bowling is a blight on the game, and the ICC dug a big hole for itself when they allowed him to keep playing.
"Yo-yo wrist-flick"?
Could you actually explain how you think Muralitharan is breaking the law? Surely no-one could be naive enough to think a double-jointed wrist is breaking the law?
The main reason most people mistakenly think Muralitharan is breaking the law is because of the fact most people can straighten their arms more than him. However, the law makes no mention of how straight the arm has to be.