• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muralitharan a burglar,a thief and a dacoit : Bedi

Lostman

State Captain
Umm, how exactly? Pretty much every standard fingerspinner (or non-massively-spinning wristspinner like Kumble) has done nothing of note in modern ODIs on non-turning pitches, it's too easy to milk or blast them. The only ones who've forged decent careers are those who have something a bit different - Dharmasena who bowled 10mph quicker than most; Saqlain and Harbhajan (for a time at least in both cases) who bowled Doosras; Vettori who is perhaps more intelligent than any other fingerspinner going around. Other than those, and perhaps to an extent Carl Hooper, virtually no fingerspinners have achieved consistently economical figures in modern (post-1990) ODIs.
jayasuriya has done ok as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Really?, pretty remarkable economy notherless, was back to his usual economical self today. :)
Well yeah, in 1 game. But he had one good, one awful game in the WC; two horror and one good game in SA at the start of that season; three awful games in the Champions Trophy; three good and three poor games in WI in 2006; and one awful and 3 OK games in the Videocon Series in 2005\06.

I think the magic of the 2004 and 2004\05 seasons is gone, sadly. Whether for good, we'll find-out eventually.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Thing is it's extremely difficult i imagine especially for a finger spinner to put in consistent and economical spells, he will inevitably have games where batsmen go after him. It's just about seeing if he can develop variation and consistentcy to counteract attacking batsmen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As a spinner, there are ways to stop batsmen going after you (and likely paying for trying). First, obviously, you need accuracy, and loads of fingerspinners have that. Accuracy alone is not enough, however, and there are a few other things you can use to compliment it and use to stop batsmen attacking you (obviously you won't be able to get it right every time, and obviously every now and then batsmen will fluke it when having a swing, but a good bowler will get good figures more often than not).

The best method is to turn it big; however, only wristspinners can do this on non-turning pitches, as fingerspinners don't have the tools to do so. Hence, if a "normal" fingerspinner plays on a non-turning pitch, it's usually very easy to score off him. And of course, the problem is that wristspin is usually very hard to control, so only very special wristspinners (namely Warne and Murali) have harnessed the control and the turn neccessary for ODI success on all surfaces. Many fingerspinners and non-big-turning wristies have had success on slower or turning pitches but not on quicker, less dry ones.

Another method is to bowl consistently very fast and flat: Dharmasena and, until the 1999 WC, Kumble, excelled at this. They usually bowled at at least 60mph, sometimes even quicker, making it hard to come down the pitch to them, but they bowled so flat they weren't often easy to cut either. However, few fingerspinners have ever managed to do this.

Another method, more difficult still, is to bowl a Doosra: Saqlain and Harbhajan did this. Now, though neither Off-Break nor Doosra will turn much on a non-turning pitch, in a game where batsmen are often looking to attack this is often still enough. Saqlain and Harbhajan actually ended-up with very different careers, Saqlain being a big wicket-taker and only reasonably economical; Harbhajan being generally very economical but not a huge wicket-taker (despite occasional sensational hauls). Of course, Saqlain and Harbhajan to boot with their Doosras were skilled flight bowlers, varying flight and length well.

Something Daniel Vettori perhaps does even better still - and he also possesses a borderline sixth-sense and seems sometimes to know better than even the batsmen what shot he's going to attempt. A good thing, too, as Vettori doesn't have a Doosra (though he does of course have an excellent Arm-Ball).

Aside from these, there have been no successful fingerspinners in modern ODI cricket, except possibly Carl Hooper, who I never saw bowl much and don't know the secret of his relative success.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, that's a question I ask many times whenever I think about it.

Perhaps this: it's very often successful at lower levels due to different pitch styles (even in Australia and especially in South Africa), and most players don't start bowling something at the age of 6 or 7 thinking "what about when I get to international level?" - they just bowl what they can bowl well and what works at the time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I (and, TBF, I think Mitchell too) told you - you should take your seam-up more seriously. You bowl it well enough to do so IMO.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, was those rare occasions where I actually got a run up tbh, am useless of 5 paces in the nets. Next meet up, I promise i'll bowl leg breaks all the time. :)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
The obvious example is Shabbir Ahmed's efforts in the 1st test v England in 2005/6. Now, on inspection, it was seen that Shabbir was indeed throwing & he was duly banned for 12 months. The (IIRC) 5 wickets he took undoubtedly affected the result, but the result still stands.
Sometimes I'm really amazed at the bitterness carried over by some respected members on this forum. Just to clarify here (not for the first time either), from all reports from late 2005, Shabbir was doing fine and not bending his arm over the limit through the first inning when he took 4 of his 5 wickets. He started throwing in the second inning (end of day 4) when he got Trescothick. One wicket was all that he took. A case can be made that it may or may not have affected the result, but the point is that his action was fine through the first inning.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Me, I've always liked Shabbir Ahmed as a bowler and I don't really care that much whether he was throwing it - as tec once said, "he wasn't throwing grenades". However, the implication IIRR was that he was bowling OK elbow-wise at the time when he was offering little threat, then fell back into bad old ways, and begun to be effective.

Why he didn't open the bowling in that first-innings, though, I'll never know.