• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muralitharan a burglar,a thief and a dacoit : Bedi

iamdavid

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
I think that rajat's post makes a great deal of sense - apart from one word I do not understand. It seems to be a little insulting to Bedi so that's fine by me.

He (Bedi) seems to court controversy - someone likened him to David Hookes earlier which seems apt - a couple of spiteful old cricketers hanging on to the fading glimmer of public recognition.

But I could be wrong.
Couldnt agree with you more , this is the most apt description of these two I have come across , every time you look at Wisden Asia you see "Tendulkar is fat"- Bedi , "Murali would be a great javelin thrower" - Bedi , "Harbhajan's not worth the weight of his turban overseas"- Bedi , etc , etc.

He appears to simply be seeking attention , perhaps getting bored in the realisation the public dont really care about him like they once did.
Much the same with Hookes , no one really cares what he says anymore , its nothing new.

originally posted by Rajat
i can compare ur language to an alien, who has come from a planet called "jhunjhunlala".
You're a funny guy Rajat :rolleyes:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
krkode said:
he's cleared already, and if the people at the top are fine with it, then I'll live with it.
I wonder where the ICC stand on checking his new deliveries?

If there's a doubt with one of them, then surely that can be inspected?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JohnnyA said:
Yeah .. but I don't mind that ... I love watching Murali bowling ... if that's illegal ... so what IHMO

Fast bowlers area different matter ... for me anyway.
But the thing is Fast Bowlers don't gain anywhere near as much an advantage from throwing that spinners do - so that's why it's such a question in this case.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
pontingrulz said:
oi rajat. YOu no speaka da english?
This is an International forum open to people from all over the World.

As such, the standards of English is going to differ as it's not the first language for a lot of people on here, but the rest of us have learned to be tolerant of it, as we can make the general gist out of anything. I ask that in future you show the same tolerance towards those from other countries who are making an effort.

As it stands, that post did make sense though.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
I wonder where the ICC stand on checking his new deliveries?

If there's a doubt with one of them, then surely that can be inspected?
Yup, just because he has been cleared doesn't ean he's cleared forever. They can investigate it again at any time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
halsey said:
A yo-yo wrist flick is not breaking the law. But, like Kenny, I will never be convinced he doesn't chuck it. I have a suspicion (as do alot of the people at my school) that he straightens his arm when he celebrates.
And you know better than the doctors who have confirmed that 160 degrees is about the straightest his arm can get?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gems said:
Well, I have always been suspicious of Murali even though he's been cleared and all that. I know he has a defect but that has always just made me think that he shouldn't be bowling or that he should be working on his bowling action to make it less suspicious.
He can't make it less suspicious and nor is there any justification for him not bowling - because he's not breaking the rules. Nowhere do the rules state that the arm must be 180 degrees at any point in delivery.
His action is not suspicious to those who actually know the rules, so he can't make it any less suspicious.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
JohnnyA said:
He chucks his leg break
And on what do you base that judgement? Exhaustive comparison between lots of angles and all three of the deliveries? Because I have based the judgement that none of his deliveries are illigal on this. So have learned physicians at WA University.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gems said:
Murali is not a genius, he's a double-jointed suspicious bowler.
So you're saying that his double-jointed wrist makes him suspicious.
Well, that's one I haven't heard before.
A double-jointed wrist is not illegal in any way, it just enables him to put more spin on the ball than most. Rather like Shoaib Akhtar can bowl faster than anyone because he can get his arm to move through the air faster than anyone can get theirs to.
Being more able than someone is not illegal.
Most people have imagined that Murali's action is illegal because he can't straighten his arm to 180 degrees, but fortunately the rules don't mention that this must be done for an action to be legal.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Must admit I agree with Richard here.

By the way Gems did you used to post on the Cricinfo English Cricket Forum ??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gems said:
Ah but that is the point krkode(!)

Murali is regularly suspected but rarely inspected .

If he wasn't chucking that ball at least some of the time, it would not be an issue. There is so much else in cricket to be concentrating on that people would dismiss Murali's action if they truly thought it was not suspect.
Murali has been inspected by learned physicians at one of the most senior Universities in The World. Once is enough. Nothing is going to have changed.
It is an issue because stubborn people won't accept that there are some who know better than they do. Some people have read the rules properly, and some people have made extensive studies of Murali bowling. They have come to the conclusion that his action is legal.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vishnureddy said:
Kode, what's your opinion of Kirtley (i.e.,if you have seen him bowl ) ? He doesn't get that many wickets but i think he chucks it too.
You think Kirtley and Shoaib chuck it? Vish, come on!
And this is totally different to Murali - in fact it's the exact opposite.
Both of them have hyper-extension of the elbow, meaning their arms are extended beyond 180 degrees. However, neither straighten their arms throughout the course of their actions; some angles give this mistaken impression.
Murali is different to these two.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
JohnnyA said:
Yup ... as long as the arm comes over the top ...
Do you really think the rule about actions was brought in solely for the safety of batsmen?
No, it is just like the bad-light rule. If there is a danger to the batsman or an unfair advantage to the fielding side then play must be stopped. The outlaw of throwing is exactly the same.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Murali has been inspected by learned physicians at one of the most senior Universities in The World. Once is enough. Nothing is going to have changed.
Assuming his action is unchanged for the new deliveries he introduces to his armoury, which I cannot comment on having not seen him bowl them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I can...
He's had his top-spinner for a while now and there is almost no discernible change in the action, wrist or arm. I've looked at it from many different balls of many different angles and never does it seem suspect. I did this ages ago.
The leg-break has a definate change in the wrist (someone who can bowl a leg-break and an off-break with the same action is not really possible) but no change in the arm, I can tell you that for certain having studied it in Sri Lanka.
One thing I must ask is: why does everyone want all of Murali's different deliveries investigated, when Warne bowls (at last estimate) 17 different balls and no-one has ever noticed anything wrong with any of them? They're all bowled with his arm as straight as he can get it.
Why on Earth should Murali be any different?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Why on Earth should Murali be any different?
Because, he is just that. Different.

His deformity gives an illusion of throwing.

It has been dispelled by scientists, but who's to say his delivery isn't different when bowling these new ones? A quick review by the panel would clear it all up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I would not object to that at all.
However, to imagine it would dispel the doubters is wishful.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Richard said:
when Warne bowls (at last estimate) 17 different balls
Warne was interviewed on Television during the lunch break on BoXing day , he himself confessed he has just 8 different deliveries , just varies the pace.

Gems

Cricket Spectator
iamdavid said:

By the way Gems did you used to post on the Cricinfo English Cricket Forum ??
Nope, not as my memory serves me. I thought that forum was been closed though? Why? Did you used to post there?
I'm assuming that someone called Gems posted there, Gems is a nickname for me.

Gems

Cricket Spectator
:yawn: Richard I am still searching for the post where I actually said being double jointed was illegal. I still think his action is suspicious and will continue to be so no matter how often you trawl through my posts and nit pick. The majority of my posts being written very late after working the entire day on Friday.
I wouldn't mind but I am clearly not the only one who thinks him suspicious. From what I've read a lot of forum members also think so and we clearly know that all over the World a vast amount cricketers do think so to.
Perhaps I didn't write some of the posts as I meant to but tiredness will do that to you!
Feel free to nit pick at this post too. :yawn: